SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 1911 TacOps vs Springfield TRP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 1911 TacOps vs Springfield TRP Login/Join 
posted
In your opinions and those who have either a TRP or a Sig 1911 TacOps- is one better then the other?

Which do you prefer and why? Pros and cons?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I can only speak to the TRP.

It's my favorite pistol and shoots great with a crisp trigger break. It has all the features I want and I really like the front strap 20 LPI checkering.

Imho.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The TRP is based on and has the Series 70 safety. The Tacops uses Series 80. The slide to frame fit on the TRP is tighter than the Tacops. The TRP trigger is slightly lighter out of the box than the Tacops. My TRP does not have a Rail where as my Tacops does. The Tacops has smaller ambi-safety controls which I prefer overall. Tacops has an external extractor, TRP uses internal. Tacops uses standard Guide rod, TRP use FLGR. Both pistols have demonstrated comparable performance with the same ammo and have been as reliable as 1911's can be. All this said, all though I've owned my Tacops twice as long as my TRP, I prefer the Sig Tacops and if I had to buy another tomorrow, I get another Tacops. Just a Commander sized variant this time.

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have neither but the Springfield TRP is a better gun from what I've heard and Springfield is more dedicated on the 1911 platform over sig......Honestly, I'd look at a Colt. I bought a Colt Competition s/s in 9mm, and it's a VERY tight 1911. I really couldn't believe how tight the barrel fit and slide to frame fit is on it.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I've got a TRP and a 1911 Nightmare .357. Quality-wise, they are similar.

In my opinion, SIG's 1911's are 1911 pattern P-series guns. (This is a good thing) They seem to exhibit the same quality, fit, and finish. They also seem to have a similar uniformity of fit to the P-series versions. (That said...if only H&K made a 1911 and not the HK45....but I digress)

The TRP has more hand fitting, so there is some variation in them in terms of fit, finish, and quality. My example handles very well, having a nice, snappy safety and possibly the nicest trigger of all my 1911's. The only part that bugs me is that Springfield's fixed sights are set for a 6 O'Clock hold. I have a devil of a time getting used to it. If I could buy one again, I would probably go with a TRP operator, with its adjustable sights, bull barrel, and pic rail.

If you are looking to spend money in the $1500.00 range, you should also consider the Dan Wesson Valor. If you get the stainless version, its within $200.00 of the TRP but is head and shoulders above the TRP in build quality and ergonomics. (That said, I like the 25 LPI checkering on my SIG Nightmare just as much as the checkering on my Valor. The TRP uses 20 LPI checkering, which is nice with gloves, but bites my bare hand if I try to grip it firmly.)

In sum: If you like the SIG, buy the SIG. If you like the TRP, consider a Valor before making a purchase.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post