SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "No Need for an Expensive Glock: The Kahr CW9 Is Great for Concealed Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"No Need for an Expensive Glock: The Kahr CW9 Is Great for Concealed Carry Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I wish this company would fall into the ocean. I roll my eyes, hard, when folks carry these unreliable, terrible, carry pistols.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a K9 for a while back in the lar 90s early 2000s. Then I sold it and used the money to buy a P228. I like the 228 much better.

The Kahrs were an interesting design and I remember when they were all the rage during that time frame. I could have just been the local area as I grew up down the street from their Corporate HQ. Their offset feed ramp was a novel idea and I don't think they have been copied since. I do remembered that they were adamant about the 200 round break in period.

Dose anyone remember why NYPD took them off their authorized list?

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Because NYPD is incredibly stupid when it comes to guns (especially trigger weights), and they decided the K9's trigger was too light.

I shit you not.

NYPD officers had a string of negligent discharges with the K9 in the 2000s. Rather than recognizing it as the training issue it was, NYPD decided to blame the gun, and declared that the trigger was too light. NYPD tried to convice Kahr to increase their triggers from their usual 7.5 pounds to 13 pounds, much like NYPD did with their Glocks. Kahr wouldn't. So NYPD de-authorized them in 2011.

News story: https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...gun-article-1.990037

Response:
https://www.handgunsmag.com/ed...-for-training/138230

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Because NYPD is incredibly stupid when it comes to guns (especially trigger weights), and they decided the K9's trigger was too light.

I shit you not.

NYPD officers had a string of negligent discharges with the K9 in the 2000s. Rather than recognizing it as the training issue it was, NYPD decided to blame the gun, and declared that the trigger was too light. NYPD tried to convice Kahr to increase their triggers from their usual 7.5 pounds to 13 pounds, much like NYPD did with their Glocks. Kahr wouldn't. So NYPD de-authorized them in 2011.

News story: https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...gun-article-1.990037

Response:
https://www.handgunsmag.com/ed...-for-training/138230

Thanks. The Cops I knew said it was something to do with the trigger. I didn't realize that it was the pull weight. too bad, the Kahr was the gun to have for a while.

IIRC NYPD had a similar issue with the S&W M&P.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked my PM9 until the Sig P365 came out. I didn't mind the long but smooth trigger pull since I am a fan of the H&K LEM trigger. I only pocket carry rarely but the PM9 easily replaced my J Frame which was a bitch to practice with. Now my P365 can be a pocket gun AND sometimes belt gun.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh... No.

There were a number other compact single stack 9mm concealed carry options already available when the Kahrs K9 was introduced in 1996, including the Sig P225 introduced ~10 years before the initial Kahr K9, the HK P7 introduced ~15 years before the Kahr, the S&W 3913 that was introduced ~6 years before the Kahr, and the Sig P239 that was introduced the same year as the Kahr K9.

The way I understand it, they are referring to SMALL, single-stack 9mm's SPECIFICALLY designed for the average concealed carry civilian, not a cop or detective or military member all of whom would be carrying open. Everything that Kahr made was both smaller and thinner than what you have listed there.

quote:

That didn't stop NYPD Detective Danny Reagan from shooting bad guys in nearly every single episode of CBS's Blue Bloods! Big Grin

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I wish this company would fall into the ocean. I roll my eyes, hard, when folks carry these unreliable, terrible, carry pistols.

Have you owned one? Or just talking shit? Roll Eyes

I've owned an MK9 in the past and currently have a CW380 and they are both great guns.

Now I want a CW9!

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
If I remember right when I tried a CW9 DAO trigger you start pulling it on Tuesday and hope it goes bang by Thursday, long pull on that guy.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Just put another 50 rounds down range today with my CW9. Well over 1000 rounds. Never had an issue. The trigger is different but I got used to it quickly.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Everything that Kahr made was both smaller and thinner than what you have listed there.

The K9 isn't really noticeably smaller or thinner than a 3913. They're the same width, and the K9 is only 0.5 inches shorter than the 3913 (but holds 1 less round).

I couldn't find one with a K9, but here's a 3913 next to a CW9 for comparison.

The K9 and P239 are also similar in size:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Have you owned one? Or just talking shit? Roll Eyes

I've owned 11 of them. They all sucked. Not a single one was reliable enough for me to carry. That's my experience. Perhaps you've had better luck.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't understand why somebody would repeat the purchase of a pistol brand 11 TIMES after such a review.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own several myself, and have had all but the steel Kahr's back to Kahr repeatedly. I often buy multiples of a firearm, especially if there's a good deal or a good offer. If a firearm interests me, I'll buy it to try it, rather than just read someone else's comments.

I really wanted to like the Kahrs, and I do, except that they never proved reliable (save for the steel). I still have them. I don't know that I'd buy nearly a dozen of them, but I have several. I bought several P3AT's, too, and those were a disaster. I've been asked why I bought several if they were so bad, but I didn't know they were that bad when I got them. I bought several as gifts, and they were being hawked as law enforcement backup pistols at the time...but they didn't hold up and came with all kinds of problems. I still have one in the safe. Point being, I suppose that it's possible to own multiples of a firearm that didn't cut the mustard.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from the warpy dustcovers - as seen in Rogue’s picture - my experience with non-Micro/.380 Kahr’s has been very good. But, I dang sure wouldn’t buy 11 of them if I had an issue with the first two or three. My S9 is near perfect for $340-ish. The trigger is long but very smooth, 100% reliable so far, lets me put a laser on it.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
In fact, it was the Kahr pistol that really set the stage for the 9mm single stack to begin with back in the 1990s.
Back then in the 1990s, your concealed carry options were really limited to .38 snubnose revolvers, the Walther PPK-type pistols in .380, the AMT Backup, Beretta Cheetah .380, or a 1911 Commander/Defender in .45 or 9mm

but it has since been surpassed by the various newer ultra compact 9mms.

What did you find in 9mm that was smaller the CM9? The only reason I still use my PM9 is that I haven't found anything thats the same size or smaller in 9mm. I tried the the G43 but even that was too large for pocket carry.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Smaller isn't really necessary. I can easily pocket carry most of the ultra compact 9mms.

There are several that are similar in size to a PM9, but with a better trigger, like the S&W Shield, Sig P938, or Beretta Nano.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Kahr warranty is five years on handguns. Their Auto Ordnance Tommy Guns is one year. The last is pretty telling, those products are not exactly bargain priced.

From my experience with them on an out of warranty issue this has soured me on their products and their customer service. The same problem had been discussed on a couple of other forum. Their response to both my communications, one by phone and one emailed was unsatisfactory in my view. I subsequently ordered the replacement parts, a new bolt and one roll pin for the extractor and one for the firing pin. They messed that up too. Both the roll pins were the same despite the originals being two different sized parts and two different part numbers on the invoice. I reused one of the old ones, it was not worth the trouble for a three dollar part.

Your results may vary, just be aware.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
As the subject of the titles frequently used in National Interest articles held interest for me (not just gun related but defense related as well) I made the mistake of clicking on them in my news feed a year or so ago...and now my browser keeps funneling their stories to me. National Interest articles frequently use one or two facts, mix in several inaccuracies and opinions, add in simplistic thinking and writing, and throw in a few misspellings for good measure...and they frequently recycle old articles. Essentially they are a click bait news source, but the interesting thing is that they sometimes manage to make a few accurate conclusions even through all their pseudo journalism. I now avoid them like the plague even when their article titles capture my interest.

As for the Kahr, I don't have any experience with shooting or handling one, but wouldn't be surprised if they are an underrated gun.

Couldn't have summed it up any better!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if some people's issues with Kahrs come from not reading the manual about how to properly charge a round?

These things are SO tight that you can't slingshot a round into the chamber like most other guns, you MUST lock the slide back, insert magazine then press slide release. It's the only firearm I've ever seen or handled where it's explicitly spelled out like this.

They also seem to only like certain types of ammo due to the steep and offset feed ramp; my CW380 seems to work well with Aguila FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense JHP.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Every time I ready this I literally laugh out loud!

quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:

I can't understand why somebody would repeat the purchase of a pistol brand 11 TIMES after such a review.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post