SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Cobra...concerns...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Cobra...concerns... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I was in a local gun shop and got a chance to handle a new Colt Cobra. As I was cocking the hammer to look for how it locks up, I discovered it had a fair amount of play. White the hammer cocked the cylinder would move 1/4-1/2 the way towards the next chamber (either direction). Is this normal?

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You were obviously concerned. Did you mention this to the shop guy? If so, what did he say?

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run far, far away.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Not for a quality revolver.

https://www.durysguns.com/news...u-buy-used-revolvers

I don’t consider “1/4 to 1/2 way to the next chamber” to be slight play in the cylinder.

Sounds like a defective unit, to me.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I mentioned it to the clerk and said I thought it was unsafe. He looked a little confused and just put it back in the case. I told him they should call Colt and get it rectified by warranty and he mumbled that he would tell his boss.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My copy looks up just as tight as the old Det Specs. Looks like that one, needless to say, made it past the QC inspection with a major problem. Lots of people like to denigrate the new Cobras but mine has been near perfect in every way ... except for the out of shape trigger guard.

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If my fuzzy brain still works... Colt's (at least the old ones) lock up differently than say S&W Wesson's, so there will be more play until you pull the trigger. At which point some other part kicks in... puts pressure on the cylinder, which it's doing as the gun fires, which causes them to wear more quickly than S&W.

What I'm remembering may only be relevant to old ones, the current lockworks may be completely different. And either way, there could very well be something wrong with the gun in question. Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I just checked the two Colt Cobras in our sale case. Both brand new, a Night Cobra and a standard Cobra.

Neither one exhibited any play at all. Both were bank vault tight in lockup too. The one the OP observed must be defective. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
My copy looks up just as tight as the old Det Specs. Looks like that one, needless to say, made it past the QC inspection with a major problem. Lots of people like to denigrate the new Cobras but mine has been near perfect in every way ... except for the out of shape trigger guard.

I have the Night Cobra and it runs great. No problems at all.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my Police Positive from 1930-something. It doesn't wobble near that much. I sold a DS today that was almost as tight as a Smith. I think you had a bad 'un in your hand.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post