SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    MOS for P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOS for P228 Login/Join 
posted
I have a P228 and am getting older. I would like to add an MOS similar to the Sig ROMEO. Not having much luck getting information.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dick

Posts: 9 | Registered: July 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone who mills the folded steel slide. SO it might be that you can get a later stainless slide from, for example, a 9mm 229. That you can get milled for some specific optics (RMR is easy, others not so much, no one does the sig optic).
I leave it to the other experts to tell you how to get a 9mm 229 slide to run on a 228, I think its a locking block change only. I think its OK but I don't know personally.
Or you can just get any p series sig with a milled slide and send it off to be milled, or get a glock mos or...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Not to be a spoil sport, but by the time you're done with this project, you probably could have bought a pistol purpose built for the optic.

I would not go hacking on a 228 for kicks.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Not to be a spoil sport, but by the time you're done with this project, you probably could have bought a pistol purpose built for the optic.

I agree.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave the 228 as is and buy the Glock. Better all around.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
As recommended by others, you are likely better off getting another gun. I might try different iron sights...Trijicon HD's helped with my aging eyes. Maybe CTC laser grips.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Besides the 320, are their other Sigs that are factory milled for an RMR?

And the 320 isn't a bad option. IMHO better than a Glock.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to buy a P320 with an optical sight. If you like the way your P228 shoots, you will like a P320. Hacking up a P228 is not a good option.

SIG also offers a P226 with an optical sight installed.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Besides the 320, are their other Sigs that are factory milled for an RMR?

And the 320 isn't a bad option. IMHO better than a Glock.

they make a 226RX with the romeo.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Springer Precision makes a dovetail MRD mount, I'm just not sure if it works with the 228. Might be worth a phone call.

http://shop.springerprecision....Id=397&categoryId=-1

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

I agree.

To quote Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion...

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No 228 work.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Yep. G19 comes in MOS config now. As does the XD, and P320.

However, if you absolutely must have it, do one of the mounts that replaces the rear sight so you don't permanently alter the p228.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
If it is a JJ date code P228 let us know before you proceed. Smile

I'd trade you another p228 to preserve that one and you can MOS outfit the trade to your hearts desire.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Aren't many hammer guns that come pre-machined at the factory to accept an optic. Given the folded slide on your gun, I'd say trade your P228 for a new or used P229. With its stainless slide there should be ample material for a gunsmith to machine out a slot for a red dot optic of your choice. Either than or switch to 45AUTO and get yourself a FNX45 Tactical. There may be others but none come to mind right now. At least before first coffee...

Or consider a striker gun; LOTS of those now available with optics-ready slides. SIG, S&W, Glock, Springfield...and it's a list that's only going to grow.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hack a 228 either, but if you are committed to the gun, then I'd buy a 229 and have it milled to accept the optic of your choice.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
As the others here have suggested, a purpose built slide or one customized from a P229 to swap with.

I have a P220 from 1985 with Bo-Mar adjustable sights. They appear to be Sig factory specific and I can't find any info anywhere, but it has the slide machined to recess the rear sight that is mounted to the breech block.

The newer (10mm) P220 has the adjustable sights also, but it is cut down enough that the firing pin lock spring presses against the underside of the rear sight.

There is a significant amount of work to get these adjustable sights mounted. The optics and/or ROMEO would also need to have holes drilled and tapped further than the adjustable sights previously mentioned. Adding to the complexity of the installation.

A P229 slide milled to a Picatinny style rail on the rear of it where the optic is to be mounted is a possibility. I have seen this work done for around $125.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no magic in getting an RMR cut on a milled slide 229. Or any Pseries sig with a solid slide. Numerous people do it. Some will do other optics than the RMR but that is more rare. In all these that I have had done the firing pin block pocket is breached and you have to hold the spring with the bottom of the optic mount.
I have never seen a picatiny rail milled but I would expect it would have all the disadvantages of the dovetail mounts in that it would have the sight sitting too high for cowitnessed irons, but that is pure supposition. Out of curiosity I'll see if I can find a picture to confirm that. If someone wants to just try this there are dovetail mounts that will work but again the sight is pretty high when you do that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post