SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Great finish on Legion barrels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great finish on Legion barrels Login/Join 
posted
I'm not sure what it is, but after several thousand rounds, there is not the slightest sign of wear on the finish.

My buddy of mine bought a new MK25, which showed wear after a few hundred rounds.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the same finish SIG is applying to the P320 pistol barrels. No sign of wear after a few hundred rounds so far. No more smileys to gauge usage.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Nitron finish barrel of my modest little P238 looks like new after ~1K rounds – no smiles, no bright spots. In contrast, the SS finish barrel of my X5 Comp had smiles after its first range trip.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, Nitron is an exceptionally durable finish.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
interesting gents. Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the MK25 developed the smiley mark.

It certainly isn't an issue with it....merely an observation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
It sounds like the same finish SIG is applying to the P320 pistol barrels. No sign of wear after a few hundred rounds so far. No more smileys to gauge usage.

I agree. The finish does look the same.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DLC

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I always thought DLC and NITRON were a flat rough finish. The barrels on my three P320 pistols have more of a shiny finish and smooth.

Thanks.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought DLC and NITRON were a flat rough finish. The barrels on my three P320 pistols have more of a shiny finish and smooth.

DLC is very smooth on my SIG barrels.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The original finish SIG called Nitron was rough, extremely abrasive, and not especially durable. What they switched to several years ago by the same name isn’t any of those.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My M11A1 has the DLC (diamond like coating}. almost 2000 rounds fired and not a mark on the barrel. Great product.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
whatever the finish on the newer barrels is I hope they continue to use it for years to come. Both of my 2022's still look like new. They are the only barrels that I own that have the new finish.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
A Sig ain't a Sig unless it has a Smiley! Smile J/K my P229 Legion ain't got no Smiley!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

DLC is very smooth on my SIG barrels.

If prepped with glass beads, its a satin/smooth finish. Aluminum Oxide/sand , a matte.

3 Pistols with DLC treated barrels, Kel Tec PF9, Walther PPS, and S2 MPc, no wear mark/s what so ever from firing/cycling.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
A Sig ain't a Sig unless it has a Smiley! Smile J/K my P229 Legion ain't got no Smiley!

Interesting that you have the same experience. That is good to know that mine isn't just a fluke.

Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks.

Ionbond DLC, which nitron has been since they have been building in the us, is only black color and can come in 3 textures.

http://www.clubcustomguns.com

Diamond Black can be applied in several final finishes.

The picture below shows an example of the three basic finishing options. It is represented by DLC on three shotgun barrels. They are (L-R) Matte, Satin, and Polished.

Click picture to view larger image

Matte
An extremely non-reflective look. Great for hunting guns, M&P, and tactical weapons.
Satin
This finish has a matte look, but with a fair amount of "sheen". The most versatile application.
High polish
Much like hot caustic bluing, the Diamond Black coating reflects the finish on the metal below. Polishing to any grit is possible in order to duplicate the finish on factory guns. A high polished finish produces a highly reflective "show" type appearance and is a good choice for fine Firearms.

Regular ionbond is different in some way and comes in different colors. Legion gray, fde, copper, etc.

Club custom guns are the agent for ionbond, it used to be springer custom.

DAV and NRA Lifetime member.

Posts: 114 | Location: Mexico | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I wonder if I could get this Diamond Black DLC Ionbond coating on my Remington 870 Marine Magnum???

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Ooh, I wonder if I could get this Diamond Black DLC Ionbond coating on my Remington 870 Marine Magnum???

Club custom guns is the agent for ionbond, contact them.

Ionbond was taking in individual stuff at one time, I think they stopped. The last place they were doing it was the location near sig.

Posts: 114 | Location: Mexico | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saltysquid:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

Club custom guns is the agent for ionbond, contact them. Link above.

Ionbond was taking in individual stuff at one time, I think they stopped. The last place they were doing it was the location near sig.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Not to derail the thread, but since we are talking about finishes, my Legion 226 has a few worn spots from the kydex holster, mainly on the trigger guard. Suggestions for what to do with the worn spots? (I've never had this happen with kydex before.)

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post