SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    E2 upgrade to standard Sig grips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E2 upgrade to standard Sig grips Login/Join 
posted
Would welcome comments and experiences with the E2 upgrade grips vs the standard Sig grips for the P226 and P229. Both pistols are DA/SA in 9mm. Only experience I have with the E2 grip modules is on my P224 SAS model. I like the feel of them on the P224, principally the purchase you get on the P224's smaller grip. No need for a mag extension, at least on the 9mm. Assume the feel of the E2 grips on the 226 and 229 would be solid, but they do appear to provide a slightly smaller circumference than the standard grips. In addition, I don't have any particular issues with speed or accuracy with the standard grips. Just wondering whether they would be worth a try. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't had the need to try out the E2 grips. Sounds like they work great on your P224 SAS.
If you are able to find take offs from someone else, try those. If you don't like them and sell them later, you shouldn't be out much.
Some gun ranges may have the configuration you are looking for as a rental.
As for me, I'd have to say that the checkered aluminum grips are the way to go. Have them on my P238 HD, most P220s and Desert Eagles.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with the E2 grip was not favorable. I purchased a NIB Sig P229 E2 SAS 9mm...the grip felt great in my hand, but...it seemed to slip and slide on the frame....it didn't feel secure, so...I sold them and bought me a set of Hogue Pirahnas.....it may of been mental, but....I like my grips to feel secure beneath the pressure of my grip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I agree with Wayne229. The E2 grips do not feel secure in my hands when shooting. The P series SIG’s I own that had them, which includes a P224, were also changed for Hogue Piranha’s.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the three earlier comments. I actually found that my shots would string up and left during rapid fire with the E2 grips. That was a phenomena that I had not previously experienced. If the stringing wasn't reason enough, the E2 grips also did not make a big difference on reach.

I recently donated my E2's to another member. Maybe their experience will be different.

All my Sigs now wear aluminum grips, but I also like the more aggressive grips from Hogue.

YMMV

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I wondered about the E2 grips myself. I handled a SIG with E2 grips in a shop. Didn't care for them. I did buy a set of factory 229 grips, that have a straighter rear profile. Those I do like. Almost like changing from an arched mainspring housing on a 1911 to a flat one. I bought those from a private party though, so wouldn't know where to find another set. You'll have to handle a pistol with the E2 set to know if you like them. It's all just personal preference.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot my P226 all that much any more, but I prefer the E2 grips. I have had several P226s and P229s and I wound up selling them but keeping the E2. I have big hands, but even so the ergos just seem better to me. I haven't had any issue with control or the pistol being less secure in my hands with the E2.

I don't think there is any advantage to either, its 100% personal feel and preference. I know lots of people who disagree with me and don't like the E2 at all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I may be the odd man out... I have two P226's (one is an MK-25 model) the other standard that came with the E2 grips.... I prefer the E2s over the standard Sig grips for the P226... When I received the MK-25 it had the standard grips on it and they were way too thick for me... the gun did not feel right and so I thinned it down with G-10s but still prefer the even slightly thinner E2s on my original P226. It may have to do with hand size but for me the E2 grips are far superior.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
I had E2 grips on my 229 and liked them a lot. I’ve got small hands and they gave me a good grip and I could reach the mag release without shifting my grip. I decided I neede smaller and lighter, so I traded it for a Walther PPS. I’ll get another at some point.

Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just to add to this... I really wish they (Sig) could figure out a way to make the E2s in some other color than black... even the tan/brown would be good.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I love them as I have smaller hands. Got them on the P220, P226, and the P228. Funny I didn't really like the P320 grip modules but love the new X grip in medium feels great. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 229s I bought as CPOs. They came with standard grips that felt... squishy, and shifted around and creaked when I took a firm grip. Not great.

I tried E2 grips and found them to be rock solid. Absolutely no movement or creaking no matter how firm a grip I used. So now I have E2s on both.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with the E2 grips are that they are solid on the frame, and have good feel in my hand. That being said, the grip texture is like carrying 60-grit if you don’t wear an undershirt. The second issue I had was the trigger and grip combination. For instance, my first attempt was on an M11-A1 with the short-reach trigger. Made my hand feel cramped and my grouping garbage. Now I have them on a P229 with the old trigger style. Better feeling in general, but now I’m spoiled to the Legion-style P-SPIT trigger. I’m going to install that or the flat trigger and see if I want to keep the E2s or move to some G10 grips.

Posts: 9 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: April 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them. To me they offer a better gripping angle and gives a more natural hold. If you never put a pair on/off, make sure you brush up on the card trick to protect your springs.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the comments. Step 1 will be to go to an LGS and compare the feel of the standard and E2 grips on the 226 and 229. Step 2 will be to rent one with the E2 grips and see how they shoot for me.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It depends on the pair you get. I had a pair with some flex in them and one side of the E2 grips would pinch my hand under recoil.

Went back to regular grips before selling all but 1 SIG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I put the E2 grips on my 229 and I like them.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Step 1 is partially done. The store had a P226 with the E2 grip and a P226 MK25 with the standard grips. Both felt comfortable and solid in the hand, but frankly the E2 grip did not feel noticeably better, at least standing there at the counter. I would suspect the comparison on the P229 would give me the same result. When I get back home from a trip, I’ll find one of the local ranges with one to rent and try.

Just FYI, I found the P226s at a Base Pro Shops in Ohio, where I am traveling right now. Every gun I looked at in the case appeared to be on offer at MSRP. And of course the guy at the counter knew next to nothing about his stock. Maybe not surprising

posted Hide Post
The E2s are a no-go for me. Tried a P229 at a range. No movement of the grips, as described by some, but, again, no significant difference in the feel of the E2 grip in relation to the originals. Smaller and thinner, yes, but did not add anything to the control of the gun that isn't there already with the stock grips. Bingo - saved $140!

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
To me they're okay on the compact frame P229, and mildly annoying on a P226 due to the pronounced palm swell with the backstrap. I didn't experienced any slippage on frame with the E² in either compact or full-size guns. But they aren't my first or even a fifth preference as to grip type and hand fit for a classic P-series. Despite their more aggressive texture that I would typically prefer, in actual use they feel cheap and even look the part if not worse. So with the two I had they became relegated to the spare parts bin and finally were traded off or given away to others who believed they could find a use for them.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post