SIGforum
Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6670097224

April 16, 2017, 11:35 AM
Scurvy
Wife is getting into shooting, (Update, Pistol Bought pg. 4)
cliffs at the bottom.

Mrs. Scurvy went to a girl with a gun event a couple of weeks ago to go shooting for the first time. She has a total blast and we've since gone to a few stores to shop some options and went to the range to rent stuff for her to try.

Her first time she shot my p226 .22 which she liked fine and she shot her friend's Glock (17 or 19, don't remember) which she thought was ok.

Obviously, being a Sig family, I wanted her to try a P320 which she liked a lot after handling at the store.

Took her to the range yesterday to rent and this is where things got interesting.

We rented a p239, p320, p229 and a M&P (don't ask, I let her go rent the last one and she went off someone's suggestion).

The p239 was a little too small and wasn't comfortable for her to handle.

She liked the P320 just fine but she LOVED the p229. She shot it the best and liked the feel the best.

The problem is, she HATED the double action pull. Not really a problem for range time but this is going to be her home defense gun if I'm not home (the p220 is a little big for her).

There are still other guns I want her to try like the VP9.

So what would be a good compromise? Something that handles and feels like a p229 but does not have a double action pull.

TL;DR, wife loves the p229 but hates the double action pull. She likes the p320 just okay. What would you suggest she try?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scurvy,
April 16, 2017, 11:47 AM
GaryBF
Not a SIG, but try an HK with LEM trigger. A P30 would be closest to a P229 in size. The P2000 is about the size of a P239 but feels different.
April 16, 2017, 11:48 AM
Pipe Smoker
A P226 SAO.

Serious about crackers
April 16, 2017, 11:49 AM
Scurvy
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Not a SIG, but try an HK with LEM trigger. A P30 would be closest to a P229 in size. The P2000 is about the size of a P239 but feels different.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. IIRC, you don't have to let the LEM trigger all the way out, it has a shorter reset and keeps the hammer back unless you release the trigger, right?

The DAK you have to let out completely between every shot?
April 16, 2017, 11:50 AM
Pete K
I think the VP9 may be the one.
April 16, 2017, 11:53 AM
GaryBF
quote:
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. IIRC, you don't have to let the LEM trigger all the way out, it has a shorter reset and keeps the hammer back unless you release the trigger, right?

The DAK you have to let out completely between every shot?

I think you have them reversed. DAK has two reset positions.
April 16, 2017, 11:54 AM
elde
I'm with Gary on this as, after numerous trips to the range (shooting both rentals & my stuff), my wife bought a P2000 V1 and liked it so much she then purchased a P30 V1. I've created a monster it appears.

EDIT: On our LEMs, after the first shot (not releasing the trigger) the trigger resets half way back - does not travel "all the way out". I know this because I just pulled one out of the safe and tried it.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
April 16, 2017, 11:58 AM
BBMW
P229 DAK

Also have her try a CZ P07 (or really a P01 also.) Have her shoot it from the decocker. The CZ trigger is a little different from the SIG. When the SIG decocks, it goes to fully relaxed mode. Pulling the trigger as to run through the full DA range. When the CZ decocks, it goes to a half cocked position, and the DA seems a bit lighter. If the hammer drops and the gun doesn't fire, only then do you need to do a full DA trigger stroke, which is pretty stiff (a la SIG DA.)
April 16, 2017, 12:04 PM
blueye
My wife is a DAK fan also.
April 16, 2017, 12:17 PM
XLT
not a sig but I would take a serious look at a glock 43, they are really nice.
April 16, 2017, 12:47 PM
Scurvy
The P250 has to be let completely out to reset it, right?

It's been several years since I've shot a p250, DAK or LEM.
April 16, 2017, 12:49 PM
454gun
Pm 9 Kahr
April 16, 2017, 12:55 PM
Fredward
Steel framed 3 inch .38.
April 16, 2017, 12:57 PM
Scurvy
Not sure how a Kahr or a revolver fit the situation...
April 16, 2017, 01:03 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

Nailed it on the first reply.

I'd also think about letting her do some dry fire with your 229, she may find that after some repetition that the trigger pull is not as much effort as she first thought.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
April 16, 2017, 01:07 PM
RNshooter
USP Compact with Light LEM.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
April 16, 2017, 01:08 PM
sigmonkey
P229 Legion SAO

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
April 16, 2017, 01:25 PM
Scurvy
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
P229 Legion SAO

Is this real? I've seen the p226 Legion SAO and heard the p229 Legion SAO may be coming but I hadn't seen on anywhere online.
April 16, 2017, 01:40 PM
dry-fly
Don't forget that the HK VP9 sub compact is about to come out.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
April 16, 2017, 01:57 PM
taco68
Shield!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)