SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Llama Brand Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Llama Brand Pistols Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
Saw that Academy Sports is now carrying a Llama 38 Super.
Eagle Imports is exporting from (it seems) the Philippines.
Used to be a decent pistol at a low price point when made in Spain. Not so cheap any more.
WARNING: Their site is not safe. My anti-virus picked up problems before they became problems.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The older Llama pistols seemed a notch below Star and Astra, their main competition, to me. I have no idea what the attraction of the name is today. Maybe the brand is well regarded in South America.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.
~Ogden Nash

Excepting, of course, the dreaded three-l lllama fire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a perfect, quarter-inch scar on the web of my right hand thanks to ridiculous hammer bite from a friend's Llama .380 1911-ish pistol. Never again.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were a step below Smith or Colt in both quality and price. If price was your most important criteria, then you might have bought a Llama.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The older Llama pistols seemed a notch below Star and Astra, their main competition, to me. I have no idea what the attraction of the name is today. Maybe the brand is well regarded in South America.

I agree. Star were good. Astra ok. Llama were junk.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a commander size Llama once, I think I owned it less than a week. It was terribly un reliable and because it wasn't compatable with standard 1911 parts, it didn't make sense to try and get it running right. My question would be... Why would you by a Llama when you have so many options out there?

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of the old original Llama 380 auto. I have owned them since the early 1970s. They both run 100%, even with lower powdered handloads. I know nothing of the "new" Llamas.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think I'd buy a Bersa before I bought a Llama.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Not much wrong with the Bersa Thunder 380s. We sold a pantload of them at the hardware store, and never had anybody mention a problem with them.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've yet to have any issue with my Thunder 380, other than accelerated wear on its cheapy finish, a surprising feat considering that it never gets carried and is only an less-than-occasional range toy. However my Thunder 22 has been a less-than-reliable piece of work. I've never owned a Llama or even shot one, but I suspect that my Thunder 22 would probably give it a run for its money on being the low rung on the ladder.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I had a Llama 1911 .45 once, it was a great single shot pistol.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw that Academy Sports is now carrying a Llama 38 Super.
Eagle Imports is exporting from (it seems) the Philippines.

Sounds like new production, Philippine-made with the Llama name on it. Other names include better-known ones like Rock Island Armory and American Tactical. I have no experience with them, but would expect about the same level of price/quality. The old Spanish Llamas haven't been made in over 30 years.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
There is no connection between Llama (flame) on the Phillipines and Llama in Spain except for the name. Llama in Spain is out of business for 20years.
Interesting are observations about quality between the US and EU. Llama is considered here on par with Astra and Star in remains of quality and advanced in design.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Llama but I own Star pistols and they are head and shoulders above the cheesy Astra A-80 I purchased. I was intrigued with the idea of a 15 shot DA .38 Super.

After buying the Astra from Gunbroker, I was no longer intrigued. So very, very far from intrigued. Cheesy, cheap-feeling, shoddy pistol.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll admit that I carry old prejudices on some brands.....Llama is one of them. Junk.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These new Llama pistols are being made by Metro Arms in the Philippines. Says so on the back of the owners manual. Metro Arms makes the American Classic brand of 1911s also imported by Eagle.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
Just the name alone - Llama - makes me not want to try one. Big Grin

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first semi-auto handgun I owned was a Llama .380 back in 1976..from what I remember it was well built and a nice looking little handgun with no issues at all

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had a .22lr 1911 look alike, jammed all the time, hammer bite. Got rid of it quick.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post