SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Early GSR customization
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early GSR customization Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
As I've posted before, I have a somewhat unreasonable love for the original SIG GSR in spite of all it's trials and tribulations. To some extent I believe it was the victim of unbridled expectation coupled with 1911 "fanaticism". We all have strong opinions and gun people perhaps even stronger and 1911 gun people perhaps the strongest about what they like, what they don't like, what it right and what is wrong and what is good and what is bad.

People has extremely high expectations for SIGs intial foray into the 1911 market. Perhaps that was appropriate and perhaps the result was indeed genuinely and understandably disappointing.

From what I've heard and read, those supplying SIG with parts were overwhelmed with the production demands and perhaps SIG pushed too hard to put out guns. It's also likely they just didn't have the requisite experience assembling 1911s and producing what they seemed to be advertising as a custom or semi-custom quality firearm. Certainly, for whatever reason, the frames supplied by Caspian were apparently an issue.

It's unclear from what I've been able to find out, when SIG started to transition to their own frames and slides from the Caspian frames and slides. I'm sure it was not a clean bread and that there are guns with a mix of the two.

It seems that the earlier sub-600 guns are by most estimation "all caspian" frames and slides. There is a definitely difference in a few of the small details between the two. On the other hand, Caspian sold kits of "overrun" frames, slides and parts that look almost exactly like the post-600 SN guns with the exception of front cocking serrations which Caspian added to distinguish them and a few other details. So, it may be that the Caspian design changed before SIG moved away from using them.

I have two GSRs. One is very early, sub-600 SN and the other later but well before it was discontinued, well before the Revolution and the SIG 1911 and well before the newest iteration of SIGs 1911 production. I would put the stages this way.

1. First production GSRs (There may be a subgenus here before the Revolution)
2. Revolutions or second production GSRs
3. Brand 1911
4. Current 1911

I owned an original GSR in the GS03xxx range but sold it years ago. I had also owned one of the first non-railed Revolutions that came out when the Granite State Rail became the Granite State Revolution (clever eh?). I sold that gun as well. But later I realized I liked the GSR much more than I thought when I sold the first one. So, I started looking for another in 2013.

I swore off the Revolution and the subsequent 1911 series because they just didn't seem reliable, there were so many "frankenguns" SIG was putting out at the time. It was clear they were using up older GSR parts and it was unclear the quality of the guns.

With the current batch, I think SIG has finally found it's sea legs in the 1911 market. I have a Nitron Super Target, one of the first to come out.

I have had the two I have customized and I'm pleased with the result. Although I'm sure some will consider this trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I think the gun is better than that.

The two things that bothered me the most was the hammer lean, although not an issue functionally as long as it's not rubbing the frame, and the fit of the grip safety. It was clear on the older one there had been little or no blending and the gunsmith indicated the thumb safety was obvious installed by someone who knew very little about assembling 1911s in his opinion. Very little fitting and blending had been done. There were gaps on either side of the grip safety and the gaps line of the frame was not even in relation to the side of the safety on either. On the older one, when the safety was depressed, it passed the edge of the frame and left a raised ridge.

The new part and some blending corrected most of this and made the grip safety appearance and function much better.

Here is the later of the two. Esmeralda cocobolo grips with SIG emblem, WC Bullet Proof grip safety, Ed Brown thumb safety, Heine night sights, 11 degree barrel crown, 25lpi checkering front and back, general light dehorn of entire gun and smoothing of the barrel bushing, bead blast through out.

Here is the older one. Same work done. This one does have noticeable "hammer lean", one of the infamous issues with the GSR.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I have number 1208. It was a gift years ago.

I have been thinking about getting it cerahide coated at CCR, in a semi glossy black, leaving the controls SS.

I had to send it back to SIG because it had the hammer lean issue. I was disappointed in the "fix"; all they did was grind down one side of the hammer. They also removed the SS guide rod and installed a plain jane blue one. That also left a bad taste in my mouth because they didn't return the original guide rod to me.

I want to replace the beavertail on my also, it looks like it was installed by a 8 year old with a sawsall. SIG said "works as intended".

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by celticwolf:
I have number 1208. It was a gift years ago.

I have been thinking about getting it cerahide coated at CCR, in a semi glossy black, leaving the controls SS.

I had to send it back to SIG because it had the hammer lean issue. I was disappointed in the "fix"; all they did was grind down one side of the hammer. They also removed the SS guide rod and installed a plain jane blue one. That also left a bad taste in my mouth because they didn't return the original guide rod to me.

I want to replace the beavertail on my also, it looks like it was installed by a 8 year old with a sawsall. SIG said "works as intended".

All VERY disappointing! I've also considered having one of them refinished. I'm going to give that some thought.

I don't know there is much to be done with the hammer lean. If it's what I've heard it is, it's about the frame and would require welding perhaps, but I don't know. If it were just the hammer, I would gladly have it replaced.

I can't understand why they would replace the guide rod at all. Roll Eyes

It's sort of a "sunk cost" issue. Do you just bail on it or do you try to make it what you want it to be. How much money do you put into it and it that money throwing good money after bad or not.

Do you just realize you're going to loss money selling it, do that and go on with your life? I like the gun well enough to put money into it. There are things I wish were better, but I enjoy shooting it too much to dump it. That's why I bought another one after selling the first one.

Generally, they go for about $750 to $800 on GB although some people try to get $1000 or $1100 for them if NIB. They usually don't see online for that. I believe $1100 is close to the original street price.

They didn't live up to this advert:

"When the name on the slide is SIGARMS, you know this is no ordinary production 1911. SIGARMS called on the expertise of an IPSC World Champion and a team of the most talented designers around to create a 1911 that would be at home in the SIGARMS family. With stainless steel components, internal safety features, a custom trigger and dehorned frame and slide, the GSR is unique in the world of 1911s. The impeccable fit and finish is a result of lapping and fitting all components by hand. Our team balanced tight fit, accuracy and reliability to produce a pistol that's as close as you can get to a custom-built gun. Like all of our guns, the GSR is built to perform, passing a torture test of 10,000 rounds without a single failure. The result is the new Granite Series Rail."

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this with us. I didn't know they had started out with Caspians. Looks like they did good work on the custom work and turned out some fine pistols.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome write up, great timing too. I'm personally looking at 1911s and ive pretty much settled on Sig..... unless HK gets a bug up their you know where to make one, then I might jump ship.

I was specifically looking at a GSR 5xxx which seems to be a decent price at my LGS. I had basically settled on a Super Target and since you have both which do you think is "better"? Is the new Target basically the same with the TTT/STX/Super surpassing it?

Posts: 48 | Registered: July 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OddyseusDSM:
Awesome write up, great timing too. I'm personally looking at 1911s and ive pretty much settled on Sig..... unless HK gets a bug up their you know where to make one, then I might jump ship.

I was specifically looking at a GSR 5xxx which seems to be a decent price at my LGS. I had basically settled on a Super Target and since you have both which do you think is "better"? Is the new Target basically the same with the TTT/STX/Super surpassing it?

I believe the Super Target, the current one, is one of the best SIG is making now. The STX is also a good choice at a lower price point.

What is the GSR you're looking at? I'd go with a current SIG 1911 over a GSR in the GS5xxx range if the SIG 1911 is a current production.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have what I think to be a second gen GSR with a SN in the 16K range.

I haven't paid much attention to the finer details like many of you, I just went out and shot the living shit out of it.

I did change the sights, grip panels, put a magwell on it and eventually put a flat Wilson recoil spring and rod in it.

People are amazed when they try the trigger and I tell them that it came from the factory and hasn't been touched.

Mine has run flawlessly on my reloads except for a batch of bad MO Bullets 200 Gr LSWC that were not swaged to the proper dimensions.

It rocks on today with no breakages.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

I believe the Super Target, the current one, is one of the best SIG is making now. The STX is also a good choice at a lower price point.

What is the GSR you're looking at? I'd go with a current SIG 1911 over a GSR in the GS5xxx range if the SIG 1911 is a current production.

GSR Revolution, looks like early in Sigs takeover.

Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 48 | Registered: July 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has an early one with a bit of hammer-lean. He had a gunsmith swap out the sights, replace the sear, and do a basic 4.5lb trigger job, and it is a solid and reliable shooter with around 20,000 rounds through it so far.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OddyseusDSM:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

GSR Revolution, looks like early in Sigs takeover.

Thanks for the advice!

The Revolution was SIGs reboot of the GSR after they closed down production on the first attempt. Then, after the Revolution, the early ones just labeled 1911, I think SIG lost their way again. The Early Revolustions, I think, were good guns. I had an early one and they seemed to have cleaned up the issues with the original GSR. The 5000 range is probably early in that production run.

posted Hide Post
Those a two fine looking GSR’s you have there. Love the grips!

I have GSR in the GS023xx range since it was new. It has the hammer lean issue, but a fantastic trigger. I go through periods where I think about selling for a more traditional looking 1911 but I haven’t shot many 1911 that shoot better then this one.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've owned a GS 04XXX Revolution, no rail, for years. The trigger has more up and down play in it than I'd like, and the funky grip safety should have gone away a while ago. I replaced the grips and sights as a matter of personal taste. I'd like an arched mainspring housing. Having said that, it is as accurate as guns costing 2-3x, and hasn't jammed aside from a broken extractor. Not unexpected after 10,000+ rounds. A gunsmith I trust went over it inside and out and said the components are top of the line. Evidently it was the assembly that was hit or miss on these early GSRs.

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I've owned a GS 04XXX Revolution, no rail, for years. The trigger has more up and down play in it than I'd like, and the funky grip safety should have gone away a while ago. I replaced the grips and sights as a matter of personal taste. I'd like an arched mainspring housing. Having said that, it is as accurate as guns costing 2-3x, and hasn't jammed aside from a broken extractor. Not unexpected after 10,000+ rounds. A gunsmith I trust went over it inside and out and said the components are top of the line. Evidently it was the assembly that was hit or miss on these early GSRs.

That is also what I’ve heard. The components were high quality, though some of the choices were not to some peoples tastes, like the “speed bump” grip safety and the straight line “checkering”.

There were dimensional issues with some of the frames also, from what I’ve heard as well from a person who should know.

The broken extractor was an issue I experienced on both my original GSR and also the Revolution I had. I had to send the Revolution to EGW to have the extractor pin drilled out to replace the extractor. EGW also sent a replacement extractor for the pre-Revolution GSR for free. George said he had never seen an extractor breakage like that before. I think the original OEM extractors were EGW.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 748s:
Those a two fine looking GSR’s you have there. Love the grips!

I have GSR in the GS023xx range since it was new. It has the hammer lean issue, but a fantastic trigger. I go through periods where I think about selling for a more traditional looking 1911 but I haven’t shot many 1911 that shoot better then this one.

I’ve gone around and around about grips. I’ve tried “exotic” wood grips and somehow I just never can seem to find anything I really like. So, now, it’s mostly cocobolo with emblems or VZGrips. I don’t know why I can’t get settled with exotic wood grips.

posted Hide Post
I’ve had VZ on mine in the past, now I’m running pachmayr on it now. Really don’t care for the looks of them, they just fit my hand better. Just might have to get a set of those Esmeralda’s to try!

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful GSR you have SIGWolf! I have one of the first original GSRs and a Nitron Revolution. I've had great luck with both of them. After reading about the extractor hooks breaking, I quit shooting them on a regular basis. I will say they are shooters for sure.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both an early railed GSR sn under 1120 and a non railed GSR Revolution under 5800 and like both of them really well. I have often thought of selling one or the other or both on several occasions but I'm not willing to give them away. My GSRs were my first 1911s and maybe that is why I haven't sold them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cazio,

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I have what I think to be a second gen GSR with a SN in the 16K range.

I haven't paid much attention to the finer details like many of you, I just went out and shot the living shit out of it.

I did change the sights, grip panels, put a magwell on it and eventually put a flat Wilson recoil spring and rod in it.

People are amazed when they try the trigger and I tell them that it came from the factory and hasn't been touched.

Mine has run flawlessly on my reloads except for a batch of bad MO Bullets 200 Gr LSWC that were not swaged to the proper dimensions.

It rocks on today with no breakages.

RMD

I have one in the same serial number range and it has been terrific though I don't have near as many rounds through mine as you do. Glad to hear yours has been running great.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
I have both an early railed GSR sn under 125 and a non railed GSR Revolution under 5800 and like both of them really well. I have often thought of selling one or the other or both on several occasions but I'm not willing to give them away. My GSRs were my first 1911s and maybe that is why I haven't sold them.

I’d really love to see some 360 degree detailed pics of the sub-125 GSR.

Picture of SPIFFY_002
posted Hide Post
Very nice write-up, SIGWOLF.

I got one of the first GSR Revolutions (4695) from one of the SigForum vendors here. I fell for the marketing pitch about the Sig rugged good looks on a 1911 platform, and about the high quality parts with no MIM. It soon became a safe queen that I rarely took out.

I haven't had any issues other than the oddly shaped grip safety that felt very uncomfortable to me. So much so that I tried to have an Ed Brown grip safety fitted by a gun smith but he was unsuccessful in doing so. I instead had him reshape the Sig grip safety to resemble the EB one much to my palm's satisfaction.

The trigger feels very nice and this is coming from someone who has an Ed Brown Kobra Carry to compare it against.

Any ideas what the market rate would be? They don't pop up very often on Gunbroker or classifieds.

Posts: 899 | Location: East TX | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post