SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    MPX K with telescoping brace
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX K with telescoping brace Login/Join 
posted

Not sure if it's worth $2K, but it looks very MP5SK-ish and doesn't require an NFA stamp.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Id love to have a MPX K but not at 2 grand, I can buy the carbine for between 1500 and 1600 and the MPX K is less gun but costs an extra 300-500 dollars for the cool factor. For 2 grand I'd rather spend it on a high-end 1911 which is more practical and I'd probably get more use out of it. The good news is CZ is coming out with a micro scorpion with the same measurements of the MPX K but for half the price. MSRP on the micro scorpion is 1150 so it should come in around 950 dollars +/- and scorpion magazines are only about 20 bucks a pop.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
scorpion magazines are only about 20 bucks a pop

MPX is $60. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
scorpion magazines are only about 20 bucks a pop

MPX is $60. Roll Eyes

I got a bunch when they were on sale at PSA for $20 Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But they do look so sweet.

For those who couldn't resist, and balk at a red dot, what are you using for iron sights?

(They are around for 1700 or a little under -- which I know is a lot...)

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I have the 8" barrel version with the collapsible brace, and if it ever came down to it, I'd sell everything except that and my carry guns, and maybe one AR-15. I like it that much.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
I have the 8" barrel version with the collapsible brace, and if it ever came down to it, I'd sell everything except that and my carry guns, and maybe one AR-15. I like it that much.

That good, eh? For as much money as the MPX costs, I'd consider an HK SP5K with an SB tactical brace. Anyone shoot both and have a comparison?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I do like the mpx since its piston for shooting suppressed, but 2000 for the k model is tough to swallow. For that money I'd rather have a normal size subgun and just get an apc9. If the k was around 1700 maybe then I'd jump.

I have a scorpion now, but walked into a deal I couldn't resist (550, guy bought it, never shot it, sold it after a few weeks). If it wasn't for that I'd probably jump on the mpx or apc line of guns.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
But they do look so sweet.

For those who couldn't resist, and balk at a red dot, what are you using for iron sights?

(They are around for 1700 or a little under -- which I know is a lot...)

The MPX K is between 1700 and 1800 in my area but after sales tax you're looking at just under 2 grand. They are a sweet looking firearm and if I could find one used for around 1300 I'd probably buy it.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

That good, eh? For as much money as the MPX costs, I'd consider an HK SP5K with an SB tactical brace. Anyone shoot both and have a comparison?
. I love my MPX. There are quite a few comparisons of exactly what you are wanting on YouTube.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. I sold my Zenith K gun to get it and do not regret it one bit.

The MPX is such a soft shooter it feels like a .22.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
I have one and love it. I sold my Zenith K gun to get it and do not regret it one bit.

The MPX is such a soft shooter it feels like a .22.

Agreed. The first time I shot mine at the range I wasn’t sure it was firing. There is literally no recoil as if it was a .22.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I agree about the MPX; it's been a great shooter. Awful trigger, but I've gotten used to it. I'd consider buying the cool looking collapsing brace but the folding brace on my 8" barreled is so good that I have a tough time feeling the need for the change.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the MPX eight inch pistol and an HK SP5K. Both are soft shooters. Both seem accurate. Both seem reliable.

The MPX is easier to mount optics, lights, handstops, etc. The HK side brace makes for a more compact package than the MPX collapsing brace.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
looks like Timney released (pre-orders) their new MPX trigger here

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Humbug, a straight bow. Like the price well enough compared to the its pending alternative, but I'd rather it have a curved shoe. Well, if Bill Geissele will finally get his MPX trigger promised for last fall into the marketplace, there's still hope for me yet.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My MPX has been an great gun. Half the fun of the MPX is how well it suppresses. The MP5K pistol looks cool but it does not have a threaded barrel or any straightforward way to add a suppressor.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
That good. No contest.

I will eventually buy an MP5 clone and put the new PSA collapsible brace on it, for no better reason than thanks to Die Hard and Speed and [every 80's/90's movie with a special forces or SWAT team] means I just have to have one.

The MPX, to me, combines everything I love about shooting an MP5 with the AR platform manual of arms, and eliminates peaky ergonomic issues of the HK like needing my spare hand to drop a mag or needing to grow my thumbs another inch to work the selector lever.

The only real downside is that it's impossible to perform an HK Slap on an MPX, and in light of the rest of the package, I can deal with that til I get an MP5 pistol to use as a toy.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Going to be the dissenting voice—in some respects.

The MPX is a great looking pistol or SBR and I do like the instant familiarity of its controls and ergonomics. Unsuppressed it is great. And, as said before it is easy to add optics or iron sights. I also really like the way a folding or telescoping brace or stock is attached to the rear pic-rail.

Putting a suppressor on it, however, gives the “operator” two very overgassed eyeballs and an irritating amount of particulate debris to the face. And wile easy to overcome, the thread pattern on the barrel is ridiculous for the US market. If you have no plans to suppress this pistol/SBR, then it is a great platform. There are numerous youtube videos claiming that there is no issue with gas/debris but the two I have shot extensively have both gassed me out. Maybe I experienced two “bad” ones? They were both Gen 2s.

The MP5 and clones do not put any gas or debris in the operator’s face when suppressed. The K version of MP5 including the SP89 and SP5K don’t have a threaded barrel but the clone market is full of K-type (short) barrels and receivers that do have threaded and tri-lug barrels. Believe it or not, it is not that difficult to change the barrel on an MP5.

The MP5 is mid-sixties technology but, I believe the design is still viable today and there are several manufactures making good licensed examples like MKE (Zenith) and POF. New this year should be even more interesting options as PSA and PTR are getting into the MP5 clone game. If you want to mount optics, there are some inexpensive and effective solutions for that too.

Lastly, I’ll admit to being an MP5 lover as well as someone who enjoys shooting suppressed braced pistols using subsonic ammo. SB Tactical coupled with the relatively recent clarification by the BATF regarding braces and incidental contact with your shoulder has made the MP5 pistol as well as all other similar platforms fun once again. Most of the benefits of an SBR and none of the hassle.

I am not bashing the MPX and will likely pick one up at some point but wanted to relate my experience with the platform especially my experience with it suppressed.

Hope that helps,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post