SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4) Login/Join 
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:
P229 Legion SAO

Ah...

I was going to suggest SAO and how I wish there was a P229 SAO, but unfortunately, no. My wife has the P226 SAO Legion and loves it. She has had joint replacement of her right thumb and just doesn't have the hand strength to deal with the Sig DA/SA. Even after a Robert Burke action job. There are a number of good 1911s in 9mm, if that's her comfort zone. Of course going the 1911 route can get expensive, but not so much more than a P226 SAO Legion.

Helping SIG decide the next market move.

His wife likes the P229, and hates the D/A, so this is a "must have".

Maybe SIG is listening...

Well, I sure in the hell am!

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I bought a Sig Pro, shit it once and my wife shot it the next outing and now refers to it as her gun. I guess it's a perfect gun for her. Try one on.

So now we know it was you!

Wernt me, I so t been in jail in several years!

Glad it was a case of mistaken identity. Hopefully you cleaned the piece before you let her shoot it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
P229 Legion SAO

At Shot Show 2017 I asked if a P229 Legion SAO was a possibility--the SIG rep said there was not enough room in the P229 for the SAO trigger. I don't know much about the P229, but has there ever been an SAO model?

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
I'd wouldn't "get" her anything. I'd let her pick her pistol.

Ditto. I think this is an implied sentiment in threads like this. I will very tempted by the CZ P10c when the rush is over and has been proven. My lc9s has one of the best triggers of all my pistols.

I will also plug the Sigpro. Still a good value.

https://gunsmagazine.com/sig-for-all-seasons/

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
cliffs at the bottom.

TL;DR, wife loves the p229 but hates the double action pull. She likes the p320 just okay. What would you suggest she try?

P229 dak/dao, usp compact (cocked and locked), usp compact lem, p2000 lem. - just a few suggestions that could fit into what your looking for. As was mentioned above you can find p229s in a non da/sa configuration for a rather good price. My lady shot my p229 stainless in da/sa and loved it (could be the stainless though = shiny). If she doesn't like da/sa I would say start there and look for different actions then find something that fits her hand and shoots well for her.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just buy her a beautiful p229 Stainless. Then, put a short trigger on it so it will fit her small hands better and install a lighter hammer spring so the DA pull will be lightened up a little.
Hopefully, she'll later decide that it's too heavy for her and you can add it to 'your' collection after you find her another new gun. :-)

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brands to recommend:

Striker Fired:
Glock G17 or G19
S&W M&P 9 or M&P 9C
Springfield Armory XDM 9
SIG 320

Hammer Fired:
SIG 229 (heavy), 239
HK P30L or P30

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple with one trigger style. P320, VP9, M&P9, Glock 19, XD9.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let her try a bunch of different pistols and see what she likes. I agree many new shooters do not like the long DA pull of a Sig or Beretta on the first shot.

My wife likes the Glock 19:

low recoil
easy to rack the slide
reliable
no 'extra' external controls
manageable size
same trigger pull each shot

Its not fancy but it works. YMMV.

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steer her towards something SHE LIKES, but not too small in frame size...too, I'd recommend a .22 if she's new to shooting. Grip size is important...gotta fit her hands.

My wife and DIL have good sized hands, and are in good shape, but initially objected to weight in the gun. That took some convincing... they could handle a heavier gun, one that makes recoil more manageable.

My wife and DIL handle a Glock well, also a pair of Smith J-frame 637 Airweights, but my son and I brought them along with a cpl .22's at first, then advanced to mild .38 Spl's. And a cpl of years later, I took my wife out to Front Sight's 4-day Defensive Handgun Course where she did extremely well. Good training by guys who do it for a living (all the FS instructors have LEO backrounds). Training like that will make her capable, confident, and best of all, give you a new shooting buddy for life!

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig 229/m11 with Sig action job

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had some extra time on the babysitter today so we swung by the local range to try some more stuff.

Rented the CZ P01 and HK VP9 on the recommendation of yall.

WOW!! That CZ is a SWEET shooter. I shot accurate with it immediately. I was a big fan. The wife did not feel as strongly as I did and gave it a solid, meh.

The VP9 was my second time shooting it and it still didn't trip my trigger. The wife HATED it with a passion. The size, the grip, the mag release, she didn't like any of it.

We both have off tomorrow and will be going to a proper range and she'll be able to get some real trigger time behind my P226 .22 and the P229 .40

The search continues

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A P226 SAO.

+1 on the 226 SAO.

My wife is a new shooter so I took her out to Front Sight outside of Las Vegas where we just completed a 4 day defensive handgun class; she used a Sig 226 Legion SAO and loved it and has now claimed it as "her" pistol. She loved the trigger and the nice balance of enough weight to absorb recoil without the pistol being too heavy for her too manage. She also liked the idea that there is a "safety".

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were off today and we hit up the local Green Top before heading to the range.

First time in Green Top and I have to say, I was SUPER impressed. The salespeople were very nice, they had a HUGE selection and the guy laid out several pistols in a row for her to compare and handle.

Handled the P320 again, PPQ, P30sk, lots of stuff.

She fell almost instantly in love with....

A Springfield XD9 Mod 2. That's right, she wanted to ride in to the GRIP ZONE!

We went to the range and they had one to rent and she still loved it. Went back to Green Top and an impressively short background check and we were one our way with a brand new one with a 4in barrel and bi-tone finish.

In all seriousness, as much as I HATE the 'grip-zone' branding, I forgot how comfortable and easy to shoot the XDs are. Made me miss my XD45 a little.

Thank you Sigforum for all of your suggestions. I think we really did our due diligence here.

TL;DR Wife handled a XD9 Mod2, went to the range, rented it and then bought it.

posted Hide Post
Obligatory pic of course:

posted Hide Post
Well done, sir. Well done. Cool

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
What class are you taking together, soon? Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I was just out shooting with a buddy last week. He brought his Springfield Armory XD9. I got to shoot it and it was a fine shooting pistol. He asked me why I don't have any SA XD pistols. I explained that I never warmed up to the grip safety...that it is a redundant feature as long as you obey the basic firearm safety rules. In the very next magazine, he experienced a failure to fire because his grip was off on the pistol. I swear on a stack of bible...I did not say I told you so.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
I was just out shooting with a buddy last week. He brought his Springfield Armory XD9. I got to shoot it and it was a fine shooting pistol. He asked me why I don't have any SA XD pistols. I explained that I never warmed up to the grip safety...that it is a redundant feature as long as you obey the basic firearm safety rules. In the very next magazine, he experienced a failure to fire because his grip was off on the pistol. I swear on a stack of bible...I did not say I told you so.

Strange. I had an XD45 and never had the issue. I couldn't imagine a way to grip the gun to shoot it and not engage the grip safety. Never bothered me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
What class are you taking together, soon? Wink

Bruce

She likes going to the local Girl with a Gun group. I'm a decent shot but I can't teach her so I let them handle it. They've done good so far.