SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Slide Lightening Cuts V/S No Lightening Cuts Pics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Slide Lightening Cuts V/S No Lightening Cuts Pics? Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted
Does anyone or can anyone supply pics of a P320 slide with and without the lightening cuts, First Gen/Second Gen slides?

What was the purpose of eliminating them?

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to search "pretension P320" There were pics in a thread, I could not locate it. There are 3 version of the slide, one with cuts, one with less cuts and one (like mine) with no lightening cuts or drain holes.

Dave

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Try to search "pretension P320" There were pics in a thread, I could not locate it. There are 3 version of the slide, one with cuts, one with less cuts and one (like mine) with no lightening cuts or drain holes.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, I had no idea there were three different types.

I couldn't locate the thread either.

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has all three slides and can show what the differences are?

If you don't have pics and know an explanation would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks family.

Picture of 98z28
posted Hide Post
Here’s the underside of two recent P320 compact slides. The top slide is the newest iteration that supposedly addresses the FTE issues. It is off of a gun with a manufacture date in February 2017. The bottom slide is off of a gun with a manufacture date of October 2016. The older slide has more material removed and the hammer ramp has a different profile.

If, in the opinion of the people, the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.
— George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Posts: 1092 | Location: South Mississippi | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Thanks 98z28.

I've got to look at mine again when I get a chance I believe it has the milling recess in the front, but not the two large holes in the middle.

Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
Id be very curious to see what sort of weight difference that really ends up making.

Or do we believe its a vibration/resonance or balance thing? Or could it be that the gasses generated by combustion and exhaustion affect the spring and extractor interface enough to move things? Theres a direct pathway there.

Its really interesting to me how they will just bounce back and forth between machining batches. IIRC, some of the way earlier P320s (2015) were not weight reduced/pocketed.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
No idea, I was hoping Bruce would see this and give us all some insight on the changes and why they needed to be made.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The lightening cuts were added pre-production. A client of SIG was using a 94 grain frangible round that they used on their indoor ranges. SIG prepped the guns in testing to run the 94 grain round well as the client was a larger one.

Then the gun went into production and hit the streets. It was plagued with failure to extract/failure to eject problems. Slide velocity was a major contributing factor. The slides were too light. SIG decided after trial and error to do away with the lightening cuts about the same time that the client that they had modified the guns for was no longer using frang round.

The problems weren't limited to FTE either. Many guns exhibited barrel chatter. The front of the barrel hood would pock marks in it due to the slide velocity being violent. The leading edge would be pelted by the slide because it came back so swiftly.

I had three 320 compacts. None would run. My full sized guns run like a champ.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JJ, that is interesting. I wonder if that's what contributed to my early 320 stinging the crap out of my trigger finger?

I'll have to look when I get home, but I think mine has that center rail all the way to the rear of the slide if I recall correctly, giving yet a 4th a possible option. Lemme check first!

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if that's what contributed to my early 320 stinging the crap out of my trigger finger?

Pretty sure that was actually due to the trigger itself as they redesigned it as well.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Beta testing at it's best.

I have a P320C with the cuts that runs fine, but I hope to not have it for too much longer. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Mine has the cuts and I bought it new in early 2017. Haven't had any problems as yet. It's the compact 9mm model. Should I be concerned?

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2402 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
Mine has the cuts and I bought it new in early 2017. Haven't had any problems as yet. It's the compact 9mm model. Should I be concerned?

There are lots out there that haven't had problems so far.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 compact or carry models with the 3 different cut profiles. I never had issues with any of them.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:

I too have an early 2017 compact 9mm, no issues so far. I looked yesterday afternoon, two holes and the milled cut under the front of the slide.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inside knowledge, Jerry, much appreciated, Sir.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of photos of the gun that had barrel chatter. You can see the pock marks on the barrel hood. The indentions were able to be felt under a finger nail, almost as if you'd taken a punch and hit the hood several times.

On the slide, the mark was smooth, and did not have any texture to it.

Until something drastically changes, I am done with the compact. This was gun #3. This occurred within the first thousand rounds, and worsened the more you shot it.

www.opspectraining.com

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I don't get to shoot near as often as you, it will be next year before I can tell if I'm having that issue with my compact 9mm.