SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4) Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I personally hate them but as has been said HK USP/P2000/P30 in a LEM model. Maybe find a DAK SIG??

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, hopefully I can find a p30 with a LEM and a Sig with a DAK for her to try and the CZ.

She really wants to stay in the Sig family.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I would agree on the P226 SAO Legion or maybe if she would go .45 a P220 Carry SAO.

My bride has the P2000 LEM as did I. She loved the smooth, easy pull in the gun store (as did I again) but it's a long pull and that made it hard to be accurate with.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
HK P30/P30SK/P2000 LEM. In striker fired VP9 and Walther PPQ and I would be really surprised if she does not really like at least one of them.

NOTE: If you try out LEM HK in the store dry firing be sure to rack the slide first or you will experience 12LB DA that is for second strike capability. Lots of gun store clerks do not understand this.

In my experience CZs have worse DA than SIGs even at half cock. As far as those recommending SA only is she ready to jump right onto cocked and locked?

SP2022 has a pretty decent DA out of the box but my guess is it will still be something she may not like as it takes desire and commitment to want to learn DA.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Sig Nightmare 1911.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
She really wants to stay in the Sig family.

You can safely reduce the DA trigger pull by installing a lighter mainspring. A professional trigger job would improve it even more. There are options if she is stuck on SIG.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start her with a full size pistol, not a compact or subcompact. When she learns to shoot it well, she might want something smaller, but she should learn on something larger and more recoil resistant than a very small, very light gun. The small, light ones are the hardest to shoot well

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
P229 Legion SAO

Ah...

I was going to suggest SAO and how I wish there was a P229 SAO, but unfortunately, no. My wife has the P226 SAO Legion and loves it. She has had joint replacement of her right thumb and just doesn't have the hand strength to deal with the Sig DA/SA. Even after a Robert Burke action job. There are a number of good 1911s in 9mm, if that's her comfort zone. Of course going the 1911 route can get expensive, but not so much more than a P226 SAO Legion.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I have a 5" xd tactical that shoots so nice and holds 18. It is my nightstand gun. I think a home gun should benefit from the longest barrel available.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This gun is strictly for HD.

The reason she gravitates towards smaller guns is because she has smaller hands. She has a very hard time reaching the trigger on my P220.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is a range-only gun, why not the P226 Legion SAO as others have suggested?

Scratch that, I see you have specified HD. I can only speak for myself, but I am just as comfortable with the 'cocked and locked' 1911.

I probably didn't get a typical first handgun for a woman as I had my heart set on a 1911. My husband bought me a Kimber Eclipse Custom II.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Walther P99. Now that I think about it, that might be perfect.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
What about a 9mm 1911?

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P226 Legion SAO. That's the latest thing my wife picked up, and she LOVES it.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
228? Maybe 228 DAK
225?

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she likes a SAO if she doesn't like a DA trigger, Also can go with a LEM or DAK pistol which limits the options somewhat. Whatever fits her, has natural pointability for her, is reliable, has a trigger she likes, and she shoots will get her to the right gun for her. Having her try different guns as you are doing is the way to go. Many have offered suggestions, Haven't seen the PPQ mentioned that's another for her to try.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife doesn't like the DA on my P226R, but doesn't have a problem with the P229 Legion. The Legion trigger or an action job may do the trick for the P229.

Her favorite SIG is a P229 Sport in .357 SIG. Best DA trigger of any of my SIGs.

It's all a question of hand geometry and strength.

Outside of the P229 Sport, she has gone to the Dark Side -- Glock 19, 26 and 42.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Walther P99. Now that I think about it, that might be perfect.

P99 is nice. Have her try out a Walther PPQ, one of the best trigger pulls I've ever felt. The only negative I've heard from anybody is the grip. I like the grip so that's all personal preference, but as far as functioning and trigger pull I've never heard a bad comment.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
P229 Legion SAO

Ah...

I was going to suggest SAO and how I wish there was a P229 SAO, but unfortunately, no. My wife has the P226 SAO Legion and loves it. She has had joint replacement of her right thumb and just doesn't have the hand strength to deal with the Sig DA/SA. Even after a Robert Burke action job. There are a number of good 1911s in 9mm, if that's her comfort zone. Of course going the 1911 route can get expensive, but not so much more than a P226 SAO Legion.

Helping SIG decide the next market move.

His wife likes the P229, and hates the D/A, so this is a "must have".

Maybe SIG is listening...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sig Pro, shit it once and my wife shot it the next outing and now refers to it as her gun. I guess it's a perfect gun for her. Try one on.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post