SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Legion, or MK25 with Grayguns upgrade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Legion, or MK25 with Grayguns upgrade? Login/Join 
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted
I love my Navy model 226 with a local Smith's upgrade, and am looking for another 226.

Should I get a MK25 and do a Grayguns P Pak 2 ( or other grays parts ) or get a Legion? Is the legion trigger that much better ?

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
MK25. I'm not telling you what to do, however. Just what I would do.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
There's no wrong answer here, but I'd get the MK25, because they're probably not going to be around much longer. You can always add a Legion later.

I already have a three 226s, including a 226 Legion & a MK25. If I wanted to add another one, I'd get another MK25.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

+1
I do not trust the PVD finish plus you get the real 1903 Picatinny rail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CXXX,

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 Legion 9MM and like it a lot, but was surprised to see what seems like accelerated holster wear on the muzzle.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1934 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CXXX:
quote:

+1
I do not trust the PVD finish plus you get the real 1903 Pickatinny rail.

I like the PVD color, but not its track record. I do qualify for a Black legion through the SiG APP program, if that sways anything.

Pair of 226 Navy's

si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
quote:
Originally posted by CXXX:
quote:

+1
I do not trust the PVD finish plus you get the real 1903 Pickatinny rail.

I like the PVD color, but not its track record. I do qualify for a Black legion through the SiG APP program, if that sways anything.

Sounds like it sways for you. Not for me.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
A black one would be pretty hard to pass up for me.
Pretty hard to beat the Nitron and anodized frame for durability.

I like the 226 Legion enough that now I want a 229 even though I don't really need another 229.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
MK25 all the way.

The Legion is expensive and requires work right out of the box to make it usable. It comes with many "features" that have to be removed to make it work. You can tell when I buy one, because you find a set of grips and slide lock lever for sale. I replace the grips and slide lock lever first. The slide lock lever is a piece of junk. You have to have five hands to get the think to lock back, which is helpful in training courses. It is also really helpful when you have a double feed. So I install the standard slide lock lever, and because I do that, I have to replace the grips. I sometimes replace the decocker as well. I usually then put in a 19 pound mainspring and polish the strut. Dry fire will remove any other grittiness that you may encounter. I've recently learned that SIG claims that the actions are "enhanced" but about half of the guns I encounter in classes are no better or worse than other standard P Series guns. I do wonder if they did legitimately start out enhanced, but the process removed as a cost savings measure. There are other "features" that started out with the Legion that have been replaced quietly to save a dollar, with the consumer being none the wiser.

For me, the MK25 needs an intermediate trigger, a strut polish, 19 pound main spring, and a set of sights, and that's it. Oh, and a piece of skateboard tape on front strap.

I keep learning the same lesson over and over again. The P226 is the handgun for me. I may shoot or carry other guns, but the P226 is the king.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones: I keep learning the same lesson over and over again. The P226 is the handgun for me. I may shoot or carry other guns, but the P226 is the king.

Preach Brother!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
MK25 all the way.

The Legion is expensive and requires work right out of the box to make it usable. It comes with many "features" that have to be removed to make it work. You can tell when I buy one, because you find a set of grips and slide lock lever for sale. I replace the grips and slide lock lever first. The slide lock lever is a piece of junk. You have to have five hands to get the think to lock back, which is helpful in training courses. It is also really helpful when you have a double feed. So I install the standard slide lock lever, and because I do that, I have to replace the grips. I sometimes replace the decocker as well. I usually then put in a 19 pound mainspring and polish the strut. Dry fire will remove any other grittiness that you may encounter. I've recently learned that SIG claims that the actions are "enhanced" but about half of the guns I encounter in classes are no better or worse than other standard P Series guns. I do wonder if they did legitimately start out enhanced, but the process removed as a cost savings measure. There are other "features" that started out with the Legion that have been replaced quietly to save a dollar, with the consumer being none the wiser.

For me, the MK25 needs an intermediate trigger, a strut polish, 19 pound main spring, and a set of sights, and that's it. Oh, and a piece of skateboard tape on front strap.

I keep learning the same lesson over and over again. The P226 is the handgun for me. I may shoot or carry other guns, but the P226 is the king.
Like what other features?

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a normal slide lock lever and another set of grips coming for mine.
As jljones noted it is unusable and not a desired feature for me.

My Select has the same grips and controls but I can use it on that one.
There seems to be a bit less material around the catch so that I'm able to use it.

I was going to sand it down a bit and see if I could make it work better but found a set of grips that I like better and just got a normal catch to go with them.
Other than that it's good to go for me. I can't really complain for what I paid for it.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
MK25 all the way.

Thank you sir. The details made up my mind.

Pair of 226 Navy's

si vis pacem para bellvm

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
MK25 with Robert Burke’s fast turn around action job. My 2¢.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
MK25 with Robert Burke’s fast turn around action job. My 2¢.

I have to agree on this. Granted, I love my SAO 226 Legion but if you're going standard DA/SA 226 - go the MK25 route. I sent mine to Robert Burke, was very impressed with the personal phone contact, constant communication updates and fast turnaround. The trigger is outstanding! Worth every bit. That first experience won't be my last with them.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The X5 slide lock lever is a must for me on any DA/SA Sig. Ameriglo has a great selection of sights.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Where can you buy an X5 lever?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1KPerDay, contact Sig customer service.

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
MK25 all the way.

You and I must be in the same classroom? Every time I pick up my 226 SAO after jacking around with all my other Sig’s (320’s) I just... smile!

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
MK25 all the way.

You and I must be in the same classroom? Every time I pick up my 226 SAO after jacking around with all my other Sig’s (320’s) I just... smile!
Go MK25

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post