SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W experts, Collectable models or must haves
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W experts, Collectable models or must haves Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I requested;
Model 681
Model 65
preference was 3" barrel in 357 mag. pinned barrels and the older the better.
I hope to hear back Monday as to how much "picking" they will do.
I also asked about a REM 870 if Wingmaster.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Have never seen or heard of a 3" 681, but there may be one out there. On the 3" 65, if you get one I hope it is not the recent version from about 10 years ago that the barrels would not stay on. NCDOC traded in hundreds that had that problem, but S&W kept all those so no longer in circulation. But the same dash number is. Good luck in your quest!

Here's a security trade in I paid $350 for a few years ago, grips added of course...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A model 65-2 3" with box and docs just sold on SW forum classifieds for $1179.. FYI

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
If any of them have the internal locks, none of them are must haves.

With no locks, 60, 637, 681 and 67.

The M64 would be desirable if it was a 3" version or if it had the 4" pencil barrel.

The M65 would be desirable if it had a 3" barrel.

I agree with HKSig, they aren't really collectibles. They are just desirable as shooters.

Bingo!
65 if it’s a 3” would be the only thing I’d go for there
K/L frames in 357 and N frames are where the collectable stuff starts
And that is pre-lock and preferably pinned barrel and recessed cylinder

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the most collectible S&W revolvers don't have model numbers. Find a Registered Magnum.

Here's one of mine...

Posts: 1315 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
A S&W mod.58 in .41 magnum. 4 inch nickel, fixed sights, pinned & recessed.

A tribute to Buford Pusser, type handgun. Been looking for one to be my blued 58's step brother.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part if you buy a S&W in .357 without the built in key lock (Hillary Hole) you would be hard pressed to lose money on it if you don't get robbed when you buy it. The shorter the barrel the more they seam to be worth also.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm no S&W expert, there are some "must haves" that will hopefully live in my household. They are pinned barreled Models 49, 60, 63 and 66.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my two cents, M67 and M60, then the 642. I've got first and the last, still looking for M60.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
It would take piles of $$$ for me to part with my mint, all original 1917... Boy, it's just amazing what dedicated craftsman who gave a damn could do with their hands, brains, and hearts over 100 years ago with a service revolver. I'd say this is definitely a must have in the old school N frame department.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector, but to me, a Model 10 is about as basic as one can get, and everyone ought to have one. I carried one for a long time, later a Model 64, heavy barrel, 4", typical for the times. I hate cleaning them, but miss the times when they were most common.

A model 36 and or 60 is very classic. I don't know about collectable, but it's quintessential S&W.

Big bore, the model 29, of course.

I think that one of the best versions of the .357 Magnum, not counting certain of the Colts, was the S&W Model 19.

When it comes to revolvers like that, I'm partial to 4". For personal carry, 3". The Model 19 is elegant.

quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
Well, the most collectible S&W revolvers don't have model numbers. Find a Registered Magnum.

That's gorgeous. Stunning, and the deep blue really something.

What would one expect to pay for something like that, assuming it could be found?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they're in good shape,(pre-locks) 3 to 4 hundred each is a good deal. My shop routinely sells these in the 5 to 6 hundred range, sometimes more.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Shot a Model 19-6 and thought it had a terrific trigger.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a model 539, factory nickel. Can't afford the ones that I have seen as I have no natural children. Most command a price of 'first born male child' and a player to be named later.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oooooooh, that is SWEEEEEET!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

In my eyes,the old snubbies' are collectors' pieces now. Here's my Mdl 66-2-1/2. Damn thing is accurate as heck and a piece of modern art that could be in a museum for outstanding industrial designs.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's one of mine...

Hi Brian, I have tried to track you down, it hasn’t been easy, I joined the Glock forum just to get in touch with you, and it wouldn’t let me… LOL…
I have a couple Sphinx AT2000s Guns and I need your expertise, could you possibl be good enough to email me at

squarehead0@rogers.com

Thank you so much,
KEITH W

Posts: 47 | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Backs out of thread, drooling over Registered Magnums.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here are a few collectables
(3)-pre model 39s (1956-57) a very early Model 39 (1958) a steel frame model 39

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
One fine revolver bac1023. Amazing piece.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post