SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Gun Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Gun Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
Looking for suggestions for a semiauto 9mm handgun. I am an experienced rifle and shotgun shooter. I’m looking for a range gun for informal target practice and would like to try shooting practical pistol. 25-50 yard accuracy is very important. Looking for something with a good trigger and if possible optic ready. I’ve shot Glocks and do not like it grip angle. I’m aware of the scarcity of firearms at this time and am not in a hurry to buy. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/store...x-rxp-full-size.html

The P320 RXP X-Full is an optic-equipped competition package. It comes with a factory tuned straight trigger.

Model # 320XF-9-BXR3-RXP

Looks like it's currently in stock here, but at about $200 over the going rate... https://www.themodernsportsman...xp-798681621347-2954

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Many shooters, myself included, prefer the CZ Shadow 2 for range practice and competition. It doesn't come from the factory with a RDS cut, however CZ Custom (which you can buy from with confidence) has this conversion - the full pistol of which is available for purchase:

https://czcustom.com/new-firea...-accu-optic-rds.html

The referenced pistol also includes the Accu conversion of the Shadow 2 which includes a barrel bushing, trigger action job and slightly better (depending on whom you ask) firing pin.

Not sure what your price range is but I can't recommend the CZ Shadow 2 enough. I purchased my base CZ S2 for ~ $900, which is good to go out of the box unless you truly desire optics.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I own or have owned and have certainly shot a firearm or three. Wink

That said and not knowing your budget I am going to say something mid tier like the CZ Shadow 2 (I believe there is an optics ready model now).

Now while not CHEAP the performance to price ratio is very good. My plebeian SP01 will shoot lights out at longer ranges and the Shadows are a whole ‘nother level.

Now that said I was keying in on your desire for 50 yard shooting and knowing that most CZ’s are fairly mechanically accurate and easy to shoot well.

There are a TON of options from around $500 up to will I need a co-signer, but the Shadows are a really nice sweet spot in my opinion.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store...x-rxp-full-size.html

The P320 RXP X-Full is an optic-equipped competition package. It comes with a factory tuned straight trigger.

Model # 320XF-9-BXR3-RXP

Looks like it's currently in stock here, but at about $200 over the going rate... https://www.themodernsportsman...xp-798681621347-2954

Rogue, when I saw this, I was going to suggest the 320X5 Legion. I have one and am very pleased with it. It does not come with the optical sight, but does have the heavier frame/grip.
I am wondering why you picked one over the other.
I ask because I always find your posts and reasoning interesting. Thanks, Ironworker.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Primarily because it's ready to go right out of the box, with optic and suppressor-height sights already, so I think it's a better option for someone just starting out like the OP. It's also cheaper, so if he decides that competition isn't for him, he hasn't sunk as much into it.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the CZ Shadow 2.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. How does the trigger on a sig 320 compare to the CZ Shadow? I shot a friend’s Shadow and thought the trigger was very good, however, the CZ is more than I want to spend at the present time. Thanks again, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the CZ as well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Other possible options to checkout are the HK VP9 and Walther Q5 Match. They both are ready for optics and most report the trigger are excellent. Only the latest HK VP9 are optics ready so if you see one without that is the original model. With the Walther Q5 it looks like you lose the rear sight if optic is mounted if that is a concern.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/vp9/

https://waltherarms.com/q5-match-m2/

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I always like new guns.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig P320 compact with the Romeo red dot and it is the most accurate handgun I own.... I suspect a full size one would be even more accurate. but since I am not a fan of these striker fired guns... I'll suggest the second most accurate handgun I own... Sig P226.

I've only heard good things about CZs but I would suggest to consider where your money goes but then if I took it to that extreme then I aught to be really suggesting a FHN (Made in Columbia S.C.)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of XDM 5.25s, with PRP triggers. Mine shoot very well. But, for your purpose, I’d buy a CZ Shadow 2.

I was planning on buying the SA version myself, but bought a model 66 instead

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Mainly, as revolvers just click for me, more. I Do not care for revolvers in autoloading calibers, though

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post