SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P30 vs P30L
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P30 vs P30L Login/Join 
posted
Howdy.

I'm loving my P30L in 9mm. So much so, that I'm considering purchasing another one.

However, I've heard good things about the "non-L" version, the regular P30, so I'm considering that as an option for the sake of 1) diversity, 2) ease of carry vs. the "L", and 3) because I tend to obsess about things and purchase multiples of what I like even if there is a better option out there.

The "L" is intended to be my duty pistol, and I'm contemplating a second one for the sake of redundancy and/or off duty/alternate duty carry, FYI.

Has anyone here spent time with both models? Might you share the pros/cons so I can make an informed decision? I've Googled, and the consensus seems to be that most prefer the "L" version, but some say the regular P30 slide cycles differently/quicker and they prefer that. As well, some say the recoil impulse is different between the two...all important points for me.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've both, shot both in volume, and really don't see a hoot a difference when you get to the bottom of it. I find the regular one easier to carry. I guess I'm a Neanderthal about recoil, I simply don't see anything like recoil in this caliber, but I surely don't see something that you can feel. But maybe if you put a pea under my mattress I might feel differently. I generally like the "l" since I thing sight radius is important. But other than that specific advantage they simply are the same gun. I can't image recoil impulse can be meaningful as an issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both, with at least several thousand rounds through each. The P30L is my competition gun and it's seen thousands of rounds along with an amazing trigger job by Rick Holm at Lazy Wolf Guns.

To me the recoil is absolutely different between the L and non-L. It's not a huge night and day difference, but I can definitely tell. The L actually seems to have more perceived muzzle flip than the non-L. It seems counterintuitive and I'm not sure if it's because the L slide has more mass, it's the speed of the slide, or if it's the length that changes the impulse. But in general I find that shorter slide pistols seem to have less perceived muzzle flip, or they're just easier to control in my hands.

The L is better suited to duty/open/competition carry in an appropriate holster. The non-L is similar in size to a Glock 19 and I find it more suitable for carrying concealed. Other than the barrel and slide length, they are identical guns in every other way. It's only a 0.5-0.6" difference in barrel length, but the L just seems substantially larger and more unwieldy.

I will also note that there is a major difference between the smoothness and overall feel of refinement between my P30L and my P30. My L was made in 2014, when the pistols used to cost ~$1000. Around last year, HK announced a substantial price drop in the P30, such that what was previously an ~$800 gun could be had for around ~$600. I try not to read into things like this, but will simply share my observations. My non-L P30 definitely has a much rougher slide action, and substantially worse out of the box trigger than my L (even before the Lazy Wolf trigger job). The non-L P30 I have was made in 2018. It has been 100% reliable out of the box with no modifications by me. It just doesn't feel quite as smooth as my other P30 guns (total of 2 -Ls, and 2 -SKs). Interpret that how you like.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot both for several years, I think 30,000 to 33,000 rounds. Most of it through P30, two of them actually, and several thousand through 30L. All of mine had Grayguns and then Lazy Wolf triggers and all were LEM. I carried P30 and competed in Production with P30L, until I found, first, that I didn't do any better with L, and then, second, that I actually did better with 30. I liked the sight radius of 30L, but I liked how regular length cycled more. Add the advantage of shorter slide for appendix carry, and 30L was the first one to go, and wasn't missed. Now I've only one HK remaining, down from half dozen, and it is a regular length P30.

This opinion is contrary to a general consensus of HK fans. There was a poll on HKPRO about this, resulting in a 3:1 ratio of preference of L version.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned both. They shoot on par with one another and I never noticed anything different in they way either cycled. As stated, the non L is easier to carry. If you like the platform, get the non L. I’ve noticed that P30 mags are rather scarce as of late?

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both and love both. As stated, not much difference between the two. I feel the regular L is a little easier to control, I feel that way about the 229 and 226, too. I say get it, you most likely will be happy you did.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are recoil sensitive, like me, you will probably not notice much difference in recoil. The P30L has a longer sigh radius so for range and competition shooting it has an advantage. For CC I would want the P30. I have the P30L. I have also have the p226 range and home defense but for CC it is my M11-A1. The P30/L are very reliable and durable pistol with great ergonomics. Good luck and happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There isn’t less recoil just a different recoil perception in my exp. I don’t own an L to regularly do a side by side though.

Like you, however I am that guy who wants an L just because it goes with my non L.

With firearms I tell people I am collecting the whole set Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
They shoot about the same to me, but just in handling alone I prefer the shorter length of the P30. In stock configuration the V1 action I kinda like; the V3--which I own in P30 form--I do not. I once contemplated getting the P30L with the LEM light setup, then that plan was derailed when the VP9 went live and I discovered how much more I liked shooting the striker HK over the any of the hammer configurations of the P30 series. It was a bonus that I already had so many mags for my P30 that now have become the extras for my VP9.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have the P30L V3 and P30SK LEM. Love them both.

I liked the P30L over the P30 because I felt it looked better with the longer slide and appreciate the little bit extra sight radius. Both are terrific and it will pretty much come down to personal preference and if you want a shorter slide for CCW. I CCW my P30SK with the 13 round magazine which for me is perfect for CCW IWB.

I also have the VP9 which is also terrific but prefer the P30L over it by a little bit and shoot it a bit better.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the case noted above, if you think a longer, heavier slide has more muzzle flip I don't fully understand the physics. Its not possible in straight forward physical terms. That said I understand recoil is a personal thing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the recoil was different and I didn't, and don't, particularly concern myself with a muzzle flip. I liked how P30 returned back on target. In general, my objective performances were close across the board but things like Bill Drill, Dot Drill and such I consistently shot better with a regular length slide.
Then again, I prefer a G19x over G17 or G34, along the same lines.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the P30L vs. P30 choice, I also went with the P30L and a P30SK for carry.

The grip on the P30 and P30L are the same; they both stick out too much for my preference (grip height is typically more of a concealment issue than slide length).

The SK provides the same action, a similar (truncated) grip/trigger reach feel, and is much easier to conceal under a polo shirt in an IWB holster at 8-9 (I'm left handed).

There are only two advantages to the P30 over the P30L to me: shorter length for appendix carry (but given my body size/shape, anything longer than an SK is too uncomfortable for AIWB carry), and availability of a factory threaded barrel for the P30.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Regarding recoil...yes, 9mm is minimal...I'm more concerned with the recoil impulse/slide cycling/flip/etc...the subtle feel differences between the two. Granted, I wager the differences are just that...subtle...and can be mitigated with training, but I'm curious nonetheless as I'm considering taking a deep dive into this platform as my main one.

Held the P30SK the other day...neat idea, but feels like a chunky little guy and my instincts say I'd be better served in reality by a regular P30. For "little gun" stuff my LCR works just fine, and the P30SK seems like a gun that's not small enough to be pocketed (like my LCR) but not large enough to be really run hard and long for practical/training purposes (like a duty gun would, P30 or P30L).

Anyway, thanks for the input thusfar. Appreciate it.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks all.

Regarding recoil...yes, 9mm is minimal...I'm more concerned with the recoil impulse/slide cycling/flip/etc...the subtle feel differences between the two. Granted, I wager the differences are just that...subtle...and can be mitigated with training, but I'm curious nonetheless as I'm considering taking a deep dive into this platform as my main one.

Held the P30SK the other day...neat idea, but feels like a chunky little guy and my instincts say I'd be better served in reality by a regular P30. For "little gun" stuff my LCR works just fine, and the P30SK seems like a gun that's not small enough to be pocketed (like my LCR) but not large enough to be really run hard and long for practical/training purposes (like a duty gun would, P30 or P30L).

Anyway, thanks for the input thusfar. Appreciate it.

I would disagree that the p30sk can't be run long and hard. It is a very strong and capable pistol. Not as small as your LCR but IMO the perfect carry pistol, especially since it takes all p30/vp9 mags. The p30 is a great platform and I have 4, including the sk. You can't go wrong with any of the p30's IMOSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm taking a 10 hour, 400-round course in two weeks with my SK, and didn't think twice about doing it with the SK. Maybe it's the slightly wider grip than a small pistol, but the recoil impulse to me is much smoother than the sharp impulse from my wife's Glock 43. I don't care to shoot the G43 for long; the P30SK I can spend an entire ranged session with (at least a couple hundred rounds), and still wish I had more ammo with me.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure. I wager the SK can be run like a Glock 26 etc... I'm just saying it's not as comfortable, for me, to run a subcompact gun through lots of reps in comparison to a larger-framed option.

And, my LCR just has lines that work for concealment, at least how I carry.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I can run the SK, comfortably, for a full session.

The P30/sk combo is pretty nice. I have no interest in the L.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post