SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG MPX 8 inch versus 4.5 inch barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG MPX 8 inch versus 4.5 inch barrel Login/Join 
posted
I had a great day at the range on Friday when the manager that BRA in Chantilly VA let me shoot his MPX with a nice red dot. I burned up 100 rounds of ammunition quite quickly as the gun was so enjoyable to shoot. With the optic I was easily hitting my market 25 yards. The gun came equipped with the telescopic pistol brace.

I was considering getting this easy scorpion Evo pistol because it was cheaper but the MPX shoots much nicer and I do not believe you can get a telescopic pistol brace for the scorpion.

Anyway what is the preference for barrel length on the MPX, the 8 inch barrel or the 4.5 inch barrel? The shorter barrel seems much easier for compactness and comfort but when I shot the 8 inch barrel it was nice to have the extended reach.

If anyone has any opinions, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks and have a nice day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you plan to suppress it? Yes? 4.5.
No? 8.

Mine is 4.5 because I shoot it suppressed.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I went with the shorter barrel on mine - but then put a suppressor on it.
My overall length is about the same as the one with the 8 inch barrel... but now it's nice and quiet Smile

Edit to add pic:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: creslin,

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I put a 4" on mine and absolutely love it. Its a PCC PDW that i dont expect to ever be shooting out past 20m or thereabouts - usually much closer, so im not losing much having a 4" bbl over an 8" in terms of velocity, lethality, or anything. And it does make suppression more compact and fun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I put a 4" on mine and absolutely love it. Its a PCC PDW that i dont expect to ever be shooting out past 20m or thereabouts - usually much closer, so im not losing much having a 4" bbl over an 8" in terms of velocity, lethality, or anything. And it does make suppression more compact and fun.

What rail?

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Lancer's carbon fiber mlok rail

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pictures guys. I want one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
There are some nice gains in muzzle velocity and kinetic energy going from 4" to 8".

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/9mm.html

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
No? 8.

Help a suppressor neophyte...why is it preferable to shoot the 4.5 suppressed?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
No? 8.

Help a suppressor neophyte...why is it preferable to shoot the 4.5 suppressed?

Length, mostly. Adding another 4 to 8 inches on the end of a 4" bbl is more manageable than adding it to an 8" bbl.

posted Hide Post
Cession,

Which can did you go with?

Then I Heard The Voice Of The Lord Saying "Whom Shall I Send? And Who Will Go For Us?" And I Said, " Here I Am, Send Me."
Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 35 | Location: East Texas | Registered: August 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Creslin,

Tom

Then I Heard The Voice Of The Lord Saying "Whom Shall I Send? And Who Will Go For Us?" And I Said, " Here I Am, Send Me."
Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 35 | Location: East Texas | Registered: August 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by azpps:
Creslin,

Tom

Omega 9k

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I split the difference and chopped by barrel to 6". The nice thing is that you can get it rehreaded to RH threads which is better if you're threading it, and more importantly, make sit more compact if using a 3 lug adaptor. I usually use a Griffin Revo9 in the short, K configuration, and I love this setup. Plus, with the original hand guard, the DNA tucks under it, giving you that longer reach. Compact, but you get a bit of more velocity than a 4.5.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I considered going 6" and might still do so. the 4" I have is nice, though. Any photos, Shackelford?