SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith & Wesson 459
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson 459 Login/Join 
Picture of 4859
posted
For some reason I have been on a older S&W 9mm kick this year. I have wanted to get a 1st or 2nd Gen Auto for some time. I came upon this 459 for a heck of a deal and couldn't pass. I also have a weakness for 1980's hand guns used in LE and this model has some interesting history associated to it. Don't have it in my possession yet, but this is a early Christmas gift to my self.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean.
About a month ago came across a 659 marked Turlock PD.
Cost was $375.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I have a similar one but with the hooked trigger guard. I was able to snag one of the after market curved backstraps, and it makes the pistol much more comfortable IMHO.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I love the third gen Smith.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back, before I started buying Sig pistols, I bought several pre-owned 3rd Gen Smiths.

My first was a pristine 3914 LS, single-side safety/Decocker, which I couldn't bring myself to carry in a holster. So, I picked up the stainless 3913 LS equivalent, then a second one. Condition-wise, not as nice as the 3914, so don't mind getting those bumped around.

I also purchased a 4040 PD, which is the Scandium frame in .40 S&W. All of these are nice handling pistols. As much as I have felt the urge to sell them when I have purchased newer carry pieces, such as the P938, 9mm Shield, and most recently P365, I just can't justify doing so. They are fine examples of earlier days, very reliable.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
4506: sturdy, accurate, reliable, manly. 5906: the little brother with a fuzz mustache. 4006: punches above his weight. 6946: the Glock 19 before there was a Glock 19.

Yes, kablammo is a fan.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got on a S&W 3rd Gen kick a few years ago. I've sold a few recently but kept a some of my favorites: CS9D, 3906, 3953, 457D

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
They were heavy to carry on duty but they were reliable and accurate. You can't go wrong with one.

Here's my Brink's gun

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My EDC is a 669.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, I have a nickle version of that one. They shoot awesome. Just FYI that model was alleged to have a safety issue, if dropped with a round in the chamber and the safety on, it may fire anyway.

I almost like my 459 better than my 659.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Great pistols for which the 3rd gen guns were the culmination of engineering and refinement imaginable for the design. My 5906 will always have a spot in my safe.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

We carried the 5903's on the Highway Patrol for several years...Then when we went SIG 229 the Troopers had the opportunity to buy their pistols for the trade in amount, like $140 if I recall correctly. Still have mine. They were reliable and solid.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Sweet pistol! Smith was on their game with most of those 3rd Gens. They were from an era, they bring back many memories and are still very much relevant in todays carry world.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol! Congrats! Smile

I have been carrying 3rd gen guns for decades. And I still carry them. Today the 4566 is on my belt. More often it is a 457 or CS45.

Great pistols! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the old Smith carried a 3906 and a 469 as duty guns just before going Glock for the past 27 years. Nice catch...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have three. A 5904, a 6906 which was my issue the couple years I worked for the Sheriff, and a 4043 I bought for no good reason from a retired suburban copper. I love the 6906. I shoot it, but don't carry it.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a late production 5906.
Palm swell and straight grip.
Spare barrel and about 6 genuine mags.

Heavy Metal Thunder

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love some Smith Auto Magic!

4505:

And a 639 that is maybe a “bit” heavy as a carry gun, but great on the range as a shooter:

I really need to find a finish worn 39-2 and send it off to CCR for a refinish in their version of brushed nickel....

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few and love them all, that 459 in your photo looks like one that the FBI was had or was getting back then . I have a FBI 459 matt finish, with dull sheen on the grips . I never fired , The nice ones are hard to find now.BUY they keep going up .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I have a few and love them all, that 459 in your photo looks like one that the FBI was had or was getting back then . I have a FBI 459 matt finish, with dull sheen on the grips . I never fired , The nice ones are hard to find now.BUY they keep going up .

That is exactly why I jumped on it. I too have noticed that 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen guns are going up in price. The FBI had some of these in the mid to late 80's and one of Agents killed in the 1986 Miami Shoot Out had one. I still have a number of 3rd Gen guns including a 5903TSW and a 5943 with a good supply of mags.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post