SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Used Gen2 Glock 19 or buy new?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Gen2 Glock 19 or buy new? Login/Join 
Picture of ACClauhs
posted
Found a Gen2 19 in the case of my LGS. Torn between a Vickers or a Gen5 and this used Gen2 popped up. Store wants $299, comes with plastic sights, one mag and Tupperware box. All proof marks on frame, slide, and barrel. GRxxx serial number and shiny internals. Obviously been carried but no signs of abuse and appears to be shot infrequently. My debate is that it’s 75% the cost of what I can get a new gen5 for. It will be used for carry or plain clothes duty at work so I don’t need the light rail. What do you guys think? Old warhorse or get a new pony?

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $299 I vote get it. My 19 was acquired well worn and needing a new $7 recoil guide rod/spring, was great to carry without worrying about keeping it pretty!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
In good shape? Get it! Preban mags?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I own both a Gen 2 and Gen 5. I carried the Gen 2 for years and used it heavily, but I prefer the Gen 5. The Gen 5 does everything the Gen 2 does, just with the added ability to use a light, better grip texture, interchangeable backstraps, and a better mag release.

If I had to get just one, I'd get the Gen 5. Even if it meant spending a bit more. Blue Label pricing for a Gen 5 is ~$400, so it's not that much more expensive.

But if you can't swing the cost of the Gen 5, and you don't care that you'll never be able to use a light with it, the Gen 2 is still a great choice for a carry gun.

If you decide to go with the Gen 2, there are a couple things to check out. There was an upgrade for some of the parts on early Gen 2 G19s, so you'll need to check if it's had the "7 part upgrade". You'll also want to check that it's had the relief holes added to the frame behind the locking block, which were done to prevent the frames from cracking. If it hasn't had one or both of those upgrades, you can send it in to Glock to have the work done for free, or a Glock armorer can do the parts upgrade for free. (Just understand that if you send your Gen 2 frame in to Glock for the relief hole cuts, and the frame is found to already be developing cracks in that area, they'll dispose of the frame and replace it with a Gen 3 frame with finger grooves.)

With a new Gen 5, you don't have to worry about any of those issues.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be able to pull my wallet out fast enough for a clean Gen 2 at that price.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the Gen 5 Blue Label guns will come with 3 mags. Compared to the used Gen 2 that only comes with one.

Figure ~$50 in price and shipping for two new factory G19 mags, and that makes a new Blue Label Gen 5 the equivalent of ~$350, which is only ~$50 more than that used Gen 2.

Well worth the additional money, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I wouldn't be able to pull my wallet out fast enough for a clean Gen 2 at that price.

Would you pull your wallet out even faster for a new Gen 5 for $350? Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you pull your wallet out even faster for a new Gen 5 for $350?

Where you getting a blue label Gen 5 for $350? Cheapest I've ever seen is $398 and the dealer tacks on a $25 fee for paperwork so they end up closer to $425

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As explained in the first part of that post, that was figuring in the added value of the two additional factory mags. The OP stated that the used Gen 2 only comes with one magazine.

$400ish minus $50ish for the two "extra" mags = $350ish

IIRC, I got my Gen 5 G19 for $410 from my local Blue Label dealer.

posted Hide Post
For that price, Id get whichever you want (vickers or gen5) and the gen 2.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At $299 that's a buy for me, but if you're buying it to carry it and can't swing both, you might pass. If you're eligible for blue label pricing, the overall value is probably better on a blue label gun.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with DaBigBR on this one. For a duty weapon at blue label pricing, go new. I'm sure some cops carry "antiques", including the Chief in my girlfriend's small town, a semi-retired guy who was given a nickeled Smith of some kind in the 1970's and still is fond of carrying it. An old Glock just doesn't make sense for anything other than collecting, or for somebody who can't afford a new one and doesn't mind not having enough magazines.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Gen 2 19's and owned a Vickers 19. The Vickers was not comfortable for IWB carry. I got a Gen 4. If the Gen 5 had been available, I would have gotten one and be carrying that instead. I don't carry my Gen 2's anymore, but that's just because it's simpler to carry the Gen 4 since it's still replaceable.

If the gun has had the frame update Rogue explained, that's a great price for that pistol. If you want a Gen 2 19, I doubt you're ever going to find as good a deal again. Gen 5's will be available for quite some time to come and it's not like the Gen 2 won't get the same job done.

quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
An old Glock just doesn't make sense for anything other than collecting, or for somebody who can't afford a new one and doesn't mind not having enough magazines.

I disagree. A new Glock might make more sense in some cases, but it's not like they have a "best by" date. I have a 1986 Gen 1 17 I carry in the winter that would change your mind if you shot it.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Gen2 because it has no rail. Gen5 if you like rails.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the gen 2 unless you have to have a rail.

I have 3 gen 2 g19’s and wouldn’t part with them.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
For that price I wouldn't pass it up.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the Gen 5 Blue Label guns will come with 3 mags. Compared to the used Gen 2 that only comes with one.

Figure ~$50 in price and shipping for two new factory G19 mags, and that makes a new Blue Label Gen 5 the equivalent of ~$350, which is only ~$50 more than that used Gen 2.

Well worth the additional money, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

Would you pull your wallet out even faster for a new Gen 5 for $350? Wink

That's gun guy math. The Gen 5 costs $400. If you add the cost of two mags to the Gen 2 then it's actually $350, still cheaper. But if the Gen 2 comes with a pre-ban mag, you can sell that for $50 and buy three new mags, so now it's only $325. And it doesn't have the hideous and useless rail. Cool

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
get the gen 5. Its your off duty carry so it's a life saving tool.... Dont get suck into this whole fanboy the gen 2 is so much more desirable.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for frame cracking

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
For your intended purposes, I'd get a Gen 4 or Gen 5 over the Vickers or the Gen 2. I like the Vickers guns but the RTF2 grip texture is rough. I don't like to carry it. As for the Gen 2, I don't get the attraction. The later versions have better features, and there's the obvious issue of whether or not the frame was upgraded.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd Listen to Rouge and PittWM.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post