SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    considering a new pocket edc gun
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

considering a new pocket edc gun Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
You guys have some huge pockets. My 365 is a belt gun and my Ruger LCP is my pocket gun.

Have you ever thought, maybe it's your pocket that's too tiny? Razz

Wearing skinny jeans perhaps? Big Grin LOL

LOL. While I am far from a skinny jeans wearing dude, I find pocket carry requires a happy medium of pocket size / material firmness with having enough slack to grab the pistol easily, while also not having it flopping around, falling out of your pocket or visible when you sit, squat, and generally move in some way other than walking or standing. I have seen on more than one occasion someone pocket carrying both pistols and revolvers and me being able to look down in their pocket from the side or the rear, even being some distance from them and see their gun or at least the backstrap of the grip plainly visible. That's a big no-no in my book and could either put you in the spotlight of some really unwanted attention (legal and otherwise), or even facilitate someone else grabbing at it from close proximity to you.

I make sure any pocket gun I carry fits in my pocket without undue bulk being evident or the pistol being visible from any angle of the opening in my pocket whether in the front or back pocket.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You guys have some huge pockets. My 365 is a belt gun and my Ruger LCP is my pocket gun.

LOL. While I am far from a skinny jeans wearing dude, I find pocket carry requires a happy medium of pocket size / material firmness with having enough slack to grab the pistol easily, while also not having it flopping around, falling out of your pocket or visible when you sit, squat, and generally move in some way other than walking or standing. I have seen on more than one occasion someone pocket carrying both pistols and revolvers and me being able to look down in their pocket from the side or the rear, even being some distance from them and see their gun or at least the backstrap of the grip plainly visible. That's a big no-no in my book and could either put you in the spotlight of some really unwanted attention (legal and otherwise), or even facilitate someone else grabbing at it from close proximity to you.

I make sure any pocket gun I carry fits in my pocket without undue bulk being evident or the pistol being visible from any angle of the opening in my pocket whether in the front or back pocket.

I think this is a very good observation.
For this reason I try, depending on the pocket, to put a folded handkerchief over the backstrap and pocket holster. Some will say that makes accessibility too slow, but under the hankie is closer than inside the hankie drawer at home.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have never experienced the problems you describe with a P938 and good pocket holster.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 9mm pocket carry - in rank order: P365 (most easy to shoot accurately, eats anything); G43 with connector improvement (also goes boom every time); and Ruger LC9s Pro (if you can find one).

Just an opinion.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
It is 50-50 depending on the day:
-Sig P365: loaded with 147s...it can be heavy.
-Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum: six shots of a hot cartridge, with two speed strips for reloads.
On the days when I need to be very discreet:
-S&W 351c: this is my "I don't have a gun" gun. .22 Magnum Gold Dots are no joke.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you already have a PM9, the logical choice to me would be a P380/CW380

I love my CW380

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
P938 with one in the pipe, cocked, & locked for nearly 5 years now. I honestly believe it is the best option currently on the market. YMMV

Same here. Cocked and locked like a mini-1911.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCP with De Santis pocket holster.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a Kahr P-9 Covert IWB for the past 7+ years. Smooth as silk (but long) trigger. Recently picked up a G48 to try that one out.

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think everyone should disclose pant sizes when talking about pocket guns, style of pants as well. P938 was pretty bulky in 40x40 slacks and pretty heavy. Now use bodyguard 380 for that purpose

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
P365 is my go to pocket carry gun. Prior to that it was a Kahr PM9.

When hiking or working in the woods I'll pocket carry a S&W Model 60 with snake loads and something else on my hip.

On a very rare occasion (like wearing a suit) I'll pocket carry a Ruger LCPII.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4520 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:

I have never experienced the problems you describe with a P938 and good pocket holster.

Agreed. This doesn't print any way, shape, or form. Outside exterior surface is smooth leather. Exterior backside is rough out which helps secure the holster in the pocket when drawing the P238. Trigger is nicely covered and thus protected as is the safety lever which has a moulded "ON" recess. Top rib is sewn such that it curves away from the side facing out in your pocket too. Works for me! Big Grin

It's a RKBA holster but sadly the maker has retired now. That said I'm sure any good leather holster maker could fashion something similar.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
I think everyone should disclose pant sizes when talking about pocket guns, style of pants as well.

Yeah...that's not happening.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GataGunner:
LCP II. That thing rips. Best 230 dollars I've ever spent.

I just went back to a pocket carry gun. I used to pocket a bodyguard, one of the originals with the original laser internals before Crimson Trace mad them and before they offered an option without.

I recently bought an LCP II with an Alabama holsters pocket kydex. They are my favorite for PC.

I wear khakis for work and can’t get much larger than this. Every time these threads come up, I’m jealous of people that say they pocket a 9mm.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting a pistol in the front pocket isn't that difficult, or noticeable in khaki's or most pants except very tight ones, or some dress suit pants in which the fabric offers little support.

I think some of the resistance to pocket carry comes from not having done it: one is more conscious of the pistol there at first, and feels like everyone sees it.

I carry my wallet in my front pocket. Nobody notices or cares. I often put a cell phone in a front pocket, and nobody cares or notices, even though items may bulge or bulk; it's normal and routine for so many people that nobody really looks or cares.

A pistol in the pocket doesn't produce much of a bulge or outline, of one is using a decent pocket holster. Autos like a G43 or P365 don't take up any more space or make any more bulk than a j-frame snubbie, and that's no trouble to throw in a front pocket holster, at all. In a suit, I usually don't, but that's about it.

You might need to shop for a pair of kahki's that has the right pocket cut; most that have any drop to the pocket line, or into which you could normally place your hands, will facilitate a pistol and a decent draw.

I'm in the habit of placing my thumb over the back sight when drawing, and depending on the pant, I'll use a small magazine with autos (flush mag), or sometimes one larger (eg, G43 with Pearce +1 baseplate or P365 with 12 round magazine). Some pants need a bit of practice; the pocket may be such that the butt and magazine must lead out, but it's an easily learned draw, especially if the hand is already in the pocket on the pistol.

When I first started pocket carrying, I could look down into the pocket and see the backstrap on the grip, in some cases, and I was self-conscious, wondering if others noticed. However, I have yet to see anyone lean into me and stare into my pockets. They just don't. If they do, they'd have to know what they're seeing.

Try it for a few days, or week or month, until you stop worrying what others are seeing and get used to the idea. You'll find that most of what you think others are noticing, is self-conscious worry. Nobody notices, nobody cares. In fact, its your own ease in carrying it that makes it disappear, and if you're uneasy, it's more likely to be spotted.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
For the last 10 years, if I'm wearing pants, an LCP has been in my pocket regardless of whatever else I might be carrying.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jandersd:
I've been carrying a Kahr P-9 Covert IWB for the past 7+ years. Smooth as silk (but long) trigger. Recently picked up a G48 to try that one out.

You are lucky to have found the Covert. I always wanted one when I had Kahr's.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised some smaller clothing maker hasn't come out with a line of jeans and/or other pant types that are somewhat specifically designed for concealed/pocket carry. Does 5.11 go there?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5.11 pockets are a bit smaller than some other brands. Vertex makes excellent pants, including some dress slacks, some with side pockets, some without, and deeper, wider pockets.

The material from which the pocket is made makes a difference, too.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a few .380s that qualify for pocket carry. My favorites are a Seecamp LWS380, a first Generation LCP and an LCP2. The Seecamp pistols are extremely small and all stainless steel masterpieces of design and execution, but require very specific (factory recommended) loads to operate reliably.

My older LCP and LCP2 feed, function, and fire everything I put through them now and are far lighter and less expensive than the Seecamp. I did have a couple issues with my LCP2 when I first bought it, but Ruger did the right thing by me. They took care of the shipping and the issues, which (unfortunately took two tries to totally correct). In any case, my LCP2 is what I go with most of the time and the ammo I'd recommend is Lehigh Defense "Extreme Penetrators". .380 ACP is notorious for poor penetration with any JHP round. These fluted all copper bullets act like JHPs as far as tissue disruption, but penetrate about the same depth as a good 9mm JHP in ballistic gel.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post