SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Commercial vs government 320
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial vs government 320 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

Considering that the double click ceases to exist once the 320 upgrade is done to the firearm as reported in another thread, apparently some folks at SIG agrees that it was worth eliminating.

Do you really think that Sig set out to eliminate the click, or that it played any part in the "upgrade" development or decision tree?

I doubt that.

Personally, I like the click.

I don't think Sig cares if I like it, either.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think SIG intended to remove the double click.

The change to a disconnector doesn't have anything to do with a drop. Perhaps the word is misleading people. Understand that the trigger either includes a sear or interfaces with one. The sear holds the hammer or striker back. When the trigger is pulled, the sear is released, the firearm fires. With the trigger back, the sear wouldn't catch again and the hammer or striker would follow the slide or bolt forward. A disconnector catches the hammer or striker and holds it until the trigger is let off. The reset is the sear reengaging and the disconnector is disengaged. Now the pistol is ready to fire again.

The original P320 design resets the sear on the second click. Somehow, it also disengages the trigger. The reset is the trigger reengaging the sear. I don't see of a reason to do this instead of using a disconnector, other than just to be different and clever. I feel like it's one of those things where they were more concerned about if they could do it than whether they should. I kinda feel the same about the lightened trigger in lieu of a tabbed/hinged trigger. I feel like there's ego or a desire to be different at play.

But I'm also no firearm mechanical engineer. Maybe they had good reasons.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
SIG did not set out to fix the “double click”.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then why add a trigger disconnector?

TTAG reported it was to change the double click: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCiPnTU8PA. You can fast forward to 1:18.

I obviously wasn't invited to SIG to check out the upgrade, but TTAG was.

There was already a magazine disconnect to prevent firing without a magazine inserted and a trigger bar disconnect to prevent firing OOB. Why add a trigger disconnector if not to remove the double click? And maybe it's semantics, they didn't set out to remove the click but rather make a more traditional function, which by its nature removes the double click.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good for them. The evolution of what we are seeing now cane from independent R&D and it had nothing to do with the double click hysteria. One step further, the disconnect or was T&E’d long before the internet double click hysteria became a thing. And I can tell you that for a fact.

Guess what? There are a multitude of things in T&E right now. We may see some incorporated into future evolutions, we may not.

People can choose to believe what suits them, or what drives whatever narrative they wish.

But, the above is about as close to the horses mouth you’ll get unless the actual designer chooses to post on the topic.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the internet double click hysteria became a thing.

jl, I don't see it as internet hysteria as much as internet knowledge being passed around. It's been proven in civilian pistols that if you pull that trigger the wrong way, the pistol will not fire. And, conveniently, the military version apparently doesn't suffer that issue anymore (if it ever did).

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, ok then. Facts still don't back up that it is a problem.

www.opspectraining.com

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Here's a review of what is being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...IY2EoJwE&app=desktop

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Well, ok then. Facts still don't back up that it is a problem.

It doesn't appear to be a problem for the military and hopefully won't be a problem for voluntarily upgraded civ/LE pistols.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Thank you for that; very informative.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Thank you for that; very informative.

Yes, according to the video, the disconnect gives a "much different feeling trigger" and a "better trigger". "Better" in what way? "Better" in that it should finally be expected to ignite a round each time it's pulled....but no one will say or admit that.

posted Hide Post
Today I picked up a P320 subcompact kit that was gently used, on the shelf of a local shop. This evening, I removed the fire control unit from a P320 compact in the safe, and installed it in the subcompact.

None of my P320's exhibit any adverse issues. With this unit in the subcompact, I get two separate and distinct clicks when dry firing; a greater travel distance of the trigger, and greater time between them. In all my P320's, the tripping of the striker and the reset takes place close enough together that there's virtually nothing to separate them, and it's very hard to short stroke the pistol or to stop the trigger movement enough that it won't reset.

Not so with this subcompact kit, and I'm not sure why. About every fifth time cycling the slide dry firing, there's a very different sound, two distinct clicks, and when playing with the slide and trigger movement, it's very possible to either short stroke one direction or the other and not get a live press of the trigger on the subsequent dry fire. I'm not sure why this is so pronounced in the subcompact frame, but it is.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post