SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does SIG hold any kind of control or patent over alternative 320 frame creation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does SIG hold any kind of control or patent over alternative 320 frame creation Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
To create the mold for a grip module is not something trivial, or inexpensive. Think tens of thousands of dollars. Then there needs to be a market to sell them and make some money doing so.

Hopefully SIG would not make modifications that would render after-market investments worthless, but there is no guaranty that would not happen.

Roy at Grayguns spend a lot of hours creating the working, prototype grip module (from a stock grip module) that was presented to SIG a more than 18 months ago as the foundation of the X5 grip module. That was just creating the mockup, certainly not a proper mold.

It certainly could be done.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Molds run between $30k-$40k before you even start production.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
To take what Steve is saying further, I highly doubt we will see after market injection molded SIG grip modules.

If we see completely new grip module designs they would likely be billet aluminum or stainless steel.

But you never know, I personally never expected Magpul to make phone cases. They might get bored one day and make some 320 grip modules.

quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
The bonus of having the laser right under the muzzle is it'll be more accurate at different distances. That is one thing I don't like about most light/laser combos is the laser is under the light, and it's so far from the muzzle you can only adjust it for one distance and then you move the target back or forth 5ft and the laser is no longer lined up with your sights. More of an issue on rifles, obviously, but still an issue I notice at the range.

I prefer the Crimson Trace placement, it is even closer to the bore. But TBH at the distances I would use a laser on a pistol the offset is minor.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
3d printing is the way to go.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Even though the P320 is pretty popular, I don't know if there is enough of a base of guns out there to support model specific accessories yet, especially those that need large number mass production to justify the startup costs.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I don't think holater compatibility would be a problem, provided the rail/dust cover, trigger guard, and overall frame dimensions were the same.

I'd imagine most of the market for this would be different materials, as already posted, or different grip countours (similar to what Lone Wolf did with replacement Glock frames).

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I just wish I could get some compact or full grip modules without the rail.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Some grips seem to be unobtainable. Have been looking for a Full size P320, Small grip, in black for quite some time. Even the very-large, local "premium" Sig dealer can not get such a grip.

If the Government deal goes into production, it may be even more difficult to get grips other than Medium. Mac

P320mac: There is a P320 exactly as you describe on Gunbroker right now (2-4-17) Black frame, compact grip, full size slide. Do Gunbroker search for P320 Compact and it comes up...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Some grips seem to be unobtainable. Have been looking for a Full size P320, Small grip, in black for quite some time. Even the very-large, local "premium" Sig dealer can not get such a grip.

If the Government deal goes into production, it may be even more difficult to get grips other than Medium. Mac

Put a call in to the SIG Pro Shop. If they do not have it (which is a rarity), they can get it within a few days. I was teaching a class out there two years ago when modules were really hard to get, asked a sales rep if they had a compact large in FDE, she smiled and said they did not. She picked up the phone, and had it the next day. Picked it up and installed it on the break.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
US2009071053A1 (2009)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prince Herman,

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I just wish I could get some compact or full grip modules without the rail.

You'll have to mod the grips yourself.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You mean like this:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9qIVsWfRLP8

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Hmmm, or an 80% frame, like those 80% Glock frames that are floating around.

Buy it, do the remaining 20%, and ....... P320.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The expense of making modules? Really? That's a deterrent? In this age of China outsourcing?

If someone REALLY wanted to get into the SIG grip module business, all they would have to do is come with their design(s) and partner with some plastics manufacturer in China. That sort of strategy works quite well for countless companies both outside and within the gun world, including SIG themselves (optics, accessories).

Of course, whether you would want to trust your personal safety to a $10 offshore-sourced module, well that's something entirely different.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post