SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W experts, Collectable models or must haves
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W experts, Collectable models or must haves Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have a opportunity to buy some trade in revolvers and would appreciate advice as to what models are more desirable. I will list the S&W models. I do not have complete model numbers.
M10
M36
M60
M637
M64
M642
M65
M681
M67

Thanks.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I would say the 65 and 64, pending both are in the 3" configuration. A 681 in good condition is also a desirable model. Good luck and post pics when and if you make a selection.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A non-heavy barrel 4” Model 64 is somewhat scarce.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not much info to say honestly,
need barrel lengths and dashes,

with what you have, 681, 67 maybe the 36 and 60

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
681 for sure, 3" configuration is always good.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert but I know out this way M36 and M60 sell very fast.
Don't forgot the M49.
Look for pinned barrels they seem more desirable.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Those are the complete model numbers. If the original boxes are available, ant of the post 1980s guns will have a six digit product code to identify their configuration

Those are all fine shooters, but unless something is unusual about the firearm, none of those models has any significant collect ability over any of the others

Buy any of them that speak to you

Buy the ones in the best condition

And don't worry what a few dozen strangers on the Internet think

I never buy a firearm as an Investment. I buy what I like and if they go up in value GREAT. If they do not, I don't sweat it as I had years of enjoyment out of the revolver

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless they have some unusual configuration (rare barrel length, factory engraving, etc.) or provenance (shipped to a President or General), none of the models you listed would be of interest to collectors. They would all be great shooters for a variety of purposes and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them if you like or need them.

Most S&W collectors are more interested in the revolvers that don't have model numbers (pre-1957). Some of the famous named models that command a lot of collector attention and value are the Registered Magnum, the Triple Lock, and the Schofield. If you're interested, you should get a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th edition, by Jim Supica and Rick Nahas. It gives detailed descriptions and values for all S&W's from the 1850's to 2016.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
625 Mountain Gun or 625 JM. I like the classic looks of the Mountain Gun.

DSCN0669 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early issue all steel Model 39. If you can find one.
On your list: M60 and M681

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips.
I will NOT be able to lay eyes on any of the available guns, I will have to rely on somebody else to cherry pick condition.
I'm not really interested in collector value ,just models that might be more desirable.
I'm thinking the older the better even if condition (appearance)suffers. I would rather have craftsmanship.
My original thought was a 357 mag and a snubnose but if a great 38spl was available I would want that also.
These are all "work" guns so condition will not be that of a safe queen.
They are not giving these guns away, most average in the $300-$400 range.
There are also some Ruger GP100 and Ruger Service six. I will put in a request for a GP100. Taurus I have no interest in, some Remington 870, Winchester 1360, and Mossberg 500 shotguns too.$150-$225 range for those.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Believe me! $300 to $400 IS giving them away. Good Lord!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of them have the internal locks, none of them are must haves.

With no locks, 60, 637, 681 and 67.

The M64 would be desirable if it was a 3" version or if it had the 4" pencil barrel.

The M65 would be desirable if it had a 3" barrel.

I agree with HKSig, they aren't really collectibles. They are just desirable as shooters.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
probably good shooters, but us S&W guys mostly want P&R revolvers.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
If they are in very good condition, at $300-$400 each, it would be tempting to not buy them all. Not a S&W expert by a long shot, but used S&W revolvers are hardly seen in the local shops around me now. When one does show up, it brings a price on the high end of the scale.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
681 would be my pick of that bunch. Possibly others, but would need more info.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SS revolvers listed are just not very collectable. At least not now. They are all great revolvers to shoot. None should be more than $400 to own. If i had to pick any, the model 36 could have some collector value as may the model 60. I say could as it depends on lots of things. If they are do not have a pinned barrel, then really none of them will have collector right now anyway. The SS guns they seems to be gaining steam as collectable are the model The Model 65 & 66 and 67 and short barrel versions of the Model 686. Old Pre model 10s have collector value as do pre model 36s (Chiefs Specials). Again they are all good fun to shoot. I have many of them. The DA model 64s Police Trade-ins seem to have awesome triggers. They can be had for $250-$300 too. Good luck.
Having target sights puts a premium on similar models vs the combat sights on all the others. The 642/642 are easy to sell and great pocket carry BUGS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbliss57,

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are all shooters, not collectors, barring one being very unusual.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
681 for sure.

Maybe the model 10 depending on what it is. Heavy Barrel is good.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post