SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you ever clean the inside of your gun safe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever clean the inside of your gun safe? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I was moving some things around in my safe last night and for some reason, decided to flash a light into it. The safe is stored in a reasonably lit, but somewhat dim area. Anyway, upon looking in the safe with a bright light, I noticed a very thin layer of dust on the shelves and such. So now my OCD is kicking in. How often should I clean the inside of my safe? What should I use? I'm thinking Simple Green and a microfiber cloth should do the trick (shelves are just coated metal). So, do you ever clean the inside of your gun safe? If so, how and how often?

Not sure if it is ok to post this here. Please move if need be.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Not the inside of the safe itself as the whole thing is carpet lined, but every now and then I pull the guns out and wipe them down with a clp cloth and check the dessicant.

I probably should give it a once over with the vacuum though, but I haven't noticed any dust accumulation on anything inside.

If it were me, and had metal shelves, I would just use a swiffer wipe and call it good.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not so much cleaning but I did lube my locks not to long ago. My safes are over 20 years old, S&G dial locks.

I just had to take the inside door cover off to get to the lock. Both dials are very smooth now.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never needed to. They are safes for queens, so they are always clean. Smile

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
We have a service for that. Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I would, if needed.

Posts: 50 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine seals up tight enough that dust is not a problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never have.

I did have a stack-on locker for the kids bb guns years ago that got a wipe-down when pulled out of storage, but that's about it.

I do clean the firearms, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Not the inside of the safe itself as the whole thing is carpet lined, but every now and then I pull the guns out and wipe them down with a clp cloth and check the dessicant.

I probably should give it a once over with the vacuum though, but I haven't noticed any dust accumulation on anything inside.

If it were me, and had metal shelves, I would just use a swiffer wipe and call it good.

You're right! Thanks guys! Fucken OCD!!!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It could be that putting lower-output bulbs in nearby lighting fixtures would resolve the matter. Wink

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Inside my safes is probably the cleanest place in my house.

Besides, if I don't clean anywhere else, why would I clean in there?

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the posts here and went out to check mine. Nothing!

No dirt, dust or little critters.

Though not particularly expensive, I have noticed that the doors seem to be very tight when shut.

Made me feel better, finding nada.

Bob

Posts: 1574 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless something nasty spilled on a shelf, I don’t think I’d use a water based product in my safe that stores things that could rust.

For dusting metal shelves, I think I’d just spray down a microfiber rag with a little WD40. Dust everything off, let it air out a few minutes and, call it good.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have never felt the need to do such.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post