SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rediscovering and old friend - forgotten revolver and grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rediscovering and old friend - forgotten revolver and grips Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So, I've always wanted a Smith & Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. It's what I learned to shoot handguns with when the L-Frame was the latest and greatest. It's also what I competed with on the Sheriff's Department shooting team with their Explorer program.

Fast forward a lot of years and in a frenzy of, "I've never seen it and I have t have it!" Bidded on and won a 6" 686 Classic Hunter with the unfluted cylinder on Gun Broker. Received the gun and the barrel was not clocked correctly. Tried recourse and was never successful so it just kind of sat in the back of the gun safe for years.

Brought it up to Alaska with me since it was actually legal to transport across Canada and it just kind of sat again. Was down in Arizona last week packing stuff up and ran across a set of factory finger groove square butt combat grips. I'd forgotten that I had them much less where and when I got them. So brought them back up with me to Alaska on the return flight.

Just picked up the revolver from Wild West Guns today, they reclocked the barrel and recut the forcing cone. Got home and threw the grips on it. Not bad for a revolver and grips I had more or less forgotten about.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I have switched over to a GP100 now, but the older 686s still have a place in my heart.

Let us know how it shoots!

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old fave was a Ruger Security Six 4 inch with Herrett's Shooting Star grips.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun. I have a 6" model 19 that I love. 6" barrel and .357 is a very nice combo for shooting.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
So, I've always wanted a Smith & Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. It's what I learned to shoot handguns with when the L-Frame was the latest and greatest. It's also what I competed with on the Sheriff's Department shooting team with their Explorer program.

Fast forward a lot of years and in a frenzy of, "I've never seen it and I have t have it!" Bidded on and won a 6" 686 Classic Hunter with the unfluted cylinder on Gun Broker. Received the gun and the barrel was not clocked correctly. Tried recourse and was never successful so it just kind of sat in the back of the gun safe for years.

Brought it up to Alaska with me since it was actually legal to transport across Canada and it just kind of sat again. Was down in Arizona last week packing stuff up and ran across a set of factory finger groove square butt combat grips. I'd forgotten that I had them much less where and when I got them. So brought them back up with me to Alaska on the return flight.

Just picked up the revolver from Wild West Guns today, they reclocked the barrel and recut the forcing cone. Got home and threw the grips on it. Not bad for a revolver and grips I had more or less forgotten about.

Well now I am wondering how the timing got whacked and the forcing cone issues. Lots of rounds on it? kitchen table gunsmithing, steady diet of 38 special? Forcing cones can be cut to better shoot lead versus Jacketed, I have considered doing that on my 627 pro series, it gets a steady diet of hard cast.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice. I'm still kind of hung up on "bidded" though. ;-)

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:Well now I am wondering how the timing got whacked and the forcing cone issues.

OP never mentioned any problem with the timing. I think you mistook his comment about the barrel not being clocked properly - which just meant the barrel was skewed one way or the other. Front sight not exactly at 12 o'colck. As for the forcing cone - some gunsmiths do this routinely - usually change it to 11 degrees, or he was just cleaning up factory machine marks.

Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

It is nice when you get reacquainted with an old friend

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:Well now I am wondering how the timing got whacked and the forcing cone issues.

OP never mentioned any problem with the timing. I think you mistook his comment about the barrel not being clocked properly - which just meant the barrel was skewed one way or the other. Front sight not exactly at 12 o'colck. As for the forcing cone - some gunsmiths do this routinely - usually change it to 11 degrees, or he was just cleaning up factory machine marks.

Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

smith is somewhat famous for having some barrels just a tick off,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post