SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who Can Tell Me About The Remington R-51?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Can Tell Me About The Remington R-51? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I don't want to derail your thread, but I would like to understand your lack of trust in the 938.

Yes, please. I'd like to know more as well, as I'm thoroughly pleased with my P938.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I don't want to derail your thread, but I would like to understand your lack of trust in the 938.

Yes, please. I'd like to know more as well, as I'm thoroughly pleased with my P938.

Me too, please!
But keeping on topic, in August of 16 I bought an R51. It was no good. I returned it to Remington and they sent me a new one. That one would not fire after the first round; it was a trigger problem. It too was sent back to Remington. In January of 17 I received a replacement. Since then and more than 1500 rnds, it is flawless and fun to shoot.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have followed the disaster that is the R51. I have to admit if I found one for under 2 bills I would be tempted to try it out. If it sucked the thread would go 5 pages minimum of guys telling me what did I expect, which is fun in a way. If it worked, its a cheap gun that is functionally neat.

Disclaimer: I have been known to throw away money at times. Usually I don't know upfront that I was throwing money away so buying this would be a change on that front.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why take the chance? Just buy a used Glock,Sig or HK and be happy.Won't cost you a whole lot more.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Cause I have all of those. This is supposed to be fun!

I like tinkering. If they eventually get these right it is a neat little gun. Will it ever replace all those you mentioned? Not a chance but for cheap I would play with one.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a leash and a collar for your new dog.

A 50 round box of ammunition will last for weeks with your new pistol.

woof

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! Think of all the $$$ I will save not being able to get through a box of ammo per range session.

If I could walk out the door at under 200 bucks I would play with one. And unlike a dog, if/when it sucks I won’t feel bad about locking it away and not feeding it. Plus in a hundred years my ancestors can sell it as a pricy antique firearm.

Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I purchased my R51 in September of 2019 and it has been 100% reliable from day one. I have run a wide range of ammo thru it including 115 and 124 FMJ, GDHP 124gr, HST 124gr., and both of those in standard and +P versions. Probably a total of around 400-500 rounds, I didn't keep an accurate count. I put Talon Grips on it, just loved the overall feel of the pistol, and carried it for a short while. It sits in the safe now, not because I don't like it or trusts it, but I've just got a number of other guns I like now in my carry rotation. BTW - This includes a Sig Legion P938 which I really like, along with CZ P-07v2, Browning Hi-Power, P229 Combat, and a few 1911's in 9mm. I prefer TT Gunleather both IWB and OWB.
Maybe I just got one of the good R51's but I buy a lot of guns and I'm beginning to think that quality control varies substantially from one manufacturer to the other and even day to day.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because the R51 is so unlike any other handgun on the market, it posed unforeseen challenges in manufacturing when it was first introduced in 2014. Since then, our engineers have worked tirelessly to address the issues and exhaustively test the solutions, and we’re proud to say the redesigned R51 surpasses even our initial expectations.

With manufacturing tolerances super-tuned to its unique build, the R51 not only functions flawlessly, it sets new performance standards in the subcompact category. Despite early setbacks, we never wavered in our commitment to bring the R51 to market. America deserves this handgun. You deserve this handgun. And we’re proud to bring it to you.

This is actually pretty funny. They’re not screwin’ around this time; they brought in a full freight train worth of horse shit.

“Because the R51 is so unlike any other handgun on the market, it posed unforeseen challenges…”

Well, that certainly explains shipping the pistols out with the rear sights installed backwards. It’s not like the dots facing the muzzle was an indication that something was amiss.

“America deserves this handgun. You deserve this handgun.”

Ya know, I’d actually enjoy having a few beers with the people that came up with this load of shit. I’m sure it would make for a very entertaining evening.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Merica, fuck yeh!

posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is the Phyllis Diller of pistols? Comedic attempt and ugly as sin.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pedersen locking design has an advantage in making concealed carry guns more compact; that initially got my attention.

The initial production of the R-51 was a total abomination. The word locally was that some minor changes were made at the factory to ease production ... without looping back to the R&D group. There was also the issue of launching the production of a new model in a plant that was planned to be closed and with workers who were not planned to be retained. At any rate, the first production run in Charlotte was a disaster.

The two years required to sort out issues and resume production were unconscionable. However, it made no sense to invest in retooling in Charlotte with that plant's workforce melting away. The delay in starting production in Huntsville was presumably an effort to get things right. However, when the second production run started in Huntsville, some existing stocks of Charlotte-made parts were used in the guns, which was not confidence-inspiring.

I was interested in the design when the R-51 was introduced. Luckily, I did not immediately buy one as I have seen too many cases of companies using early purchasers as beta testers. After the R-51 was re-introduced, my son took one in on a trade and handed it to me to test.

The second-generation R-51 was a solid performer and I had no problems with it. By far the most common remaining complaints about the new R-51s involve disassembly and reassembly. Bluntly, it is not a difficult process, but it is different from what most people are familiar with in Browning-design pistols.

If I were looking for a compact 9mm, I would certainly give consideration to a Huntsville-marked R-51.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
A couple of additional commeents I didn't mention in my earlier post:

1) The R51 is a soft shooting pistol and where it really shines (IMHO) is in handling +P loads. I was surprised and the lack of felt recoil and how easy it was to stay on target for follow-up shots.
2) Yes, the disassembly for cleaning is challenging for the first couple of times. You wish you had a third hand cause of how everything needs to come together on reassembly. It's unlike any other pistol. I was spoiled by how easy Glocks, Sigs, etc. are. If you get one, I would suggest you view some online videos before attempting.
3) Finally, many think the R51 is butt ugly. I was attracting to it in the beginning because I thought it looked sleek and "futuristic". And, for me the ergonomics were great. I put a set of Talon Grips on it and that made it damn near perfect.

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I purchased my R51 in September of 2019...

Good to know that we have something to look forward to in seven months. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
When something has had such a problematic history I find myself unable to trust it. I’d personally recommend against buying one. This opinion is worth about half what you paid for it. Wink

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I gotta start proofing my posts.
I purchased my R51 in 2017.

Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
I really like my RM380. No issues at all. Not saying that they figured the 51 out for sure, but they can still make a nice pistol.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post