SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sight pusher vs. brass punch + vise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight pusher vs. brass punch + vise Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I bought a sight pusher expressly for a W. German 226 that I tried to use a hammer and brass punch on. I peened the brass punch and didn't even budge the sight. It wasn't easy with the pusher, when it finally moved it sounded like something broke. I swear Sig uses hydraulic presses.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sight tool for me. I've owned and used MGWs for a decade or so and swear by them. A dedicated one for Glocks (naturally, given my primary guns) and SIG P-series. About three years ago I added their Sight PRO for the universal role, picking up the various slide shoes as needed. Far better than the crappy POS B&J Machine universal tool I used previously. I also have multiple sets of punches including brass ones, and the requisite mallet, hammers and even a mini anvil for moving those factory pressed-on demons on Springfield XD/XDM slides, though I swear that it would be easier just to cut, drill, chisel and Tannerite their damn @!$^*$%^## sights out.

Sights are expensive. The guns that they mount to are expensive. Better to do the work with the right tool than to FUBAR things because a punch or hammer slipped.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a sight pro and so far I've used it to change sights on three of my guns but also used it to make a fine adjustment on one my sights on a gun that was shooting about 3" left @ 11 yds. Sight Pro did the trick.
Before I had the sight tool my local guy charged me $45 to install new sights which fell off my gun twice. I'm guessing he filed off too much material to make easier work for himself using hammer and punch. The Sight Pro had enough strength to push the new sights I had to buy without filing off any material.
The MGW Sight Pro was expensive, but shooting is my hobby and it's not a cheap hobby,so I treated myself to the best tool I could buy.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’ll cast another vote for the MGW sight pusher. I’ve changed several sights. Where it really came in handy was removing XS Big Dots that had been red-loctited in.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the MGW sight pusher specific for Sig P-series pistols and also the MGW Sight Pro Universal sight pusher. Both work equally well, however the universal model works with the wider P229 slides that come on the .40 and .357 Sig calibers that don't fit in the specific P-Series model. You have to be a little careful starting the front sights using the universal model as sometimes it has a tendency to raise the following edge of the sight, however if you tap the sight in a little with a nylon hammer to get it seated properly, it works just fine.

Posts: 35 | Location: Eastern N.C. | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After struggling for two hours with a punch and hammer and failing to budge the front sight on my P320, I picked up this Universal Sight Pusher and had the sight off and replaced in less than five minutes. I wish I had bought it a long time ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handg...a:g:vSQAAOSwNSxU5SEu

Posts: 12 | Location: Hilton Head, SC | Registered: January 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcoz:
After struggling for two hours with a punch and hammer and failing to budge the front sight on my P320, I picked up this Universal Sight Pusher and had the sight off and replaced in less than five minutes. I wish I had bought it a long time ago.

I recently bought the same pusher and used it to install night sights on my M&P40 and my XDM-9. Great tool. It made removal and installation of the tight sights on these pistols a breeze with zero marks on the slides. I will be using it for night sights on my new Kimber Custom II this weekend as well.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
I bought one of the cheap NcStar sight pushers. On some of my guns the brass punch just wouldn't cut it. For $45.00 I was thinking it wouldn't be the best. I was wrong. It works great!

Have you used it on Sigs?

Not yet. Some S&W's and my BHP. I have little to no doubt it will work on my Sig's.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
I bought one of the cheap NcStar sight pushers. On some of my guns the brass punch just wouldn't cut it. For $45.00 I was thinking it wouldn't be the best. I was wrong. It works great!

Have you used it on Sigs?

Not yet. Some S&W's and my BHP. I have little to no doubt it will work on my Sig's.

I was looking at one of these for the shop as a cheap universal; the owner didn't want to outlay the money for a Sight Pro or the Wheeler. The images posted to Amazon pretty much convinced me that it would be money wasted, especially considering some of the ham-fisted coworkers I have to deal with.

Not my pictures, but harvested from cautionary 1-star reviews on Amazon:

Not pretty, but then that's what I come to expect from cheap MIM and NC Star.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the same reviews on Amazon and they were the reason I was willing to pay $20 more for the one that I linked my previous post to. This is the description of the materials used..

“This tool is built from Billet 6061 aluminum made here is the USA.
The pusher block is built from 4140 "cromo" steel to meet the required strength.
All of the hardware is US made grade 8”

Posts: 12 | Location: Hilton Head, SC | Registered: January 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I was looking at one of these for the shop as a cheap universal ....

Thanks for that. Makes me feel better about my MGW Pro. I long ago realized that trying to do with cheap was just a path to frustration and I try to avoid that as much as possible. Assuming the MGW Range Master is made to the same quality standards, it looks like a good alternative to the Pro these days.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have one of these arbor presses and was thinking about trying this method. What do you think?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a MGW Sight Pro. Used it to change/swap out 6 sights. Trijicon HDs, Ameriglo, Dawson.

It was on sale for 279 from Brownells and I got it because the last time I had sights installed the specific pusher for a Sig bent the shit out of a set of HD's. My dealer got new ones and used a different pusher.

The MGW Sight Pro engages the sight extremely low and has tons of leverage.

It made those changes ridiculously easy.

Money well spent in my mind.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more fan of the MGW Sight Pro here. I tend to wait until I have more than one pistol to work on to bring that beast out, which is my only frustration with it. Swapping shoes and adjusting the height on the tool involves practically taking apart the entire tool. If I were a professional I would probably invest in a bunch of pistol-specific MGW tools, but I’m just a dope with too many projects.

First-world amateur armorer problems. Surely there’s a hashtag for that.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I bought a universal sight pusher off of amazon and it worked on my S&W Shield. I put on fiber optic sights and they were a little flimsy, so I had to go real slow as far as pushing the new front sight in. The rear sights were a lot easier.

I say get the pusher and give it a try.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigwheeler:
quote:

I recently bought the same pusher and used it to install night sights on my M&P40 and my XDM-9. Great tool. It made removal and installation of the tight sights on these pistols a breeze with zero marks on the slides. I will be using it for night sights on my new Kimber Custom II this weekend as well.

I know this thread's a year and a month old, but I'm wondering how that went?

The eBay reviews on the Gen. 4 version of that pusher are 100% positive. It's got a 4.6 star rating on Amazon, with 82% 5-star and another nine percent 4-star. It appears to be substantially fabricated. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one.

Tired of not being able to adjust my own sights.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Wheeler a couple months ago for $110 from Brownells.
I've used the crap out of it on several different sights on Sigs.
Trijicon HD's, XS big dots, TFO and regular ol Sig sights.
In a couple of days they will be pushing on a set of Speed Sights for my Select 9mm slide.

XS sights are glued in and it even removed those with no trouble.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
After using a lesser universal sight tool, I finally made the jump to the MGW Pro Sight Mover. I have dedicated rear MGWs for Glocks, but the MGW Pro is the only one that can easily tackle Beretta 92 front sights.

It takes a bit longer to setup, since you tweak it for each type of pistol, but it ensure no damage and perfect installation.

Bought it on Brownells, on sales you can get it for just over $200.

Not cheap, but if you stay in the game long enough the ability to install your own / adjust alignment is a no brainer.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

The eBay reviews on the Gen. 4 version of that pusher are 100% positive. It's got a 4.6 star rating on Amazon, with 82% 5-star and another nine percent 4-star. It appears to be substantially fabricated. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one.

I have one of those sight tools (from AMAZON). It works fine. There are six points of adjustment that need to be made to secure the slide. I sometimes wish I had three hands. I also added rubberized padding to the tool where the slide might touch.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

I have one of those sight tools (from AMAZON). It works fine. There are six points of adjustment that need to be made to secure the slide. I sometimes wish I had three hands. I also added rubberized padding to the tool where the slide might touch.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I think I'll poke around on Amazon for something appropriate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post