SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .357 Sig barrel in a 40 S&W pistol. New sights needed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Sig barrel in a 40 S&W pistol. New sights needed? Login/Join 
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted
I have a 226 in .40 and a Glock 23. Will POI at 30 yards significantly change if I pick up .357 barrels for them?

7mm

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mm Mauser:
I have a 226 in .40 and a Glock 23. Will POI at 30 yards significantly change if I pick up .357 barrels for them?

7mm

For sure .357sig shoots flatter. Read elsewhere about 2" higher at 25 yards.

What are the sight numbers on the P226, front and back?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it won't make enough difference to worry about.

Glock sticks the same sights on the G23 as the G32, and I use the same aftermarket sights on both.

At 25 yards, the difference between 1050 fps and 1250 fps isn't significant enough to worry about bullet drop making a difference. If you're shooting out past 100 yards, maybe you'd notice a difference, but once you go shoot it and figure out where the rounds are impacting, it's a matter of holding anyway.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 SIG shoots flatter at distance, but .40 S&W impacts higher. SIG usually installs a #6 front and #8 rear sight on .40 S&W pistols and #8 front and rear on 357 SIG and 9 mm pistols. The #6 front sight is taller than the #8 front.

I think you will find that if you switch barrels in the same slide with the same height, the .40 S&W will have a point of impact a little higher than the 357 SIG at 25 yards or less. That is certainly the case in my P229. The difference in POI is not enough to bother me and is easily accommodated for by a small change in hold. With the slightly longer sight radius of the P226 the difference in POI will be slightly less.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted Hide Post
SIGWolf:

What are the sight numbers on the P226, front and back?

Front sight 6 Rear sight 8

7mm

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
The set for 9mm and 357SIG are the same:
8 front, 8 rear.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SIG sight numbers are just a general starting point. The particular number combination that works best will vary by individual gun, the ammo, and the shooter.

Shoot the gun. If it shoots high or low then use the numbering system to adjust.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
I never noticed any real difference when I swapped the 357 Sig barrel in my P229 back in the day.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post