SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    MPX K with telescoping brace
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX K with telescoping brace Login/Join 
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I agree about the MPX; it's been a great shooter. Awful trigger, but I've gotten used to it. I'd consider buying the cool looking collapsing brace but the folding brace on my 8" barreled is so good that I have a tough time feeling the need for the change.

They are both sweet. I added the telescoping brace to my MPX but I will probably use the folding brace to build another extremely short (4 inch) 9mm SBR

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN has a used mpx with a telescoping brace and three magazines for $1,250.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THIS is what everyone needs in that game.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-s...istol-micro-w-brace/

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
Going to be the dissenting voice—in some respects.

The MPX is a great looking pistol or SBR and I do like the instant familiarity of its controls and ergonomics. Unsuppressed it is great. And, as said before it is easy to add optics or iron sights. I also really like the way a folding or telescoping brace or stock is attached to the rear pic-rail.

Putting a suppressor on it, however, gives the “operator” two very overgassed eyeballs and an irritating amount of particulate debris to the face. And wile easy to overcome, the thread pattern on the barrel is ridiculous for the US market. If you have no plans to suppress this pistol/SBR, then it is a great platform. There are numerous youtube videos claiming that there is no issue with gas/debris but the two I have shot extensively have both gassed me out. Maybe I experienced two “bad” ones? They were both Gen 2s.

The MP5 and clones do not put any gas or debris in the operator’s face when suppressed. The K version of MP5 including the SP89 and SP5K don’t have a threaded barrel but the clone market is full of K-type (short) barrels and receivers that do have threaded and tri-lug barrels. Believe it or not, it is not that difficult to change the barrel on an MP5.

The MP5 is mid-sixties technology but, I believe the design is still viable today and there are several manufactures making good licensed examples like MKE (Zenith) and POF. New this year should be even more interesting options as PSA and PTR are getting into the MP5 clone game. If you want to mount optics, there are some inexpensive and effective solutions for that too.

Lastly, I’ll admit to being an MP5 lover as well as someone who enjoys shooting suppressed braced pistols using subsonic ammo. SB Tactical coupled with the relatively recent clarification by the BATF regarding braces and incidental contact with your shoulder has made the MP5 pistol as well as all other similar platforms fun once again. Most of the benefits of an SBR and none of the hassle.

I am not bashing the MPX and will likely pick one up at some point but wanted to relate my experience with the platform especially my experience with it suppressed.

Hope that helps,
Henryrifle

Good write-up. Just to offer some other data points, I have shot my MPX Gen 2 with two different cans (soon to be 3 different cans), and my buddies MPX Gen 2 with one of my cans, both with a wide variety of ammo, and I have not had any problems with gas or particulate blowback.

The MPX barrel threading is same as every other Sig 9mm OEM pistol barrel that I have purchased, but I agree that the LH thread wasn't the best choice for a PCC. But it's certainly much less of a pain then not having ANY threads or any way to add a suppressor on the factory MP5K without replacing the barrel. Thankfully you can also buy aftermarket MPX full barrel assemblies w/gasblock with different threads and/or 3-lug if it's that much of an issue.

https://www.inleadwetrust.com/...x-barrels-w-gasblock

And of course the MP5 does not have a last round bolt hold open feature which really slows down mag changes compared with the MPX.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a 100rds through my 8inch MPX today. Love it, but agree the trigger is rough. I'm using a red dot and looking at iron sights for backup. What's the status on shouldering the arm brace. Last update I can find online is that it's ok.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Okay to shoulder the brace.

Here is the qualifying letter from the ATF:

ATF Letter to SB Tactical

SB Tactical makes Sig braces.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Brett:

Two questions:

1. Are you running a dedicated 9mm Suppressor or a .45 ACP can? I ask because I put my TiRant 45 on one today and got a lot less gas but still some debris to the face.

2. Are you using factory ammo or downloaded hand loads? All of my experience has been with factory 230 gr. ammo -- Atlanta Arms specifically.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

P.S. Was not trying to disparage the MPX in any way. I think it is a fantastic pistol and saw the one I would buy for sale today, 4" barrel with telescoping brace in black. Much more modern aesthetics than the MP5.

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brett:

Two questions:

1. Are you running a dedicated 9mm Suppressor or a .45 ACP can? I ask because I put my TiRant 45 on one today and got a lot less gas but still some debris to the face.

2. Are you using factory ammo or downloaded hand loads? All of my experience has been with factory 230 gr. ammo -- Atlanta Arms specifically.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

P.S. Was not trying to disparage the MPX in any way. I think it is a fantastic pistol and saw the one I would buy for sale today, 4" barrel with telescoping brace in black. Much more modern aesthetics than the MP5.

Aren't they? There is something to be said for the MP5 though. I think the word is iconic.

(Just in case you thought my gushing about the MPX had made me forget my first pistol-cal love)

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay to shoulder the brace.

Here is the qualifying letter from the ATF:

ATF Letter to SB Tactical

SB Tactical makes Sig braces.

Henryrifle

Thank you. The more I shoot it the more I like it.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I agree that the LH threads are a pain, but I had my barrel chopped and threaded 1/2x28 RH. A much better setup. As for gas, I have found it heavily dependent on ammo. The first few times out to the range, I was very disappointed by the gas. But, using different ammo helps dramatically.

The AR style manual of arms, with ambi enhancements, is a wildly underrated feature of the MPX. Unlike the CZ, you can shoot it exactly like your AR that you're familiar with. This makes range time with the MPX more valuable than a CZ (assuming your preferred long gun is an AR). The picatinny rail for the stock mount (lets all hope that becomes an industry standard), plus the ambi features, it is a far more innovative gun that it gets credit for.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
THIS is what everyone needs in that game.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-s...istol-micro-w-brace/

I dunno. A couple of SP5Ks finally came in from HK yesterday, and let me tell you that for just about anyone who has lusted after a MP5 and has gone without, there truly is no other adequate substitute, even with HK's ridiculous asking price. I've handled the Zenith clones. I know they're made from original HK tooling. But it's still not from The Originator. To me Zenith made TV sets. And made/makes podunk electronics stuff. Zenith is simply not a name to put and to be found on an iconic gun design.

I put one of the SP5Ks next to the OD CZ Scorpion we have...the desire factor between the two is not even close. It's crazy how folks go stupid for the HK, but that's the way it is. Even my MPX I had with me yesterday feels like a distant second even though I know first hand how capable that admired and beloved thing is.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Except for the used market, the SP5K is as close to a NEW HK MP5 as we are going to get but I feel that pistol/SBR is strangely stripped of some great features. The lack of the paddle mag release and a barrel incapable of mounting a suppressor are deal breakers for me. Trying to release the mag with the mag release button is silly. I can’t imagine why HK wouldn’t have extended the barrel another 3/4” and threaded it.

You could change the barrel and on many clones you can add the paddle mag release. I know you can change the barrel on the SP5. I don’t know if mag release mod would work on the SP5, however. it depends on how they implemented the semi-auto shelf.

I hear what you are saying about the Zenith (MKE is the actual manufacturer), but I believe if someone handed you two pistols with no stamped makings you would not be able to tell which was which by shooting them. The receiver is as simple as it gets. In fact, you can purchase the “flat” for less than $200 and fold it yourself with the proper jig. Once the flat is bent and welded the rest of the work is tack welding the trunion/barrel assembly, welding on the cocking tube and pressing on the sight assembly. There are a few other items to weld/rivet to the receiver but everything else is drop-in. Not as easy as an AR but definitely doable at home.

There are several licensed MP5 pistols/sbrs that we can buy. Zenith/MKE is one and POF is another. You’ll have to make your own decisions about purchasing firearms imported from Turkey/Pakistan but they are both licensed pistols/sbrs built to MP5 specifications.

MKE Z-5P

Henryrifle

posted Hide Post
To move back from HK to Sig, if not in 4" --
Has anyone chronoed their 8" MPX? Particularly wondering about Federal BPLE +P+, and Ranger 125 +P+ out of the 8" MPX.
TIA.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see an HK/MKE 9mm pistol in my near future. I own a MP5 clone(full size) and love it.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumb question but Ive been living under a rock with regards to these type of 'pistols" and am looking at getting one for Home and Mrs bigredfish.

What is the difference between the 8" and the 4.5" (K version) other than barrel length if anything?

The new style collapsible brace looks awesome. thinking of a Romeo 5 or 4 with the circle dot sight for it, any feedback on which is best suited to the MPX?

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post