SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I want a Hi Power...I think
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Hi Power...I think Login/Join 
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted
I have an itchin' for a Browning Hi Power in 9mm.
I think I want a standard with the high polish blue, but I keep seeing the coated version for a much better price.
What does it cost to have a trigger job done CORRECTLY?
They don't seem to exist in my area of the country, so I haven't shot one.
Why don't you all give me some of your opinions?
Looking for something to shoot, not carry.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You correctly perform a trigger job by removing the magazine safety. If I wanted a 13 pound trigger pull, I'd have just bought a double-action only gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If its strictly a range gun:
Enamel finish late production model with the extended safety.
Replace factory sights with sights of your choice.
Remove mag safety.
Possibly opt for Spegel type thin grip.
Shoot it. A lot.
If you go for any other type of custom work, try Cylinder and Slide. Excellent work at good prices and they know the BHP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have in the past shot a number of them. Hands down ( pun intended) best feeling grip on any pistol. Problem for me is I am sort of addicted to the crisp audible and tactile reset of triggers like the glock and 1911. The fact the browning lacks this and you essentially have to come completely off the trigger to get reset is a deal breaker for me

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
...and one of two reasons I let mine go over 35 years back. It's like they took the John M Browning goodness of the Colt 1911 and ran it through a J C Whitney Catalog.

Still, I regret selling it. A Bar-Sto barrel would have eliminated the hollow-point feeding issue they all had, and it was enjoyable to shoot at the range despite the bad trigger.

Not only that, but like most of us, I have some "interesting" guns, BP replica of the 1860 Army and a Peacemaker, a couple antiques as well, and used to shoot all of them.

If I ran across a good BHP again, I'd take it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
What it will cost is what the local gunsmith will charge you. If you have a gunsmith in mind, you can probably call them up and get a fairly accurate estimate.

The one warning I can offer may or may not apply to you - if you get hammer bit (or grip safety bit) when you shoot a 1911 with a non-beavertail grip safety, you will most definitely get bit the same way by the Hi Power. Novak's offers a hammer/sear combo that pretty much solved the problem for me.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Mine is an AIM Israeli police trade in epoxy finish. Trigger was about 7.5 lbs before I removed the disconnect and about 6.5 lbs. now. Shoots very well. Mine came with the short thumb safety which was worthless. I installed the extended factory ones which are much better. Mec Gar 15 round mags have been flawless.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a NIB BHP, you best find one and purchase it. There will be NO more new FN/Browning HP produced.....yes, that is the truth. FN has shut down all production of their HPs....and of course, Browning makes nothing, just a retailer. The FN equipment is worn out, and they have chosen to not purchase new machinery to produce an all steel gun that is pricey and a slow seller compared to plastic handguns.

I purchased my first in the early 1970s, and have never been without at least one. Currently, I own a "few". There is a good supply of used HPs, but a limited number of NIB HPs.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Get one. I don't have a beef with the trigger pull, but the trigger return on mine is mushy, with the mag disconnect intact.
As posted a while ago on SF, if you take out the mag disc. then a more powerful spring needs to be installed.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
Well, I found a newer 2015 coated model with only a few hundred round through it.
I sure like how it feels.
Hope to shoot it this weekend.
No photos yet, photobucket is a waste of time.
Ordered a few extra Mecgar mags.
Any other essentials I might need?

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you do want a Hi Power.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:

There are several BHP forums out there, I'd join them. I think I looked at the BHP subsection of the 1911 forum a few years ago and liked what I saw, for what that's worth.

The BHP is a pretty rugged and reliable pistol, its reputation is well-earned. I wouldn't bother with any other accessories or modifications until you've put a few hundred rounds down-range. The mag disconnecter's got to go, though!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I may be a striker guy first and foremost but even I own one. Used T-series from 1968. Also a FEG clone. Both are great shooters. I will admit that I harbor little interest in a NIB, recent build example. Like a Remington 700, the idea of sending it off to have the trigger made right doesn't hold much appeal to me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For everything you'll ever want/need to know regarding Hi-powers, here's a link to Stephen Camp's Hi-power website:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com

Enjoy!

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
Well, I found a newer 2015 coated model with only a few hundred round through it.
I sure like how it feels.
Hope to shoot it this weekend.
No photos yet, photobucket is a waste of time.
Ordered a few extra Mecgar mags.

Just a quality holster or two.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Should you pick one up and want some work done, I'd recommend Don Williams at The Action Works.

I just got this one back yesterday. Don fitted a .40 S&W to 9mm conversion barrel as well as performing a number of other mods.

The battery in the camera was dead and had to use the cell phone. The pics don't quite do it justice.

I'll be sending another HP-SA to him once my .30 Luger barrel is delivered.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like those sights!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
Should you pick one up and want some work done, I'd recommend Don Williams at The Action Works.

I just got this one back yesterday. Don fitted a .40 S&W to 9mm conversion barrel as well as performing a number of other mods.

The battery in the camera was dead and had to use the cell phone. The pics don't quite do it justice.

I'll be sending another HP-SA to him once my .30 Luger barrel is delivered.

Beautiful! What did that cost you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Disabled combat vet

"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
My Hi Power and my Delta Elite are the two guns I regret selling.

Especially since my Hi Power was $399 new from CDNN back in the day.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You most definitely want one. My favorite pistol.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post