SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who Can Tell Me About The Remington R-51?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Can Tell Me About The Remington R-51? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Featured in the latest (2/12/19) Gunbroker newsletter, the Remington R-51 is said to be "lest felt recoil, light slide racking force, optimized grip angle and slim aluminum frame, 9mm +p match-grade barrel, light, smooth and crisp trigger."

In a package that isn't half-bad looking.

$259 gets you (me) a 9mm, 3.4" barrel, 2 7-round magazines, 3-dot adjustable sights. Comes in smoke grey & black.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I actually owned an original model 51, so I was excited for these.

They've um, had problems.

The picture you've posted looks like they've been working on it, because that's all new and fangled compared to the first attempts at reintroducing the pistol.

The action is an innovation, from the past. I'd like to own one myself, once they're proven reliable.

I'd have kept my 51, if it could withstand modern ammunition.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
My first thought “it looks like a squirt gun”. I have never shot a Remington handgun but interested in what others that have say.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Run away.

You’d be better off spending that $250 on a Kel-Tec PF9

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
REALLY cool looking gun. Pretty svelt.

To quote the above......
“They've um, had problems.“

More succinctly they have been a shit show rarely seen in a modern product introduction. I would love them to get things ironed out but the damage is done.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
They had a "re-release" of these back in 2016 after issues with the initial release in 2014. The 2016 version was the Gen 2. Curious if the latest news letter is a third attempt from Remington to fix this POS.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
They had a "re-release" of these back in 2016 after issues with the initial release in 2014. The 2016 version was the Gen 2. Curious if the latest news letter is a third attempt from Remington to fix this POS.

technically, the first was in the 50's, then 2014, then 2016, then this current batch...

I am not a big fan. I have shot both the 2014, and 16 versions.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Remington 'fesses up to their previous problems and claims they have been making great strides.
quote:
Because the R51 is so unlike any other handgun on the market, it posed unforeseen challenges in manufacturing when it was first introduced in 2014. Since then, our engineers have worked tirelessly to address the issues and exhaustively test the solutions, and we’re proud to say the redesigned R51 surpasses even our initial expectations.

With manufacturing tolerances super-tuned to its unique build, the R51 not only functions flawlessly, it sets new performance standards in the subcompact category. Despite early setbacks, we never wavered in our commitment to bring the R51 to market. America deserves this handgun. You deserve this handgun. And we’re proud to bring it to you.

I've been looking to replace my SIG P938. That's why I'm curious about this new gun. I'll keep reading to see what reviews say.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Run away!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Run away!!

Yeah, probably right. The Truth About Guns reviewed the "2.0" version last year and found it, shall we say, lacking.

quote:
Overall: * * *
Bottom line: Let’s not make shooting harder than it has to be, Remington. You’ve got a stylish pistol with a good trigger and easy-to-see sights that points nicely. The exotic action makes it a pain to clean without bringing any tangible benefits to the table. The magazine tension makes racking the slide on a full magazine harder than it should be.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I see them going for as low as $199 on some of the online places.

I would take one for free, only to use it as local sale / trade fodder, but I'd never spend a dime on one.

But then again people like throwing their money way sometimes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First time I have seen a pistol marked "9mm+P".
Really?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Their advertisements say they’re very good”, as Grandma used to say.

Wink

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I read one reviewer who said he had two of them and trusted them entirely. After a break-in period.

I have two problems: I can't seem to find any consistency (or availability) on the P365, and I can't find a trusty gun to replace my P938.

The reviews of the R-51 are all over the map, and I can't tell whether the gun is *new* as of 2018, or reviewers are re-hashing the 2016 release. That, plus the apparent difficulty of break-down and re-assembly (P938 owners ought to relate) of the R-51 give one pause...

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you're going to buy it, you may want to get ahead of the game and start being disappointed right now.

I wouldn't take a current production Remington firearm if you gave it to me. Think that's an exaggeration? Think again. I'm as serious as I can be. Remington is done as far as I'm concerned.

The abomination pictured in this thread is a prime example of just how badly Remington sucks these days. Remington need to stop worrying about Goddamned cosmetics and appearances and go back to producing firearms that actually function. Shameful. For the oldest extant US firearms manufacturer, this is shameful.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first I thought this was a troll. Then I saw the join date of 2015 and I guess it’s possible for someone new to guns not to have heard of the abortion of a product known as the R51. It can be an easy mistake, as non-gun people are familiar with the Remington name, but unaware how bad they are now.

Remington would have to make some serious changes, like top down changes starting with ownership down through all major decision makers, for me to consider buying from them.

And it’s not just the R51. They managed to turn the 700 from the standard to a cautionary tale. And my 870 is pretty much garbage. They can’t do their bread and butter right...why would you expect them to have a successful new product?

I will admit to buying their Core-Lokt ammo, but that’s just what Wal-Mart had on the shelf in .30-06. It has been working fine.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Whew. Para and BuddyChryst have nailed the coffin shut with their posts.

As much as I don't want to, I guess I continue to tote my P938 as my EDC, hoping I'll never have to trust it with my (or anyone's) life to it.

The P365 appeals to me as a replacement, but it too, has had its issues, and is rarer than hen's teeth around here, so that isn't much of an option, either.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It says Remington right on it, stay away. I was so disappointed with current model 700 quality that I bought a Bighorn action and am going to screw together my own dang rifle.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
As much as I don't want to, I guess I continue to tote my P938 as my EDC, hoping I'll never have to trust it with my (or anyone's) life to it.

I'm curious about this. I carry one daily as well. If kept moderately (not spotlessly) clean, it has been absolutely reliable. I practice with the gun regularly, and find it accurate, reliable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain and nearly invisible in either pocket or IWB carry. Mine feeds 115 grain practice ammo and 124 grain Golden Saber with equal aplomb. In addition, I know 5 other shooters, including my daughter who carry them daily and have had the same experience that I have had.

I don't want to derail your thread, but I would like to understand your lack of trust in the 938.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You (should) buy a Glock.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post