SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old revolver back in the field
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old revolver back in the field Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Back in 1995 I bought a Smith and Wesson 640-1 to carry off-duty and backup. After several years I sold it to one of my peers who wanted a backup. I had moved on to a new subcompact...

Fast forward to last year..my friend was willing to trade it back for something I had. It came back to me like this (basically the same as it was when I sold it in the early 2000's)... The old pachmyers were hard and slippery from age, losing most of its shock absorbing...it also slipped all over in recoil. The front sight was just the old blade and hard to see (I don't remember it being that hard when I was younger...)

Here it is now...added are a TruGlo TFX sight, new hogue grips, and APEX Duty Trigger upgrade...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 186 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Whooo, very nice subtle upgrade

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Wow that’s a nice facelift. I never even thought about changing out the front sight, I’m going on Truglo’s web sight now.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
How difficult was swapping out the front sight? I have a couple of small revolvers that I'd like to replace the front sights on, but have been scared off because it looks like you need to drill the hole in the sight for the roll pin to go through. They way I've read to do it is to punch out the pin, remove the existing site, seat the new sight base in the slot, then use the roll-pin hole in the barrel as a guide to drill through the sight. I'm no machinist (don't even own a drill press), and I'm a little intimidated by the thought of drilling on my gun...

Posts: 8527 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
How difficult was swapping out the front sight? I have a couple of small revolvers that I'd like to replace the front sights on, but have been scared off because it looks like you need to drill the hole in the sight for the roll pin to go through. They way I've read to do it is to punch out the pin, remove the existing site, seat the new sight base in the slot, then use the roll-pin hole in the barrel as a guide to drill through the sight. I'm no machinist (don't even own a drill press), and I'm a little intimidated by the thought of drilling on my gun...

I had a gunsmith do it. The sight was so old they had to weld a shelf onto the old sight just to move it. Any S&W front sight has to be drilled because each one is installed individually so there is no standard hole setup. If you're not comfortable, I'd pay the money to a local gunsmith. It's not super expensive and you're supporting local small business.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun. I love that front sight. For some reason or another,I am getting back into revolvers more and more and they are becoming my gun of choice.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most S&W j frames have an integral front sight - part of the barrel. There is no pin to remove and replace the sight. One needs a few tools - or a good gunsmith to remove the old sight and prepare for a new night sight.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j38:
Most S&W j frames have an integral front sight - part of the barrel. There is no pin to remove and replace the sight. One needs a few tools - or a good gunsmith to remove the old sight and prepare for a new night sight.

Jerry

XS does make a sight for the integral sight models - it involves some machining so it’s best left to someone who knows how to do that. (For me that would be a gunsmith.). The 640/60 magnums and a lot of the scandium models all use pinned front sights. These “can” be replaced by punching the pin and pulling the old sight - then replacing it with a new sight you drill and pin in. There are options which is nice.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Like an loyal old friend returning and a useful friend at that.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice you got it back, but no way I can bring myself to call a gun made of stainless steel from the 90’s old

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great make over you did on that one .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Nothing like a Smith snuby in the pocket to keep you comfortable in troubled times.

John

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice new accessories on her. Do those Hogues have storage at the bottom?

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:
Nice new accessories on her. Do those Hogues have storage at the bottom?

No I guess it’s their new version that snaps in place with a hard plastic heel.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 640/60 magnums and a lot of the scandium models all use pinned front sights.

Yeah my J-Frame is a 360 scandium, and it is held in place with a roll pin. The front sight in that gun actually isn't too bad, but I have an SP101 and a Speed-Six that use a similar design, and the front sight on the Speed-Six is pretty buggered (I got it used but before that it had a rough life). I cleaned it up a bit with a file, but replacing it would be a lot nicer. It looks like there are some nice options out there that would be a lot easier to acquire than a plain black blade, too.

Posts: 8527 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm going to replace the front sight on my Combat Masterpiece now.

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post