SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you guys ever buy guns that you know you shouldn't?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you guys ever buy guns that you know you shouldn't? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Of course not! I never look at deals at the LGS, pawn store or browse Gunbroker. I have never asked someone if their gun is for sale. I have never looked at the Classified section of Sig Forum either. I have always been upfront with family members on my purchases and disclosed the full cost of any firearm. I have superior impulse control.

Wow dude, you are better at this than I am. I really didn't need that 45-70 revolver that holds 12 rounds... or the 1911 in a .17 caliber... or the .22 Magnum carbine...

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEVER! However, I have bought guns that I should have and found out later I shouldn't have.

I've had a Colt LW Cmdr since the 1980's. Yearned for a steel frame Combat Cmdr for about 15 years. Found a new one and bought it. Could never get it to run reliably. Dumped it.

Never underestimate the power of bad luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I just did. A Star BM. Have no idea what I am going to do with it.

Well Mr Yooper, you have an El Diablo, nice Spanish 9 mm.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had drawn the line on firearm purchases for the year. My friendly FFL holder at home has a pile in the safe waiting for me...but i stupidly visited Palmetto's site this evening and ordered a Taurus 85 I don't need. Earlier this year I got a Shield 9mm from them...both too good a price to pass up. Come October I wont be posting, because there's no wifi in the dog house.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have but not lately. I'm trying to control the impulsive side. See how this goes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just impulse bought a Sig P290.. I have always been interested in this tiny pistol and when I came across a used extreme for a great deal I bought it.

I will make it to the range in the next week or so, I hope that my impulse buy was a good one.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I really try to stick to well recommended ones. Sometimes the flesh is weak, others really weak. Just Wednesday I walked into a Field and Stream just to kill time (I'm retired). There in the display case was a Shockwave. So into the safe goes the Winchester M21. Now my first line of defense is a gun I don't care about. Yeah, I bought the 21 on an impulse too. And I don't care.

So some common sense rules. Don't buy guns you can't get your money back out of. Don't buy off brand junk. Don't make stupid comments about never making an impulse buy again. Don't buy a gun with plastic, use cash. Its less traceable if you leave paperwork lying about. Don't be overly open about your buys. Wives lack a sense of humor.

Then consider: You buy guns and can usually recover the value next week or 10 years from now. Your wife buys frilly shit and the instant she makes the purchase, its an expense. Ever tried to sell used curtains or towels or shoes?

If anyone is so rude as to ask, your guns are an investment. Stick to that story.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I bought a SCCY 9mm pretty much on a whim, mainly because it was made in the town I grew up in (Daytona Beach, FL). That, and I wanted to evaluate it as a possible solution for one of my wife's friends who is thinking about a gun for self-defense, but doesn't want to spend a lot. It actually turned out to be a decent little shooter. I would probably receommend the Ruger LC9S instead, though. My daughter has one and it's a great little gun. And not much more than the SCCY...

Oh, also, I bought a Ruger SP-101 .327 Mag that I really didn't NEED, but just wanted because I missed it the first time around. So when I saw one in the LGS when they re-released it, I had to have it. Still not sure why I wanted it so badly. At least it will last forever like my other Ruger wheelguns, so I can ponder my motivation for years to come... Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Never. I'm un-fun and everything is severely calculated and premeditated.

Fact

Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Don't be overly open about your buys. Wives lack a sense of humor.

True story......

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I have stated in another thread I am packing the house up and heading to NC.

I read this thread yesterday and I thought yeah I have done the impulse thing.

Well this morning going through the safe and closet I discovered a few more impulses I forgot all about going back to 1998 when I was still in Ohio such as a Glock 21C, Sig P220 compact, Glock 23 Gen 2 etc..

The last year or so I have been really good and passed on some great deals, the last one was a Sig 938 which I sold. I think it is time to sell someI will never shoot.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I was saving up for a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA Production this year but then I saw this in the display case and my brain went full potato.

First off even if it was an impulse buy, it was a solid purchase.

Second, I've shot a number of USPSA matches with mine. Plus it's fun to be one of the three people not shooting a tricked out 2011 or Glock.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Against my better judgement, I bought a Versa Thunder Pro XT 9 because it was <$700 and came with a lot of nice features for USPSA competitions, like fiber sight, smooth trigger, and five freaking magazines.

I learned my lesson on my first trip to the range because the barrel crown was chipped and it would not group at all. I sent it in for warranty repair three months ago and still haven't seen it again.

In hind sight I wish I had spent my money on a known quality product like another CZ Shadow.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Rarely.

I impulse bought a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that I really didn't need.

I spend far more money on ammo than on guns. And most of that ammo goes through only three guns.

It's been a long time since I just took a bunch of different stuff to the range just for hoots. I've actually been selling off a few guns that I haven't shot in a long time.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, I do have this 1936 Model 70 in .25 Gibbs.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
I just impulse bought a Sig P290.. I have always been interested in this tiny pistol and when I came across a used extreme for a great deal I bought it.

I will make it to the range in the next week or so, I hope that my impulse buy was a good one.

I recently bought the same thing on a great deal and I love it! If it doesn't work out for you let me know....

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the prices you find them at, it would be wrong not to buy

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I was saving up for a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA Production this year but then I saw this in the display case and my brain went full potato.

First off even if it was an impulse buy, it was a solid purchase.

Second, I've shot a number of USPSA matches with mine. Plus it's fun to be one of the three people not shooting a tricked out 2011 or Glock.

I had some buyers remorse until I shot it. Now it's my precious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Buying known or widely assumed "crap" because of a dirt cheap price...yeah, I've done it once or twice over my lifetime. And not just with guns. The non-guns typically end up hurting more.

Buying a gun on impulse when I know I shouldn't for reasons other than presumed quality or the lack thereof...I've done that too. Usually I haven't regretted it, though there have been a few times that I had to scramble to make the finances (most frequent reason not to have bought) work out in the end.

Then there are the gun purchases that I "know" that I shouldn't buy because in the past I didn't like how they shot for me but dayum, that price was way too sweet to pass up on. Most of the time I can temper the urge, like the time Cabela's was blowing out Steyr M9-A1s at $329 or thereabouts, mainly because I didn't like how my hand fit the frame curve underneath the tang but also due to how badly unreliable a coworker's M9 was for him.

Then there are times like earlier this year when I picked up a stainless SIG P232 even though I previously disliked its sibling's (P230) harsh-for-a-380 recoil pulse. The price being asked made it impossible to pass on. And after shooting it now a handful of times I've gotten somewhat used and tolerant to its sharp recoil. If nothing else it makes me appreciate my 238 all the more. But had the P232 been a blued gun I'm fairly certain that I never would've given it a second look, let alone bought it. As often as I say that I prefer black pistols, sometimes I can be a soft-like-jelly sap when the right kind of stainless seductively winks at me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post