SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 686 Grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 686 Grips Login/Join 
posted
Looking for some small rubber grips for the 686. I got the wife a Ruger 77/357 and the 686 is going to be her "matching" pistol. It wears the original grips now which fit my hand great, but are a little big for her.

Some I see on Midway etc. talk about being smaller, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world experience they can share.

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Hogue makes a compact rubber grip which might work. Pachmayr used to make boot grips and compact rubber but not sure if they still do. Check on eBay. The smallest grip combo I can think of that still works for me is a standard service grip with a Tyler T-Grip. Altamont makes a compact rubber boot grip for the J frame but not the K/L.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Rubber Hogue Mono grips with the pebble finish have finger grooves and are excellent for smaller hands. I never seen grips to convert square butt to round but, round butt can be converted to square.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Found some

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pachmayr...dc3b7%257Ciid%253A17

http://m.ebay.com/itm/PACHMAYR...fdaee4%257Ciid%253A4

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is your 686 a square butt or round butt frame? They made them both ways.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing on the Pach grips, the standard Compac's with the covered backstrap are still pretty big for small hands. They make a version called the Compac Pro that has an open back, makes it much easier for small hands to work the gun in double action.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The smaller Hogue grip is called the bantam grip. I have a set on my 2.5" M19. I have smaller hands and it fits me perfectly. My favorite small grip combination though is a set of service stocks and a BK grip adaptor. I prefer them to the Tyler because they use two anchor points and feel a little more secure to me.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
One thing on the Pach grips, the standard Compac's with the covered backstrap are still pretty big for small hands. They make a version called the Compac Pro that has an open back, makes it much easier for small hands to work the gun in double action.

I have a 2.5" 686 that I have the Compac, Compac Pro and Hogue Bantam for. The Hogue grips feel the best in the hand, the Compac Pro conceals the best and the regular Compac shoots the best with full power loads because of the covered backstrap.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Is your 686 a square butt or round butt frame? They made them both ways.

I believe it to be a square butt. Is it as easy as looking at the shape of it or is the difference subtle?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Take the grips off and look at the contour of the bottom of the back strap; is it rounded? How old is the gun. New 686's are round butts. I think Smith went to all round butt after 94ish. You can get conversion grips for round butt guns that convert them to square.

posted Hide Post
Any K-frame grips will work, assuming they're RB or SB to match your gun.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Round butt frames are generally better for use by folks with small hands. You may be able to find boot grips more easily for a round butt k frame.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
not to repeat but,

difference between round and square

K/L Sq Butt,

K/L round butt conversion . Square butt feel for the round butt frame;

K/L Round butt ;

K/L Bantam ;

Don't forget about cylinder releases. Great for reloading and not losing your grip.

Short Release available in both Stainless and Blued finish.

short release is .98"

Long release available in both Stainless and Blued finish;

Long release is 1.21"

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post