SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    German X 5s Importer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German X 5s Importer? Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
Thinking of getting one.
Who is the guy that does the importing?

Thanks,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Check MMB Imports in Myersville, MD.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Interesting... I've been debating trying to import a P210 Legend and/or an X5 for a little while no, but would like to get a handle on costs. MMB has their import fee, but it looks like there is also international shipping, plus some customs fees. Does anyone have a handle on how much those are.

Also, anyone have a line on any good German retailers so I can check current pricing over there?

I'm kinda speculating, but I'm guessing the final import premium is roughly $4-500 above the cost of the gun?

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
I just had three X5s imported, a X5 short, and two "Final Editions".

Shipping, export paperwork and 19% tax on these services was approximately $750 ($250 per gun).

The US Customs side of the deal is around $600 dollars ($200 per gun).

For one gun, I would venture $750 to get it here and then add state sales tax and FFL fees.

Night sights are off limits due to radiation concerns in Germany.

Patience and persistence is required. Good luck!

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Do the imported firearms have to be defaced the way some of the older german guns are with PW ARMS stamps, etc, when you import this way?

A P210 Legend might go for 3 grand on GB...is there a cost advantage to importing? This means the gun itself would have to cost 2200 or so given those import costs...which seems pretty low...i have a feeling they cost more than that in germany.

perhaps the way to justify it is to do multiples as you have.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
www.rothe-waffen.de

Based on my experiences, I can't say I would recommend Tim anymore though in some ways he may be the only game in town...

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
Import markings are required. They can be put in less obvious places, but legally they are required. The X5s I ordered were $1500 plus expenses. Much less than GB - and they are unique. I believe the P210 on order will be around $3000 when it finally gets here, but the Super Target with silver PVD finish is worth it.

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Take a look at MMB Imports engraving on the X-guns on their website. Very nicely done, imo.
http://mmbimports.com/?page_id=235

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at MMB Imports engraving on the X-guns on their website. Very nicely done, imo.
http://mmbimports.com/?page_id=235

Agree, Q!

thanks guys for this info. i'm going to reach out; i'd like to import a P210 Super Target and an X5 Supermatch.

Is there a possibility also to import german versions of the standard lineup like the 226 SL/AL SO or LDC, or a 232 which are now selling for a grand on GB? Not sure if the importers care which or if it is not economical to try to import those.

honestly, you can't lose b/c 3000 all-in on a Silver PVD P210 is less than what they sell for on GB...prices which I simply refuse to pay

Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
You can't lose if you really enjoy the SIGs. Don't expect to make a profit. Sometimes you will. I have imported a few I like including the 226SL (no rail) and LDCs. Perhaps some 228s later this year...

Veni, Vidi, Risi

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220parts:
I have imported a few I like including the 226SL (no rail) and LDCs. Perhaps some 228s later this year...

Dang. I should have asked you to get a flat trigger for my X-Six...

Margie Benzer at MMB will keep you updated in a timely manner every time you transfer. The process takes about eight months on average.

The MMB engravings are discreet and very professional. You can also get that 50th commemorative P210 you always wanted.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Who can I go thru from start to finish and get the purchases done?

Bob

Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I've been to Sig's store in Epping twice in the last few months. The first time I went in I asked about the X5 and was told that they were no longer importing them into the US because of a German export ban. When I went in last week and asked again they said to just wait a while because the machines to make X5s were being shipped to NH and they would start making them here. I asked if he meant the machines to make the 320 X5 and he replied that while they're going to make those too, these machines will make the same X-5 Germany produced, obviously using American labor. Go ahead and take it for whatever that's worth.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad I purchased an X-5 All-round a couple years ago.

Posts: 314 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The X-guns are still coming over from Germany. I personally would not hold my breath for any of them guns being made at SIG USA. Not for a long while. I'll eat crow, if even one of them will be made this year. Not talking about the X-320.

And, the story about SIG Germany shipping their equipment to NH is urban legend, afaic. Why would they do that, when they're still churning out their own X-guns?

Q

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
From the MMB Imports website:

quote:
At MMBI, each firearm is individually engraved. We take the time to look at your firearm, figure out the most aesthetically place to engrave, and test the engraving using our fancy machine’s laser-light “test tool path” capability. We don’t touch your firearm until we’re sure we’ve got it right.

We engrave at the required-minimum height of 1/16″. This allows us to be very versatile in where we place the marking. Additionally, when applicable, we blue each engraving to achieve a finished look.

From start to finish, MMBI treats your firearm like the fine collectible it is. See what you think of our results.

Kinda' makes me want to import a German SIG! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:

And, the story about SIG Germany shipping their equipment to NH is urban legend, afaic. Why would they do that, when they're still churning out their own X-guns?

Please don't shoot the messenger (no pun intended) but my guess is that they'd sell a lot more X5s here than in Germany. Moreover, the X5 is a higher priced, competition grade pistol and America has more opportunities for the buyers to use it than the ones in Germany. I only mention that because my perception is that Sig has branded themselves as a one stop shop for polymer strike fired pistols, pocket pistols, AR-15s, suppressors, training, accessories, optics and even ammo. Why wouldn't they use that brand loyalty to sell a competition grade pistol that is already well known and respected?

Then again, the SSG was rumored to be made here in NH. At the time it was believed that because they were made in the USA, the import cost savings made it possible to sell it for half the price (which lasted a short while). I never handled one so I don't know if any were made here but what is clear is that they don't make them in NH now and likely never will.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
I've been to Sig's store in Epping twice in the last few months. The first time I went in I asked about the X5 and was told that they were no longer importing them into the US because of a German export ban. When I went in last week and asked again they said to just wait a while because the machines to make X5s were being shipped to NH and they would start making them here. I asked if he meant the machines to make the 320 X5 and he replied that while they're going to make those too, these machines will make the same X-5 Germany produced, obviously using American labor. Go ahead and take it for whatever that's worth.

I am not a machinist and don't really know a lot about modern handgun manufacturing but presumably these are CNC machines of some type. I'm sure Sig in NH has CNC machines. Couldn't they just send the programs instead of the machines themselves? Are the machines used in Germany of some special type that they would have to be shipped here to make a particular model?

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post