SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Classic Carry - TALO Exclusive
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Classic Carry - TALO Exclusive Login/Join 
posted
Now that I have scratched the P226 itch I find myself considering my next firearms purchase (the planning and anticipation is half the fun for me) and my eyes are turning towards another P229 to add to my M11-A1 and railed P229-1 while I wait for B&T to release the GHM9.

While searching for a reasonable price P226 I learned that TALO had introduced the Classic Carry series in both P226 & P229. I find myself somewhat conflicted about the 229 because of the step side slide which goes back to 2004 when a lady friend showed me her 229 in .357 Sig. At the time I didn't care for the look of the slide even though I otherwise liked the pistol. This is the reason I delayed a purchase of a Sig until the 229 began to ship with the classic (legacy?) slide.

But now my tastes have changed enough that I don't mind the look as much.

However, all of the listings I have seen for the Classic Carry indicate it ships with 13 round magazines. Has anyone purchased or handled a P229 Classic Carry and can they confirm whether it ships with the 13 or 15 round magazines? Because I would rather have magazines that are compatible between all three models and if the Classic Carry is a pre -1 series frame it might be a deal breaker for me.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Three 13 rounders. Pre-dash mags, sourced from Mec-Gar (at least that's what came in our example).

One of these came into the shop the other day, and for the first time in a LONG while I'm tempted to buy a SIG pistol that doesn't have 'MPX' stamped on its flanks. It's like the Titanium Blue P229 that was discussed on the forum about a month ago in that SIG uses an Elite slide for the build. However for the TALO CC, the slide has a Legacy extractor and the frame is sized with the original narrow 9mm magazine well, like you would find on a pre-dash P229 or original P228. And no equipment rail to boot; very old school vibe. G10 grips, SIGLite tritium (meh for me, since I'm not a 3-dot guy these days), a DLC-like slide finish (it's definitely NOT Nitron)...those round out the changes/highlights.

Only negatives: no SRT, short reach trigger (though curiously I experienced no trigger slap or pinch during dry fire), and that GAWD FUGLY circular SIG logo on the TOP OF THE SLIDE, like on the M11-A1.

Even with that eyesore of a logo, I'm still feeling the 'want' for this one. Curious that the birth date of this gun is Jan '17, and we're just getting the gun now...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. Part of me is pretty tempted by this pistol but I really wish it had a "-1" frame to match my other two. I will probably end up picking one up eventually because I have a weakness for pistols made by either Sig or Beretta and the price isn't bad.

I've found it pretty strange that there is so little information out there regarding this pistol but perhaps there aren't a great many in circulation.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. I figure I may as well add a couple of pics while I'm at it.

The S/N was edited out in case anyone's wondering, for the privacy of its future owner, whether me or one of our customers. And no, I did NOT take a pic of that fugly SIG logo on the top of the slide. I didn't want to chance breaking the lens on my smartphone camera...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Every time I get to thinking "I don't really need a P229," then see a picture of a P229 it becomes "ME WANT!"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pistol but a hard pass for me. I couldn't stand those half height cocking serrations. The controls seemed like they were in the way and they felt much more rounded and slippery on the P229 I owned than on my P226. I was extremely happy with SIG's choice to go to full height cocking serrations on the -1 models, though not as overjoyed with the long extractor.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Full height cocking serrations, short extractor, name it the P228, and order will be restored in the universe. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
You're welcome. I figure I may as well add a couple of pics while I'm at it.

The S/N was edited out in case anyone's wondering, for the privacy of its future owner, whether me or one of our customers. And no, I did NOT take a pic of that fugly SIG logo on the top of the slide. I didn't want to chance breaking the lens on my smartphone camera...

Looks nice

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty slick. I would want to replace the short reach trigger with a standard trigger and add an SRT kit. All in all, I wouldn't mind adding one to my stable.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
That looks pretty slick. I would want to replace the short reach trigger with a standard trigger and add an SRT kit. All in all, I wouldn't mind adding one to my stable.

It already has the SRT (Short Reset Trigger) system.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only negatives: no SRT

Are you sure? The Lipseys catalog, Buds, and Tombstone tactical say it has the SRT.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your talking about the stainless/alloy one with wood grips mine came with 15rd mags.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It's not quite classic with those front cocking serrations, but I love that they're making rail-less guns again. Yes I know about the melt jobs. I hate 'em!

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
I got one of these 2 weeks ago. I'm really happy with it so far. Ironically, one of the selling points for me was the fact that it uses the pre -1 magazines. As far as whether or not it has a SRT? If it does, I can't tell. None of my SIG's have the SRT, and this one doesn't feel any differently to me. My only negative, the short reach trigger, but I'm getting used to that.

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
quote:

Are you sure? The Lipseys catalog, Buds, and Tombstone tactical say it has the SRT.

Pretty certain, at least with the example of one that we've got. The one we have has a reset that's as long as my old P229R, Mk25, KE P228 or my P229 40S&W from 1994. Definitely NOT an Elite series trigger, even though the slide says 'Elite'.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Full height cocking serrations, short extractor, name it the P228, and order will be restored in the universe. Big Grin

You forgot the folded slide. No unbalanced P228 allowed. Razz

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

You forgot the folded slide. No unbalanced P228 allowed. Razz

Nope, didn't forget. They did the same thing with the P226 and still called it the P226. Wink

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty certain, at least with the example of one that we've got. The one we have has a reset that's as long as my old P229R, Mk25, KE P228 or my P229 40S&W from 1994. Definitely NOT an Elite series trigger, even though the slide says 'Elite'.

Did you actually inspect the part itself (for the SRT sear tab)?

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you actually inspect the part itself (for the SRT sear tab)?

Nope, but then again I wasn't expecting the SRT sear to be in the gun based on the long reset. I'll check it tomorrow when I get to work. If there IS an SRT sear in place, I would then have to say that it immediately qualifies as the worst, non-functioning SRT that I've ever experienced.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post