SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Stainless Range Officer 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stainless Range Officer 1911 Login/Join 
posted
Thinking about getting a stainless Springfield Armory Range Officer, but worried about galling of the slide and frame. Anyone have experience with this gun?

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galling between the slide and frame of the 1911 was a problem when manufacturers started building guns in stainless steel. It took a few years(decades) for them to figure out what types of steel to use for slides and frames to minimize/ eliminate the galling. That has all been figured out, so you will have no problems with galling as long as you adequately lube the slide and rails. Personally, I prefer grease on the rails and slide vs. oil as the grease stays where you put it better and doesn’t run off. I would not have any problems with a stainless 1911, or any other firearm in stainless.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAFA71: Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless loaded (was actually looking for a stainless RO but couldn't find one at the time). I love the gun, I shoot it a lot, and I've had zero problems with galling. Keep it lubed, you'll be fine.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol MW. Did you get a fo five or 9mm? Also, please learn about useing oil on the 1911. Minimum at that. If you are shooting lots of rounds in a session, lock back your slide and let a few drops make their way down its rails to relube. Grease is too heavy on the close fit guns.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Nice pistol MW. Did you get a fo five or 9mm? Also, please learn about useing oil on the 1911. Minimum at that. If you are shooting lots of rounds in a session, lock back your slide and let a few drops make their way down its rails to relube. Grease is too heavy on the close fit guns.
Good input, thanks!

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
On my tightly fit 1911's and 2011's, I use Castrol 75W-90 full Synthetic gear lubricant.
It is sticky, much more so than any gun oil.
And it isn't thick like Slide Glide or Lithium grease and conventional gun grease.
It has significantly less "gear lube" odor than conventional 75W-90 gear oil.
But it isn't odorless... Use at your own risk if "gear oil" odor bothers you.
Differential gear lube is for hypoid gear sets (ring and pinion gears), with sliding interfaces between the gear teeth.
Pistol slides on frame rails are sliding interfaces.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post