SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cheap pistol challenge- ideas wanted.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap pistol challenge- ideas wanted. Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
So I was browsing and came across a 'review' of cheap handguns. My family has an annual get together, that we call "leadfest". It's all in fun. And of course we add a crawfish boil. But back to the subject, after seeing this video I thought it would be fun to challenge the brothers and cousins to find the cheapest gun they can find to use in some sort of competition. I'm thinking some type of scored course of fire, and then divide the score by the cost of the gun used.

Anybody have any ideas that would make a somewhat level playing field? I don't think we can be too time based, given that we could have revolvers, pocket pistols, etc. And I don't think I want to involve power factors, as in the video below the .25 ACP wouldn't knock down plates. But I'm open to suggestions.

Here is the video that got me thinking:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6p0aEKCLw

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab a cheap high point

While not my preference I know people that have them (because it’s what they could afford) and they always went bang

Every Jimenez ive seen failed more often than it fired

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Grab a cheap high point

While not my preference I know people that have them (because it’s what they could afford) and they always went bang

Every Jimenez ive seen failed more often than it fired

Thanks, but I'm not looking for pistol ideas. I'm asking about ideas for how to structure the challenge.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about an SCCY 9MM? That's pretty cheap. OR A Taurus P111 G2, also 9MM....

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Superzuki:
How about an SCCY 9MM? That's pretty cheap. OR A Taurus P111 G2, also 9MM....

I hope that was sarcasm. If not, please read my post!

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
10 yards out, set up gallon jugs. Each participant shoots jugs using the others' pistols, not theirs. # of hits in jugs divided by cost a f pistol is the best cheap pistol.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a challenge to find Milsurp pistols, perhaps even a specific era of conflicts? I have been watching a bunch of the C&Rsenal and Forgotten Weapons videos on and there are a couple that I would love to find an excuse to buy.

Likewise, you could developer a course that requires using shooting techniques that were in practice back then (I.e. one handed).

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Five water balloons at 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 yard intervals. 25 rounds for each attempt. Points double at each row farther.

Done this a few times in the back yard. You could factor in the purchase/average price of each pistol by dividing the price by 100 and multiplying it by the final score.

Wouldn't expect too many 50 yard balloons shot with a Raven, but all of them should be gone with a Strayer Voigt. Hell of a lot of fun either way. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Five water balloons at 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 yard intervals. 25 rounds for each attempt. Points double at each row farther.

Done this a few times in the back yard. You could factor in the purchase/average price of each pistol by dividing the price by 100 and multiplying it by the final score.

Wouldn't expect too many 50 yard balloons shot with a Raven, but all of them should be gone with a Strayer Voigt. Hell of a lot of fun either way. Big Grin

this,

and maybe add some luan type wood (or stiff cardboard) cutouts depicting some characters and stuff,

monsters, dragons etc, think the beginning sequence of MIB

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou

Thanks, but I'm not looking for pistol ideas. I'm asking about ideas for how to structure the challenge.

Yes, but you posted it in the "pistol" sub-forum.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Use a plate rack with 5 or 6 plates, per capacity of the gun. Use fresh paint after each shooter so you can see hits if they don’t fall, count as a hit if it marks paint. You can use a timer that way. Do an overall and by class such as DA revolver or semi, maybe even single action revolvers as some are quite cheap in .22lr.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Yes, but you posted it in the "pistol" sub-forum.

Yes, and he clearly explained what he was seeking in that sub-forum—presumably assuming that anyone who responded would read more than one word: How silly of him. Roll Eyes

I think it’s a great idea. I would decide what was being tested by the course and announce that in advance. If it’s close range self-defense, I’d do something like was already suggested with water balloons hung from a rope. That would involve a lot of logistics, and a steel plate would go much faster, but might not be as satisfying. Plus there’s the issue of minimum distance that might make a larger target desirable. If the purpose is long range accuracy, setting reactive (or at least marking) targets at ever-increasing distances would be fun, but again people must have some idea of the course so someone with a 25 ACP Jennings doesn’t know it’s hopeless from the beginning.

Keep ammunition capacity and speed of drawing from the holster out of it by limiting the number of targets/shots and having everyone start with guns in hand or perhaps on a tabletop.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5) 8 inch diameter paper plates
5) 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper

one set at
18 feet, 24 feet, 36 feet and 42 feet. 48 feet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Maybe as part of regs, you handicap those who spend more? Probably too nitpicky for a simple fun idea, but helps people from saying darn all I could find is this $400 Glock.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2444 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See post #18 on this link:
https://www.ingunowners.com/fo...qualification-2.html

Several old fed LEO pistol quals. I did the USMS with them back in 2003 when they transitioned to mandatory G22. You can eliminate timers or adjust reloads if you feel the need. One of the things we did in practice was a hands-up drill. It obviously wasn't too realistic, but it gave you an idea of how quickly someone can draw even when they look like they've surrendered. We stood two lanes apart (both facing down range) and the "good guy" was at low ready. The "bad guy" had his hands in the air. Whenever the bad guy decided, he'd draw and shoot his target. When the good guy saw him move out of his peripheral, he could shoot. It was a fun distraction, but I dunno how you score that.

Balloon boards are fun but can be tedious to set up and a pain if there's wind. Use different sized balloons (or inflated to different sizes), smaller worth more points of course.

Get some paper plates at the dollar store, both regular and small size. Take 10 of each and staple the small ones in the middle of the large ones and write the numbers 0-9 on them. Add a bullseye dot in the middle. Put them up in random order and then have people shoot their telephone number. Or if capacity doesn't permit, use birthday mmddyy format. They gotta have 6 shots right? Anyway, score it like 10 points for bullseye, 3 for inner plate 1 for outer. Or whatever scoring makes sense to you.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A round of "gangsta style" might be fun. The only way allowed is to hold the pistol rotated 90 degrees, gangsta style.

Maybe a few bonus points for dressing gangsta style. Bling Bling.

Or not. Big Grin

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the shooters will have more than a few malfunctions during the course of fire, add some sort of goofy penalty for every occurrence. Make them shout out a goofy phrase or do a little shuffle each time!

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
I'm thinking the shooters will have more than a few malfunctions during the course of fire, add some sort of goofy penalty for every occurrence. Make them shout out a goofy phrase or do a little shuffle each time!

"This is my pistol! There are many like it, but this one is mine! I should be embarrassed to admit that but there it is! Without me, it still wouldn't work! Without it, I'd be better off! It will jam, I know it! I should be better at clearing malfunctions than I am, because this POS gives me plenty of practice! I should trade it at the next gun buyback for a gift certificate to Red Lobster- I WILL!"

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was fun for me and I actually used it in LE training a couple of times:
Find a good dirt or sand backstop. Sprinkle it liberally with cheap, generic round nacho chips. Engage the chips with .22 pistols from 15 yards. Whoever busts the most chips in the shortest time wins.
Good for the environment too, since the birds and squirrels clean up the chips.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
A round of "gangsta style" might be fun. The only way allowed is to hold the pistol rotated 90 degrees, gangsta style.

Maybe a few bonus points for dressing gangsta style. Bling Bling.

Or not. Big Grin

Sounds like “Cultural appropriation” to me...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post