SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    After the range

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
After the range Login/Join 
posted
Silly question here, but I never thought about it until leaving the range. After getting my 365 XL I went to the range. Wow, this thing got hot after a while. Okay, good, I spend a lot time shooting then.
Silly part here, I wasn't comfortable leaving with my pistol loaded. I have a ccw. Is leaving the firearm loaded while it was quite hot no good? I know it takes a lot of heat to cook off a bullet, but the pistol was very hot to the touch.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You will never (ok never say never and all that) but the likelihood of you cooking of a round out of a semi automatic pistol is just about as likely as widespread forest fires in Antarctica.

Seriously you are not going to cook a round off in anything shy of full auto and even then it’s not easy so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This. I’ve gotten them so hot that when I kicked out the round in the chamber it burned my hand when I picked it up. No issues or worries.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
I have not shot my P365 enough yet to get it that hot, but I have heard multiple say how hot they get. My Hellcat did not get too hot to touch after a lot of rounds, is there something about the P365 that makes it different?

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I shoot my carry P365, and after I'm done at the range, there's always one in the chamber as I leave. It's still hot, but you will not cook off a round.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If the videos I've seen on Youtube of shooting full auto weapons to destruction is anything to go by, you'd have to shoot it to the point where the thing has smoke billowing out of it before this is something to be concerned about.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If there’s a danger, it’s more likely you burning yourself on the hot metal. The bullets will do just fine on their own.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even with somebody handing you fresh magazines as you run one out, I don't think you can fire a pistol long enough or fast enough to "cook off." It takes ~500-550° - about that of an oven set to broil - to do that. You couldn't even touch or hold the pistol if it were that hot. What I will do, however, is wait until the pistol is somewhat comfortable to hold before putting back in a Kydex or other plastic holster.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You will never (ok never say never and all that) but the likelihood of you cooking of a round out of a semi automatic pistol is just about as likely as widespread forest fires in Antarctica.

It's a growth industry.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. I figured it was crazy, but I'd rather be a little embarrassed here than really embarrassed if it could actually happen.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We’ll put mags as fast as we can and holster back up with no worries. Can’t shoot that much unless you load a lot of mags before hand.

One did we did do something stupid and ran a few mag dumps on our rifles with my Specwar. It turned white hot. I had to leave it on the rifle on the table over night to cool off. It was too hot to touch and it was already a long day.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by citykid:
Thank you everyone. I figured it was crazy, but I'd rather be a little embarrassed here than really embarrassed if it could actually happen.

I, for one, thank you for asking about a legitimate concern as you become more comfortable with firearms and the surrounding knowledge. Your question was sincere and based out of wanting to learn, so good on you. We were all there at some point and anyone who doesn't admit that, is either full of it or won't acknowledge/remember being so.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were all there at some point and anyone who doesn't admit that, is either full of it or won't acknowledge/remember being so.

At some level or another we are all STILL THERE. Nobody knows it all and even the most knowledgeable of us ask not only a “more advanced” so to speak question but even more basic or informative type questions that have eluded us for some reason.

quote:
It turned white hot. I had to leave it on the rifle on the table over night to cool off. It was too hot to touch and it was already a long day.

I’ve been part of shooting rifles white hot and seen AK hand guards smoke and smolder. Where as most “lay folks” look at an M16 or AK etc. and see UNENDING BULLET HOSE OF DEATH SPEWING 40,000 A SECOND!!! those in the know or those who come to learn suddenly realize these are really semi automatic rifles with the capability of full auto if needed. Run a full combat load on semi auto fairly quickly and you will realize how fast you can heat these guns up.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Two comments:

1) Gun writer friend brought in a T&E G17 years ago to our weekly defensive shooting group. Great - new pistol and unlimited free ammo. Shoot two mags, hand off to next guy. Two guys continually loading mags. Gun got so hot couldn't safely put hand on slide. He'd eventually pop off the slide, into bucket of water, take it out, slide back on and continue shooting.

2) I recall reports coming back from the sandbox re M4's in major firefights. Also, saw some non-stop full auto testing done. Melted/destroyed the barrels, but no mention of cook offs.

Doesn't mean it's impossible, but after 50 years of shooting, I've never heard of this happening.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Report This Post