SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5906 IDPA....is it all that
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5906 IDPA....is it all that Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have wanted an 5906 IDPA for 15 plus years.....I was wondering if anyone on the forum has one and what they think of it?

Its a grail gun and I need to know if they are really worth the search and the price they demand these days.

How is the trigger? How accurate is it.....

I like 5906s but I never seem to keep them.....but I have been craving an IDPA for a long time

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one for several years.The pistol is a pleasure to shoot.It is one of my favorite pistols.Me and a buddy bought 2 several years ago serial numbers consecutive and in the low 400s.Great guns.

Posts: 174 | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have a 5906 TSW, not the IDPA. Great pistol to shoot, terrible to clean. Nooks and crannies r us.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I had one that sadly had to be sold during my divorce. It most certainly is "All that" and more!! An absolutely amazing gun!! I wish I still had mine Frown

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
I had one that sadly had to be sold during my divorce. It most certainly is "All that" and more!! An absolutely amazing gun!! I wish I still had mine Frown

Yep, this right here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
dewhorse, I think they are great guns, but I may be a bit biased on that issue. About 20 years ago I think it was, I located a mint, possibly unfired, 4" 5906 IDPA gun. At some point afterwards, I heard mention of a 5" version. I contacted S&W, and had the misfortune to talk to a very abrasive woman, and attempted to order one of the 5" IDPA 5906s. It was a LEO only pistol at the time. I was still active LE in those days, and was finally able to convince the woman to allow me to order one. A few months later, S&W contacted me and tried to send me another model, but I hung in there and finally got the 5" 5906 IDPA I wanted. The abrasive woman told me that S&W limited the 5" guns to LEO only because they could only build a few, and wanted to limit demand. The 5906 IDPAs are precisely fitted, and used the Briley barrel bushing,etc. DA and SA trigger pulls are very smooth, but don't seem any lighter than production 3rd.Gen guns I've owned. They both have Novak sights, which are OK, but I'd have much preferred something like the Wilson adjustables that my 952 had. My guns have not been shot much, but neither has ever malfunctioned. They were both worth the search to me.......ymmv

BTW, according to the PC,the 5906 IDPA guns are actually built on the .40 S&W slide and frame forgings, to make for a very robust 9MM. A heavy duty 9MM, though heavy,seems like a good idea to me.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned 2 at 2 different times. Bought my first from my dealer around 2000 (i think may have been earlier) for like $950 which was alot then. Foolishly traded it for something i had to have. Then a few years ago a buddy of mine who has a huge Smith collection gave me the run of his "gun room" and said make me an offer on whatever you like. He literally had dozens of NIB PC guns-shorty .40's, shorty 9's, shorty .45's etc.. all from the hey day of the PC. He had 3 of the 5906 PC IDPA guns and I promptly bought one. Like an idiot I traded it for a Wislon CQB about 2 years later and now they are nowhere to be found.
They are one of the sweetest shooting 9mm's ever made.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago and ended up selling it. Very accurate. The trigger pull is very good to excellent except for the reset which is very 'weak' or indistinct (at least mine was that way). I didn't care much about that but in the end I decided I preferred TDA autos with aluminum frames.

I think one could be relatively difficult to find these days.

Around the same time I had a 5" 5903 which I believe had a Melonite slide. That one I should never have sold; If I recall correctly fewer than 10 were made.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
dewhorse, I think they are great guns, but I may be a bit biased on that issue. About 20 years ago I think it was, I located a mint, possibly unfired, 4" 5906 IDPA gun. At some point afterwards, I heard mention of a 5" version. I contacted S&W, and had the misfortune to talk to a very abrasive woman, and attempted to order one of the 5" IDPA 5906s. It was a LEO only pistol at the time. I was still active LE in those days, and was finally able to convince the woman to allow me to order one. A few months later, S&W contacted me and tried to send me another model, but I hung in there and finally got the 5" 5906 IDPA I wanted. The abrasive woman told me that S&W limited the 5" guns to LEO only because they could only build a few, and wanted to limit demand. The 5906 IDPAs are precisely fitted, and used the Briley barrel bushing,etc. DA and SA trigger pulls are very smooth, but don't seem any lighter than production 3rd.Gen guns I've owned. They both have Novak sights, which are OK, but I'd have much preferred something like the Wilson adjustables that my 952 had. My guns have not been shot much, but neither has ever malfunctioned. They were both worth the search to me.......ymmv

BTW, according to the PC,the 5906 IDPA guns are actually built on the .40 S&W slide and frame forgings, to make for a very robust 9MM. A heavy duty 9MM, though heavy,seems like a good idea to me.
You still have the 5" gun ? Can you post a few pictures ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello David Lee, I still have both guns. I don't use a photo hosting site, so can't post images here.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I found a nice photo of one on line and it is a very nice S&W. I recall them with a Briley bushing. Like you Rock, I would have preferred a adjustable rear to that Novak any day.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post