SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Used Gen2 Glock 19 or buy new?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Gen2 Glock 19 or buy new? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You'll always be able to buy a "new Glock". I'd buy that Gen 2.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I know which one I'd choose. But my choice would be based on emotion rather than anything objective. The Gen2 occupies a significant spot in my heart; a Gen2 G19 bought in 1990 was the first of many Glocks. I foolishly sold that one off only to grovel and waste away for nearly a decade Wink before I found another at a price I could tolerate. Your price is a good one, if you decide to go that route.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised by the answers in this discussion. The obvious correct answer is buy both.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I'm really surprised by the answers in this discussion. The obvious correct answer is buy both.

Quoted for truth. You can have your cake, and eat it, too.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have never even held a G19-2, but I can tell that my G19-5 is a great pistol.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you decide to go with the Gen 2, there are a couple things to check out. There was an upgrade for some of the parts on early Gen 2 G19s, so you'll need to check if it's had the "7 part upgrade". You'll also want to check that it's had the relief holes added to the frame behind the locking block, which were done to prevent the frames from cracking. If it hasn't had one or both of those upgrades, you can send it in to Glock to have the work done for free, or a Glock armorer can do the parts upgrade for free. (Just understand that if you send your Gen 2 frame in to Glock for the relief hole cuts, and the frame is found to already be developing cracks in that area, they'll dispose of the frame and replace it with a Gen 3 frame with finger grooves.)

With a new Gen 5, you don't have to worry about any of those issues.

Around here a nice Gen2 would go for around $400, perhaps less face to face, that is if you can find one.

This is a picture of what RogueJSK was referring to with regard to the relief holes.
If it doesn't have these, check VERY carefully that the frame has not cracked.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
mine was cracked and luckily the dealer took it back after Glock wanted to give it a type 3 grip. I would buy the gen 5

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall seeing the relief cuts in the frame but if they’ll replace the frame, that’s not a worry then. I wasn’t able to make it back to the shop and with a week away trip with the wife, I’m hoping it may still be on the shelf when I get back. If not, then Gen5, here I come.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For duty or off-duty carry, I'd go with the Gen5. Arguably every gun you intend to use socially should have a white light.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you decide to go with the Gen 2, there are a couple things to check out. There was an upgrade for some of the parts on early Gen 2 G19s, so you'll need to check if it's had the "7 part upgrade". You'll also want to check that it's had the relief holes added to the frame behind the locking block, which were done to prevent the frames from cracking. If it hasn't had one or both of those upgrades, you can send it in to Glock to have the work done for free, or a Glock armorer can do the parts upgrade for free. (Just understand that if you send your Gen 2 frame in to Glock for the relief hole cuts, and the frame is found to already be developing cracks in that area, they'll dispose of the frame and replace it with a Gen 3 frame with finger grooves.)

With a new Gen 5, you don't have to worry about any of those issues.

Around here a nice Gen2 would go for around $400, perhaps less face to face, that is if you can find one.

This is a picture of what RogueJSK was referring to with regard to the relief holes.
If it doesn't have these, check VERY carefully that the frame has not cracked.

Excellent post Steve!

Do you know if this issue is unique to the Gen2 G19s or are other Gen2 Glocks affected?

The reason I ask is because I have a Gen2 G22 and my Dad's old Gen2 G21.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
Ended up using gun buyer math. Bought two blue label Glocks while picking up duty Gear for some guys at work. Grabbed a gen5 19 and a 43. Wife was beside herself when I got home but I fixed the couch cushion that she’s been agonizing over with missing buttons so I’m halfway out of the doghouse.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACClauhs:
...I fixed the couch cushion that she’s been agonizing over with missing buttons so I’m halfway out of the doghouse.

You'll have to teach me that trick! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Belgian Blue asked, is this cracking specific to a Gen 2 G19 and if so, why?

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post