SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does SIG hold any kind of control or patent over alternative 320 frame creation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does SIG hold any kind of control or patent over alternative 320 frame creation Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I ask because I am surprised we haven't seen aftermarket frames or even something like a PCC/rifle that could use the trigger group.

Would be kind of neat to have a family of weapons using one serialized trigger group.

Just musing.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
There is a 3d printable set of plans for a P250/P320 grip module floating around.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think Sig has that covered .

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 454gun:
I would think Sig has that covered .

I doubt it, the STI 2011 grips are similar enough that I doubt a patent would apply.

IANAL but I would put my money on non-patentable.

At this point I just don't think the P320 is popular enough for anyone to consider it yet. Heck the 2011 are extremely popular and there are only a couple of companies making grips for that.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The possibilities are endless. The laser module comes to mind. I would like to see one with an integral high lumen light.

I have not taken the 320 plunge yet, but I have shot one and really liked it. I would like to take a compact, my G19, and the new CZ striker to the range and spend the day finding what I like the best. I'm not one to have a few different type pistols in the same category. I like to find a platform and really just shoot that one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The possibilities are endless. The laser module comes to mind. I would like to see one with an integral high lumen light.

Oh the possibilities are there. I personally would like to see a Crimson Trace laser grip module that still have a normal rail.

I don't like the SIG Optics laser grip module for two reasons. First the laser is right under the muzzle where it can easily get carboned up. No rail so you are stuck with whatever light SIG develops.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, or an 80% frame, like those 80% Glock frames that are floating around.

Buy it, do the remaining 20%, and ....... P320.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

With grips being $40 what incentive is there to get an 80% grip? The fire control unit is the registered gun part of the gun. I don't see those being an 80% type of product.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

With grips being $40 what incentive is there to get an 80% grip? The fire control unit is the registered gun part of the gun. I don't see those being an 80% type of product.

Oh, ok. I didn't know that part. withdrawn.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Companies make replacement triggers for it. So why can't a grip module be made? It's not serialized. It's just a part, intentionally designed in the first place by SIG to be easily replaceable. As long as that third-party company doesn't copy a SIG grip module verbatim, I don't see how SIG can prevent possible aftermarket modules from going live. Besides, SIG isn't the first to use an en bloc, subframe trigger/action assembly in a pistol. Colt first patented the concept in the early 1970s, and there may have been others prior to that also played with the idea.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 320 platform .most stores around here are sold out out not long after they get them .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An 80% fcu unit would be where it is at. Drill a few holes maybe mill a piece here and there and install it into a regular sig grip module. Someone has to release that....

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Now that the Army has adopted it, I can see other companies, especially MagPul, trying to get a piece of the action.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some grips seem to be unobtainable. Have been looking for a Full size P320, Small grip, in black for quite some time. Even the very-large, local "premium" Sig dealer can not get such a grip.

If the Government deal goes into production, it may be even more difficult to get grips other than Medium. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I was thinking could one even design a rifle around it with this as the drop in group. Suddenly you open up a very interesting path of modularity.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
I've been working with a buddy to design and have manufactured P320 frames out of aluminum. Probably similar to a 1911 style frame with panel grips. It's still early but very doable. Only problem is they won't be cheap but would be cool to make the frame a little heavier.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I was thinking could one even design a rifle around it with this as the drop in group. Suddenly you open up a very interesting path of modularity.

My local FFL has a friend who actually did just this. He designed a 9mm rifle around the P320 grip module. He wouldn't provide any further info but it fires and is absolutely doable.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
DX-RX please re-size you're avatar, it's huge!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with different grip modules is holster compatibility. It would be wise for companies to partner up or make their own holsters for whatever grips they do make.

If you're a holster company you already have to accommodate P320 SC, C, and F. Plus I'm not sure if the .45s fit in regular holsters? Now I assume they'll need to make new ones for the X5, X-Carry, and possibly VTAC if the slide is different enough? And of course they need to make one for the Lima grips as well. Yikes.

quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
I don't like the SIG Optics laser grip module for two reasons. First the laser is right under the muzzle where it can easily get carboned up. No rail so you are stuck with whatever light SIG develops.

The bonus of having the laser right under the muzzle is it'll be more accurate at different distances. That is one thing I don't like about most light/laser combos is the laser is under the light, and it's so far from the muzzle you can only adjust it for one distance and then you move the target back or forth 5ft and the laser is no longer lined up with your sights. More of an issue on rifles, obviously, but still an issue I notice at the range.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
I said all of the above not to imply that it's not worth the effort, nor to imply that everyone has/needs a holster for every pistol they own (I sure don't). Just throwing it out there for discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by dEX_RX:
I've been working with a buddy to design and have manufactured P320 frames out of aluminum. Probably similar to a 1911 style frame with panel grips. It's still early but very doable. Only problem is they won't be cheap but would be cool to make the frame a little heavier.

I think it was jljones that confirmed Sig had prototypes of aluminum grip frames. Not sure if they'll actually make it to market, but just FYI before you dump too much money into it! A lot of people are interested in this. Can you imagine the P320-X5 with an aluminum frame!?

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post