SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fiber Optic insert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiber Optic insert Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
I have use regular lighters and the extension lighters. Anyone with any tip to melt the end of those fiber optic tube.

What about butane torch? Too much heat?

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use either a regular lighter or a BBQ lighter.

The trick is not to put it in the flame. Slowly move the flame closer to it just starts to melt. Too close and hot seems to make them brittle and they don’t last. I went through several in a weekend before someone showed me the trick.

I’ve got several thousand rounds on my current one. It needs changed because it’s dirty.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've used a butane lighter before and it seems to melt it unevenly. I probably had the flame a bit too close, but the problem is the flame jet was pretty strong.

I've used a regular Bic lighter in the past and never had an issue.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a box cutter of knife. Heat the blade til hot. Then gently press the tip of the fiber optic rod against the blade.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I trimmed mine with straight edge toenail clippers and then just used a regular lighter, getting closer to the end as stated above though not contacting the fiber optic. It will mushroom a bit and then that will help seal it so it cannot back out. Worked perfectly for my Kimber 1911. YouTube helped when I had questions on technique.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Here's the method I followed.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post