SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Lighter isn’t better, in my opinion. Smoother is always better.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Lighter isn’t better, in my opinion. Smoother is always better.

It took me a long time (and finally shooting regularly and frequently) to realize that. I like the feedback of a heavier and somewhat longer trigger stroke. No breaking icicles in handguns for me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

You're right, but we're talking semantics now. While the pistol itself is no more precise, with a better trigger it becomes easier to shoot more accurately.

Not necessarily; but what constitutes a "better trigger" is subjective.

I think it may be more fair to say that a poor or inexperineced shooter will gain the most from a lighter trigger. Put another way, by reducing on of the primary fundamental skillsets of shooting, one focuses on the remaining (eliminates some elements of trigger control, user focuses on sight alignment). In short, it's a crutch, while trigger remains an excuse.

Far from semantics, there's a big difference between what the firearm can do, and what the shooter can do.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better?

Unqualified yes for me.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I didn't actually shoot it better, but my CZ P-01 no longer gouges a hole in my finger since CGW put a different-shaped trigger in it. To have them smooth it up (but no other components changed) for another $25 was a no-brainer, but it was mostly the shape of the old trigger that was the problem.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Im the least qualified for this but answer me this, a shorter smoother trigger cannot be anything but faster right.

Someone may be more used to say a long DA trigger but there is no subjective opinion here right, a smoother trigger or shorter trigger, practice time being equal could never be slower or worse accuracy wise. Right?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh brother. Is this the thread where we all try to sound smarter than the last guy?

Yes, a subjectively (there is no single perfect trigger for everyone) better trigger to you will allow you to shoot better. Notice the question never used the words accuracy or precision. “Did you actually shoot it better”. Of course you will. Duh.

I surprised in all the linguistical gymnastics so far that someone hasn’t pontificated the possibility of replacing the stock trigger with something worse, would it still shoot better? If a tree falls in the forest and nobody..... Never mind.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES. I have 2 CZ 75's. A stock SA (single action only) and one worked over by CZ Custom with a SA trigger and great trigger job. I'm more accurate with the one with the trigger job. Same on 1911's that have better triggers than other ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not semantics and it's not linguistic gymnastics. What constitutes a "better trigger" is highly subjective, as is what one may shoot better.

Does a smoother trigger make you shoot better? No, not necessarily. Does a lighter trigger help you shoot better? No, not necessarily. It doesn't have a fucking thing to do with being smarter than the last guy.

Indian, not the arrow.

No, the original post didn't use the word "precision." I did. You don't get to choose what words I use; put words in your mouth, and I'll speak extremely well for myself, thanks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I suppose there’s some magical theoretical world where people shoot crappy arrows as well as good ones, unfortunately no one lives there.

This has been beat to death 60-70 years ago having top bullseye shooters compete with both cheap and/or standard pistols , then again with their match guns. And of course they did better with the cheap guns than most people did with the match guns. But far and away they still shot better with the good guns. “Indian not the arrow” is a saying that needs to go away like “solution in search oh a problem”, because most of the time people use it, it doesn’t apply.

Yes smooth is more important than light... generally speaking. Smooth and light more better.

Matching the “lightness” to the application is also key.

“Crisp” for lack of a better term at the moment is also important. I don’t mean in terms of break but in total feel and return. The revolver I used to shoot in USPSA as a good deal heavier than most serious revolver shooters, but it was solid, consistent all the way through the pull and had solid crisp return, which is very importing in double action. So many other peoples guns I e tried were light, very light, but the action felt dead. Despite being pretty smooth and much lighter, I could never shoot them as well.

But to the original question, most definitely. View it like lock time... only it’s pre loach time. The less “action” and movement required before the shot breaks, the less likely the chances of the sight alignment or grip issues (yanks, heels, dips, drops) to take place.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing there is a lot of is smart ass in this thread, yall have fun!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to changing the action, then yes...well, most of the time. Depends upon how "bad" (to me) the original factory trigger was. For instance I don't notice a lot of difference with Glocks. But I do see significant improvement with DA/SA guns, particularly on the DA portion.

If you're referencing the actual physical bow/shoe, then the difference in results is not so much. Straight-faced trigger bows may be the trendy widget these days but I find that I shoot with them equally as well--or poorly, depending upon one's point of view--as I do with a curved bow. When it comes to subjective personal preference, I prefer a curved bow when it comes to guns that have lengthier travel to their trigger action, which covers most of my handguns. I tend to like straight-faced bows more on rifles set up with short trigger travel than on most any handgun. With straight pull guns like 1911s I could go either way.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote-“If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better?”

100%, yes.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you changed your stock trigger, but didn’t shoot any better - would you admit it? Does that answer change if the cost was only $100 vs $400?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Right?

Well, I’m not trying to be a smart ass, or sound smarter than the last guy, but yes. There is a point of diminishing returns on trigger weight. Eventually, people turn their trigger into nothing more than an on/off switch with no texture. Which depending on your a persons uses, may be ok. For shooters with serious trigger control skills, it can be a hindrance. You look at some of the top shooters in the games they make profound statements like “ you can do anything you want with the trigger as long as you don’t disturb the sights” and they make statements about slapping the trigger and whatnot. However, when they compete in a game that requires accuracy, they turn up the poundage and change their trigger control style. They do so because the higher poundage gives them better control to add more X to their scores.

You have some guys that like/want/need a trigger measured in ounces. But, they are generally single focus shooters. My personal performance starts to drop below 3.0 pounds.

Good shooters can shooter a heavier trigger. Faster and more accurate aren’t mutually exclusive with a light trigger.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This is a subjective thread.

If you made a change to something lighter, something smoother, or both or different in some other manner (give details):

Did it help your speed? Did it help your accuracy? We you able to shoot tighter groups or were you able to more consistently hit targets at longer distances?

This is inquiring as to your individual experience. No right or wrong answers here.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I shot the action games. Better triggers made it much easier to shoot faster, and helped with accuracy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like a smoother and lighter than stock with short reset trigger helps my accuracy at speed with my DA/SA Sigs.

It is just easier to run faster. I just finished a deployment with the M17 and ran into reset issues when shooting it all out, the reset was just a tad long for what I’m used to.

I’ve never shot a course of fire on a timer stock vs modified to quantify anything...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
After one range session I found that the short reach trigger on my M11-A1 just didn't work well with my large hands, so I changed it out with a Gray Guns Dual Adjustable trigger. Big improvement! It's much smoother & has a shorter reset.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
I’ve been shooting glocks for over 30 years, for some reason I shoot best with a stock glock trigger. I’ve tried aftermarket stuff and no bueno for me. I like that “wall”, for some reason it doesn’t matter if it’s 3 pounds or 5 pounds, I can do my part when I hit the “wall”. I’m probably the minority I’m sure. I’ve had every gen and for me a stock gen 3 19 or 17 hits the sweet spot

neither of my glocks (26 and 19) have other than stock triggers. i’m of the same opinion. plus they’re carry guns.

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post