SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CMMG Banshee 9mm Pistol with Brace
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMMG Banshee 9mm Pistol with Brace Login/Join 
posted
For anyone with experience with the CMMG Banshee 9mm Pistol with Brace could you please answer the following:

1) Is the reliability good?

2) How does the recoil compare to the SIG MPX or HK SP5K, or the CZ Scorpion EVO S1 pistol?

I had the CZ Scorpion but sold it because I did not like the recoil from the 1.6 lbs. bolt slamming in the rear of the gun. Great pistol but simply not for me. I found the SIG MPX to be a soft shooter.

3) Is handling while shooting much different from the MPX or SP5K? In the store the Banshee seemed well balanced and easier to manipulate than the MPX. Not that the MPX is hard to handle but it just has more mass, maybe 1.5 lbs heavier and is balanced differently.

4) Does anyone have one in Northern VA in 9mm that would be willing to let me try? Ammo and targets on me. I do not want to make another mistake as I did with the CZ Scorpion. I bought one, spent money on mags, brace and other extras and than sold the pistol at a loss.

Thank you and happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, and just about every other pistol caliber 9mm "carbine" you could have. I've had no operational issues with the CMMG of any kind FWIW and I've been using it as my competition gun lately, so its had quite a few rounds. I use an AR all the time so it seems completely normal to me to run it. I don't notice any real differences between these guns related to weight and balance. I probably find the MP5 the best balanced for me to shoot, but its the only thing I have that has a plastic/nonrailed foreend. I'm not recoil sensitive so I'm probably not the greatest at what you want to know on that. It definitely runs softer than the blowback guns. My perception is that is a tiny bit more than my MP5 and MPX. But I don't know if that may relate to barrel as the MP5 and my MPX both have longer barrels. The CMMG is obviously much cheaper than the other two in terms of initial cost, and if you add in the mag price situation, way cheaper. Not sure if that's any help, hopefully you will find someone to let you shoot one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have one, and just about every other pistol caliber 9mm "carbine" you could have. I've had no operational issues with the CMMG of any kind FWIW and I've been using it as my competition gun lately, so its had quite a few rounds. I use an AR all the time so it seems completely normal to me to run it. I don't notice any real differences between these guns related to weight and balance. I probably find the MP5 the best balanced for me to shoot, but its the only thing I have that has a plastic/nonrailed foreend. I'm not recoil sensitive so I'm probably not the greatest at what you want to know on that. It definitely runs softer than the blowback guns. My perception is that is a tiny bit more than my MP5 and MPX. But I don't know if that may relate to barrel as the MP5 and my MPX both have longer barrels. The CMMG is obviously much cheaper than the other two in terms of initial cost, and if you add in the mag price situation, way cheaper. Not sure if that's any help, hopefully you will find someone to let you shoot one.

Thank you for the reply hrcjon, it is helpful. One question, have you shot the CZ Scorpion pistol? If so have does the Scorpion compare to the Banshee regarding softness in recoil?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Yes I have a CZ. I shoot all these PPC like guns with a brace and so recoil really isn't something that I notice. I shot the MPX, MP5 and the CMMG over the last two weeks so I'm pretty 'current' on the recoil perception. I haven't shot the CZ in awhile as actually what bothers me for using it in competition is the trigger which I haven't yet fixed. So I don't really feel confident giving you a perception. The best I could offer is I'll just take a CZ with me to the next PCC match on Thursday night and see what I think with it fresh in my mind.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I have a CZ. I shoot all these PPC like guns with a brace and so recoil really isn't something that I notice. I shot the MPX, MP5 and the CMMG over the last two weeks so I'm pretty 'current' on the recoil perception. I haven't shot the CZ in awhile as actually what bothers me for using it in competition is the trigger which I haven't yet fixed. So I don't really feel confident giving you a perception. The best I could offer is I'll just take a CZ with me to the next PCC match on Thursday night and see what I think with it fresh in my mind.

Great appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

posted Hide Post
I don’t have the 9mm but do have the .45 version. It has been 100% reliable and accurate. It truly feels like shooting a 9mm. The 9mm version is reported by some to feel like shooting a .22 AR. I will tell you the .45 recoils less than my 9mm.

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the Bushnell Lil P’s on closeout at Natchezss. They are a perfect match for a AR pistol.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bushnell Lil P’s

Thanks for the nice pictures usncorpsman, your Banshee looks like a predator bobcat stalking prey in the grass. Thanks.

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two Turkish MP5s and an MPX and a Guard (the 8” variant of the Banshee). I’ve also rented a Scorpion.

I would put them in order in terms of recoil, the MPX is the softest shooter and then the MP5 and then the Guard and in distant fourth, the Scorpion. I feel the same way as you when it comes to direct blowback PCCs. The Guard is way softer than a direct blowback and only somewhat harsher than other systems. I really like mine.

The only issue I ever had with mine was the fault of a 5.56 trigger group but CMMG remedied it without a thought even though I bought the gun gently used. I later dropped a CMC 9mm specific trigger in it and I couldn’t be happier.

I am in the process of upgrading a few more things on it now.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey hrcjon...

Since you have so much experience shooting these things, you say you are running them all with pistol braces... what is your preference on an AR pistol and why? Both of mine are older and just have foam on AR pistol buffers, I keep thinking about buying a brace but they vary widely in price and I end up never actually buying one!

Thanks!

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly I have not done an extensive test, but I prefer the SB Tactical SBA3.

posted Hide Post
Took your advice and ordered that little prism sight. $150 seems like a good deal and I have a 9mm AR PPC upper inbound that will need a sight. Hope I like it.

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s all I use nowadays also. My Guard has a Shockwave and I’m changing it out pronto.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the SBPDW. More expensive, but I like the design better.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

I like the SBPDW. More expensive, but I like the design better.

$300 Eek Nice but...... I would have to pay the $200 for a tax stamp and a real stock before a brace that could be made illegal to shoulder at any time by the ATF.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue of the ATF doesn't relate to the type or cost of the brace. I think that they will have a hard time getting this issue reverted... But in any case I haven't used the SBPDW that Sig2340 likes but looking at the specs on the surface it has two serious issues for me. It uses its own buffer tube. Now I am able to move the brace part between various guns easily. Second its less adjustable than the SBA3. Maybe it does something substantially better to offset those? I have that type on my mpx but I don't find it better in that application and I had to get aftermarket rods to get the LOP right.
FWIW.

posted Hide Post
I can’t add much on the comparative recoil of various PCCs but my 5” CMMG Banshee 9mm was pretty soft to start with. However I was more concerned about flatness so I followed some mod recommendations on ARFcom and my Banshee is now very flat shooting. No change in reliability with a dedicated suppressor... it’s been 100% since day one. This has become one of my favorite guns to shoot. I’m shooting with the SBA3 brace which I like a lot.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to follow up.

Natchez sent me the little prism Bushnell sight, it arrived yesterday. I unboxed it and was totally unprepared for how tiny it it! If you look at that photo of the AR pistol above, you can see that there is two little mounting plates under it. Just the very top is the sight... and then you realize that AR pistol is quite small.

This thing is like the size of half a roll of quarters! I do like the etched reticle and that is sweet that it runs like that with no battery at all. It is so small that it seems like it would be a good backup emergency sight... maybe mounted on one of those 45 degree side mounts?

I put in the battery and it fired right up. It does seem like it is well made. When my 9mm upper finally gets here, I'll mount it up and see what I think when actually shooting it.

Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I take it that the Banshee upper will work with both Colt and Glock style lowers?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I can’t add much on the comparative recoil of various PCCs but my 5” CMMG Banshee 9mm was pretty soft to start with. However I was more concerned about flatness so I followed some mod recommendations on ARFcom and my Banshee is now very flat shooting. No change in reliability with a dedicated suppressor... it’s been 100% since day one. This has become one of my favorite guns to shoot. I’m shooting with the SBA3 brace which I like a lot.

What mods did you make? I have the banshee in 5.7 which is by nature flat, but still curious?

based on my experience, the Banshee line is top notch and really like these CMMG pistols.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:

What mods did you make? I have the banshee in 5.7 which is by nature flat, but still curious?

based on my experience, the Banshee line is top notch and really like these CMMG pistols.

I installed a VLTOR A5 buffer tube (that I had laying around), Tubbs flat spring (also had), and Kynshot 5007 hydraulic buffer. I also replaced the ripbrace with a standard SBA3 brace and Larue trigger I had. Even with the VLTOR tube, the LOP is still (just) under 13.5”. More importantly, it’s much more tame too shoot and very quick back on target. I liked it so much that I am playing with Tubbs (and Sprinco) springs with Kynshot 5005 hydraulic buffers in my ARs.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post