SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 226 or SP01?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 226 or SP01? Login/Join 
posted
0k so I've sank some cash into my 226 and in order to get it where I want it I'm gonna need to drop what I think it would cost to get into an SP01 with CGW pro kit. Barsto match barrel plus install fee should be right around $500 then send it for action enhancement ect...

My questions is what would be better to compete with the SP01 or 226?

Posts: 114 | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is hard to say. Have you ever handled a CZ pistol prior? They are solid guns and they weigh a little bit more than a 226,which could help with recoil,perceived or not.

Bore axis is lower on a CZ. To some it does not matter as much as others. I had a Springfield XD which I noticed more of an upwards flip due to higher bore axis,which for me, delayed my follow up shots. Some people have no problem with it as others, as it is a personal thing. Now, saying that, I have never noticed that issue with any metal Sig I have owned. It is a funny thing as the 226 and 229 models I owned, seemed to dampen recoil,especially in .40 S&W.

As with anything, it comes down to practicing with whichever you decide.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot my cousins SP01 with the pro kit installed last night as well as my 226. The Sp01 is buttery smooth on DA but I get better accuracy with my 226 from the red dot. Also my trigger is still stock so I'm hoping that with a little work from Grey guns I will get better accuracy. Forget swapping barrels for now and just put more rounds down range. Been doing a lot of DA practice since I have to draw hammer down. Also did a lot drills with one round modified grip so my fat thumb stops hitting the slide catch lever and it actually locks back on the last round. Is the smaller slide catch lever more forgiving for thumb placement?

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Having shot both platforms in USPSA I found that the CZ made me shoot heads and shoulders better that with the P226.
The weight and low bore axis made shooting fast on the run very easy and felt like a race car.
For carry or any serious work I'd keep the CZ in the safe and carry the Sig though.
Just my preference. Smile

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i shoot my sp01 tactical much better ,bore axis works better for me.makes me
look like I know how to shoot.i like the bigger slides on my sigs easier to
rack for me.will keep them all. maybe you could buy a cz try it stock then see if you would want to stick more dollars into it. if not sell it.love my sigs just need to practice with them more

Posts: 83 | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 CZ 75Bs one is a but ugly abomination someone wire wheeled the finish off of. The other is the OD green frame and I don't want it to get holster wear... I guess I can shoot all 3 on the next few range trips and see where the cards fall. If green one shoots and handles best so be it.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
SP01

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 with over 25,000 failure free rounds. I had an action job and SRT done and the DA / SA is great. My CZ Phantom is slightly more accurate IMO but not by much. CZ also did some trigger work and has a great DA /SA trigger. I would trust either gun with my life. For carry I would probably lean on the Sig and for target lean to the CZ.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind me asking. Who did the action job on the sig, how much of an improvement did you notice, and total cost involved?

quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
I have a P226 with over 25,000 failure free rounds. I had an action job and SRT done and the DA / SA is great. My CZ Phantom is slightly more accurate IMO but not by much. CZ also did some trigger work and has a great DA /SA trigger. I would trust either gun with my life. For carry I would probably lean on the Sig and for target lean to the CZ.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

For carry or any serious work I'd keep the CZ in the safe and carry the Sig though.

Is that preference for carry only because of size and weight, or other reasons?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I started USPSA shooting L-10 with a P220ST. Because that was the only applicable gun I had. I also used it for 3 gun and IDPAtype matches.

It didn't hold me back... until it did.

SP01 would be my answer to your question in a split second. (my Production and 3 gun pistol)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:

My response would be reliability. CZs are known to break slide stops and trigger return springs on a regular basis. You can swap them every so often to reduce the risk but it's a know issue. SIG P226es IMO have the original "to hell and back" reliability.

I shoot a 226 in IDPA and uspsa type competitions. Great pistol. I haven't owned or shot an SP01 so take that with a grain of salt. I do want one and am saving for a shadow 2. I've never shot one of those.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For "K Labs" My mechanical skills ends with a basic field clean. I sent the 226 to Sig for the Action Job and STR. The DA is now smooth as butter and probably about 8lbs (I don't have a scale). The SA is great and less than 4lds.

As for the cost here is where it got interesting. It was supposed to be $250 but for some reason Sig sent it back as a "free" repair. A mistake in paperwork that I did not correct.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
OR...get the SP01 and send it to Cajun for an action job? What I did and I like it as much as my S2, maybe more.

Either SIG or CZ , send them out to one of the better pistol smiths and I have NEVER been disappointed in the money spent. I like Cajun and Robert Burke.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Sig Armorer (Robert Burke) do the Competition Level Action Job on my MK25. He did a phenomenal job and he'll be getting more of my business in the future.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
quote:

My response would be reliability. CZs are known to break slide stops and trigger return springs on a regular basis. You can swap them every so often to reduce the risk but it's a know issue. SIG P226es IMO have the original "to hell and back" reliability.

I shoot a 226 in IDPA and uspsa type competitions. Great pistol. I haven't owned or shot an SP01 so take that with a grain of salt. I do want one and am saving for a shadow 2. I've never shot one of those.

Thanks for mentioning the issues with CZs There are newly designed slide stops and trigger return springs available. Trigger return springs said to be good for 25k dry fires. Hard to install w/o slave pin. I shoot my CZs better than my 226 Tacops both have fiber optic sights. I think now is a good time to lay in known to be problematic parts.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, weight being a big factor along with the P226 being super reliable as proved by the good folks in our special forces.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna stick with the SIG until I get faster/better.