SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting Left
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Left Login/Join 
posted
I have 3 guns that I take to the range on a regular basis. One is a 380 and two are 9mm. For some reason they all want to shoot to the left. I always aim dead center but they insist on going a little left. Can anyone help me teach them to shoot straight. I can really use some good advise here since I don't know what I am doing wrong. Thanks to all in advance.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting low and to the left or just dead center and to the left?

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Start with moving the position the trigger touches your finger closer to your finger joint.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
Are you shooting low and to the left or just dead center and to the left?

Center and to the left.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Trigger finger placement.

I have small hands and struggle with shooting left too. I can't always get my finger properly placed on the trigger.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you consistently shoot to the left, move your rear sight. It's that simple.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It might be finger placement on the trigger. It helped a friend who had the same problem because I started out that way also.
But, this could be of value too. You don't mention right or left handed or gun but give this a view at least.
From our own member jljones

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If you consistently shoot to the left, move your rear sight. It's that simple.
That is what I do.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If you consistently shoot to the left, move your rear sight to right. It's that simple.

And, if you consistently shoot to the right, move your rear sight to left.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and if you have fixed sights Razz

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Is this from a decent rest?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Make sure you are indexed correctly, meaning you have the gun centered in your firing hand. Try to pull the trigger very slowly, if you are hitting a 6lb trigger with 20lbs of force you can have alignment issues.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Everyone says trigger placement but I fixed my forever left problem with a firmer grip and dry fire practice.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Trigger finger position on the trigger may help but you might also be tightening the other fingers in your strong hand when pressing the trigger. One needs to work on isolating the rest of the strong hand fingers from the trigger finger. Dry firing may help with that. A full 360 grip also can help and concentrating grip pressure front to back on the pistol grip pinching the pistol grip into your strong hand.

These videos may help.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Some good advice regarding grip and finger placement. In addition, I've found that concentrating/practicing on pulling the trigger straight back helps a lot. Visualize pulling straight back to your aiming eye and then hold the trigger back for a little bit after the shot breaks. (follow through) After you get some muscle memory built up, you can lose the hold back to facilitate quick follow up shooting.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was only one of multiple guns shooting left I would consider moving sights but if it is all of them there is something flawed in your technique. The simplistic answer to pistol marksmanship is to align the sights on target and activate the trigger without disturbing the sights. Often easy to say but hard to do. While there are some fundamental principles noted in other posts I fully agree with, there are many variations in technique. No one answer is universal. It is often said with striker fired guns "use more finger" on the trigger but I use the very tip like with a bulleye gun and my sights are actually adjusted a hair( very minimal) left on my glocks. Two basic steps:
1) shoot a very slow controlled group off a rest speed is your enemy here
2) give a skilled shooter the gun and let the. Fire a group.
It is unlikely all three guns are "off" sighting wise

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise and the videos. Now I have several things to try and concentrate on the next time I shoot. Hopefully I get this resolved on the next trip. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Trigger finger position on the trigger may help but you might also be tightening the other fingers in your strong hand when pressing the trigger. One needs to work on isolating the rest of the strong hand fingers from the trigger finger. Dry firing may help with that. A full 360 grip also can help and concentrating grip pressure front to back on the pistol grip pinching the pistol grip into your strong hand.

These videos may help.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJrA7wMXuuQ" width="854"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I second that. I do it myself.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Kentucky windage to the right of your expected POI?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI from personal experience, small changes usually can show big results. If you try to do too much at once you wind up with a whole new set of problems.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post