SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .357 mag revolver owners, a question re: 10mm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 mag revolver owners, a question re: 10mm Login/Join 
posted
Do you have a reason to get a 10mm revolver?
do you need a reason? will you purchase one?
will you try one out prior to purchase?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless 610 6”. I bought it because I wanted one, as simple as that. It does shoot great. I’ve been very pleased with it. Some folks don’t like dealing with moon clips, but I have several revolvers cut for the clips. The moons are faster to load and unload in a revolver than speed loaders!

If you want one, go for it!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
No.
No.
Possibly, Ruger has me intrigued.
I would like to, if given the opportunity.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10mm gets a lot of love here. I don’t really get it, so no.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.
No.
Maybe.
Yes.
I like revolvers for certain things. I'm pretty sure if I bought a ten millimeter it would be in semi-auto, but one never knows what might come up.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, I have two 41 Magnums along with a few 357 magnums just don't see a need for a 10mm.
I can see the 10mm in Autos but in revolvers
the 41 Mag will do every thing a 10mm will do and more. Especially if you throw in some 220 - 265 grain cast bullets in the 41.

quote:
will you purchase one?
Nope.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10mm gurus. I have always read the 10mm is similar to the 41 magnum. Is it significantly more potent than hot 357? I know the 41 magnum in heavy loadings is more but I guess my question is how much difference are we talking between a std 357 magnum and a typical 10mm loading? I understand that you can load 10's all the way down to 40 level and perhaps lower but how about a standard off the shelf 10mm vs off the shelf 357 load?

Sell me on it I guess. I don't need much encouragement to try out new guns.lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

No
No
No
No

I own one, a convertible and never use the 10mm cylinder. I think I fired 50 rounds when I first got it almost 20 years ago. None since then. The other cylinder is .38-40 that I can load 180gr bullets from 900 to 1500+fps, so the 10mm does nothing for me.

Maybe if you owned 10mm autos and loaded lots of 10mm ammo, a revolver would make sense. But not for me.

Having owned 5 revolvers in rimless auto cartridges (.30 carbine, 10mm, 45Acp & 50AE) there's not enough up side to outweigh the many down sides. Moon clips are fragile and a pain and other than speed reloads in competition and their price, they're inferior to speed loaders and a rimmed case. (and I'm not just biased against with no experience, I shot a moon clipped revolver in USPSA for many years and loved it and have a "carry" gun that uses them)

For most uses, I'd rather have a 357. But I am underwhelmed by the 10mm in general. I'm contemplating buying another auto for one last try to win me over. Wink

Saying the 10mm is just like the 41 Mag is like saying if you ONLY do what I do, then you and I are exactly the same. If you only look at the things that are similar and ignore the rest, then yeah, things are similar. Big Grin

But the best thing about all this is you are free to get what you like and like what you like, you don't need any reason or justification at all. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
no
no
no
no

I have a pair of G20s, and a couple .44 mags. I can't think of any reason to get more of either.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Ruger 10mm Buckeye. I like it a lot and it's very accurate in 10mm and .38 40.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 625 and had a 610 (10 mm). I couldn't really rationalize keeping both, but DO miss the 10mm.

One of the tings I liked about the 610 was that you could just as easily shoot .40 S&W in it.

I kept the 625 because it was available in the "Mountain Gun" format and I just like .45.

DSCN0669 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

DSCN0668 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've had two of the S&W 610s with 5" barrels, and one Ruger 38-40/10MM convertible with 6.5" barrel. Didn't care that much for the Ruger, but really wish I'd hung onto at least one of the 610s. I have 357 revolvers, but may buy another 10MM revolver. Of course I admit I've been a fan of the 10MM since the days of the Bren Ten. I like the .45 and 9MM revolvers too. I've had .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull,etc. revolvers,and understand that those cartridges exceed 10MM ballistics. Don't care, still like the 10. Don't need any reasons, and long ago gave up trying to rationalize or justify my firearms purchases.....ymmv

My experience with the 38-40/10MM convertible was just the opposite of cas. I never fired a round through the 38-40 cylinder.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

no
no
not another
no

Had 3-9/16" 610 for a decade before using 10mm much.
It really IS more satisfying on bowling pins than 40s.

I'm not a 357 mag fan.
10 doesn't do much for me either, but after 2 years with the 220-10 it's growing on me.

I prefer 41 mag by far, although I'm finally finding 10mm recipes that please me.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking with the .357. One reason is that in the last 35yrs or so I've always had a python around to shoot, and second probably the best feature of .357 is having the ability to shoot 38+ powered rounds all day. I really enjoy the .357 mag round and load all mine but for everyday shooting at the range 38+ work just fine for practice and accuracy.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 10 mm revolver is not in my future

Everything I do with my revolvers I can accommodate with my 38/357 or .45

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No interest for me. I've got revolvers in .357, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum. I have plenty of brass and bullets for them, and there's nothing a 10mm can do that's worth expanding my logistics.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No to all your questions, Bendable. I've got a 4" Python, a 4 5/8" New Vaquero, both in .357, and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Lately I've had a hankering for a 686, just to have a Smith again. If I wanted a 10mm, it would be in a Glock 20. If I owned a number of 10mm handguns, it might be worth it to be to try, just for the novelty of it. But as for what a 10mm would bring to the table over anything I currently own, I'm just not seeing it.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
No.

Generally, yes.

No.

If given the opportunity, I'd try one.

I've got enough 'mouths' to feed and I'm not much of a revolver guy. My PC Model 19 more than adequately checks the block for me in the revolver department.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
There’s no reason for me to replace my .357 magnum with a 10mm revolver, because the latter caliber is handled for me just fine with my Glock 20SF. If I decide to purchase another revolver, it won’t be 10mm, but more likely .44 magnum or .327 Federal.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another with a S&W model 610. In my case I purchased it at a time when 40 S&W was easy to find, quite cheap in comparison to 357 Magnum, and wanted to have a revolver that would shoot the 40 so I could get in DA trigger time on the cheap. Also have several 357 Magnums and now that I am reloading they see lots of use, because the 357 is rather cheap to reload, perhaps as cheap as the 40 S&W. As for shooting 10mm, 10mm brass is somewhat expensive and if you load the 40 with Longshot the end result can approach the energy of a hot 10mm so no real hurry for me on the 10mm.

BTW, most of the range grade 10mm I've seen is rated at 1050 fps out of a 4 inch barrel with a 180mm bullet, exactly the same ballistics of the Winchester Ranger-T in 40 S&W with a 180 grain bullet. Those wanting a real 10mm need to look for something like the Federal Trophy Bonded and that particular load is NOT cheap.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post