SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 That Is Closest to a Glock 19...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 That Is Closest to a Glock 19... Login/Join 
posted
Which combination of P320 modules is the closest in size and weight to a Glock model 19...?..what combination would be slightly smaller/lighter...?

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Compact. Slightly more bulky.
Subcompact, slightly smaller but still a bit chunky.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
All 320 compacts are shipped with medium grips. If you switch to small grips, it will be close to a G19. I have both. I'm just having a tough time getting small grips due to availability plus my 320 has the manual safety which makes it even harder to find replacement grips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
Not sure I fully agree with the poster above me stating the Compact Small grip is as gloss to a G19 as you'll get. The slides are almost identical in length, width and height. The grip frame/module are what makes the difference in overall height and "bore axis" differences.

I personally think the P320SC/SCR versions are the best size for overall concealed carry. The 3.6" barrel is more than accurate enough and don't poke my giblets the way the longer barrel Compact does.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brobert225
posted Hide Post
The 320 carries big IMO. the slide is wider and the takedown lever was not well thought out adding additional width. I the compact is close but no glock 19 from a carry perspective.

Posts: 1835 | Location: KY | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Size wise, a P320SC or P320C with a SC frame is the closest dimensions, however it is just as heavy as a G19 but with 3 fewer rounds.

The P320C is taller, wider, and heavier than a G19.

Part of the reason is the Picantiny rail vs the Glock rail (adds height) and the fatty slide of the P320. Then there are the Glock 19 magazines, which defy time and space in their ability to take 15rds, vs the larger SIG 15rd magazines.

There just is no comparison - so for that reason I carry a G19, having tried to carry a P320C then a P320C w/SC frame. It just didn't make sense.

Especially if you end up carrying a Large size Compact grip frame. Its wide and fat (while comfortable to shoot).

That is the thing the G19 has cracked - the perfect combination of size, weight, and capacity that everyone else overshoots or undershoots.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, no offense intended, but I'll offer my opinion. That's just what it is...opinion. I've carried concealed for 50 years, so I have a few opinions.

I carry on a daily basis, usually IWB. Will also carry with belt holster, usually winter. Nearly all my leather is Sparks VM-2 (IWB) and #55BN (belt). I carry a G19 and P320C 9mm as well as larger guns. Either works fine for me.

1) Raw individual measurement data between carry guns is nearly useless between similar size/weight guns. Posters usually request this info 98% of the time.

2) More important is all the other variables and combinations thereof, that determine the suitability for a given individual. Primary performance characteristics of the pistol/holster/belt system are: concealability, comfort and speed of draw.

3) Pistol measurements. It's not just the numbers, it's also the contours and shape of the overall pistol. Just a couple of examples. The only significant measurement difference between the two guns is the height. Even that isn't a big deal (for me), since it's .3". Some dimensions are offsets: G19 slide slightly narrower, but squared at rear. P320 is angled. P320 grip slightly wider, but more ergonomic. The P320C 9mm and G19 fully loaded with 115gr +P+ weigh 32.4 and 31.0 ounces respectively - which is no difference. You can drive yourself nuts with all the variables.
Note that the P320C can be fit with a SC Small no-rail grip frame module. You lose three rounds, but the grip is SIGNIFICANTLY lower profile than the Compact grip (or the G19).

3) Holster variables. Will gun be carried in IWB or belt holster? What brand? Makes a difference in carry/draw angle and how deep the gun rides. When I carry, I always use two spare mag carriers. Whatever you use, pay the money for a quality product. Always amazes me when I see a guy with a $1,000 gun who wants to save $30 on a holster.

4) Shooter's anatomy. Makes a BIG difference (pun intended). Some guys can carry a full size gun with no problems, some struggle with a compact. Depends. It's not just your size, it's also your shape. Contrary to popular belief, a beer belly can be a superb concealment device for EDC. Smile

5) Holster. Obvious difference between IWB and OWB. Within each style, lots of variations among manufacturers/models. Not a good/bad thing. Just a matter of what works for you. I don't view a holster in isolation, it is a SYSTEM. Holster, mag carriers, belt and the intended carry piece.

6) Clothing. If you like to dress like a male fashion model, you're probably not going to do it with a compact pistol on your side. I don't dress like a slob, but I've always dressed to accommodate my carry mode. Obviously, seasonality and climate in your area affect your choices.

7) Philosophy. My own philosophy is that I carry a gun in case I NEED one. If I need one, I don't want it to be a pipsqueak. Smallest I carry as a primary is my P239 .40, P320C with SC grip frame module, or Colt LW Cmdr. Over the decades, I've had two what I call "near misses" with perps. I KNEW what was going to happen with 100% certainty. Per Mas Ayoob, "lethal threat management" prevented them from escalating to their intended plan. Didn't have to draw. However, had no thoughts about the suitability of the gun I was carrying at the time. Both in IWB, Sig P229 .40 and Colt LW Cmdr.

Anybody who has routinely carried probably has a large box of old holsters and other leather (and/or Kydex). You just have to actually wear the stuff daily to figure out what works for you. There are no shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
- Corrected Item 3 bullet weight from 155 to 115.
- Added Colt LW Cmdr to Item 7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Great advice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 Subcompact with Compact magazines and X-grip adapter gives you 15 rounds and is comparable to a G19 in size. At present, all Subcompact frames have the small grip.

You do give up the rail, but that makes it easier to carry.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
At present, all Subcompact frames have the small grip.

No. There's a Medium subcompact grip too.

The Small SC grip has no rail. The Medium SC grip has a rail.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One caveat with pistols using X-Grip adapters. Depends on your hand size and specific pistol/mag.

I have a Gen4 G19 and an ample supply of G19 mags. Out of curiosity, I ordered and X-Grip to allow use of my G34 mags. Two observations:

1) The X-Grip has a very nice feel on the G19 and is a slight improvement on the native short grip. The lower part of my palm rests on the top of the adapter (rear).

2) During reloads, the mag fails to drop free. It will drop, of course, if it's stripped with the free hand or the gun hand is re-positioned. Neither is desirable in a defensive pistol. One more thing to go wrong.

Sure, you could practice a technique that will allow it to drop. However, I don't want to have one defensive gun out of my inventory that requires a different reloading technique. For me, the trade off for two or three more rounds isn't worth it.

For those that don't have the above problem...go for it.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
At present, all Subcompact frames have the small grip.

No. There's a Medium subcompact grip too.

The Small SC grip has no rail. The Medium SC grip has a rail.

Right -- I forgot about the railed one. I actually have one, but I don't use it. What I'd really like is a Subcompact medium grip frame with no rail.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
1) The X-Grip has a very nice feel on the G19 and is a slight improvement on the native short grip. The lower part of my palm rests on the top of the adapter (rear).

2) During reloads, the mag fails to drop free. It will drop, of course, if it's stripped with the free hand or the gun hand is re-positioned. Neither is desirable in a defensive pistol. One more thing to go wrong.

I have a P320 Subcompact and several Compact mags with X-grips. With the P320, they drop free easily.

Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
quote:
OP, no offense intended, but I'll offer my opinion. That's just what it is...opinion. I've carried concealed for 50 years, so I have a few opinions.

I carry on a daily basis, usually IWB. Will also carry with belt holster, usually winter. Nearly all my leather is Sparks VM-2 (IWB) and #55BN (belt). I carry a G19 and P320C 9mm as well as larger guns. Either works fine for me.

1) Raw individual measurement data between carry guns is nearly useless between similar size/weight guns. Posters usually request this info 98% of the time.

2) More important is all the other variables and combinations thereof, that determine the suitability for a given individual. Primary performance characteristics of the pistol/holster/belt system are: concealability, comfort and speed of draw.

3) Pistol measurements. It's not just the numbers, it's also the contours and shape of the overall pistol. Just a couple of examples. The only significant measurement difference between the two guns is the height. Even that isn't a big deal (for me), since it's .3". Some dimensions are offsets: G19 slide slightly narrower, but squared at rear. P320 is angled. P320 grip slightly wider, but more ergonomic. The P320C 9mm and G19 fully loaded with 115gr +P+ weigh 32.4 and 31.0 ounces respectively - which is no difference. You can drive yourself nuts with all the variables.
Note that the P320C can be fit with a SC Small no-rail grip frame module. You lose three rounds, but the grip is SIGNIFICANTLY lower profile than the Compact grip (or the G19).

3) Holster variables. Will gun be carried in IWB or belt holster? What brand? Makes a difference in carry/draw angle and how deep the gun rides. When I carry, I always use two spare mag carriers. Whatever you use, pay the money for a quality product. Always amazes me when I see a guy with a $1,000 gun who wants to save $30 on a holster.

4) Shooter's anatomy. Makes a BIG difference (pun intended). Some guys can carry a full size gun with no problems, some struggle with a compact. Depends. It's not just your size, it's also your shape. Contrary to popular belief, a beer belly can be a superb concealment device for EDC. Smile

5) Holster. Obvious difference between IWB and OWB. Within each style, lots of variations among manufacturers/models. Not a good/bad thing. Just a matter of what works for you. I don't view a holster in isolation, it is a SYSTEM. Holster, mag carriers, belt and the intended carry piece.

6) Clothing. If you like to dress like a male fashion model, you're probably not going to do it with a compact pistol on your side. I don't dress like a slob, but I've always dressed to accommodate my carry mode. Obviously, seasonality and climate in your area affect your choices.

7) Philosophy. My own philosophy is that I carry a gun in case I NEED one. If I need one, I don't want it to be a pipsqueak. Smallest I carry as a primary is my P239 .40, P320C with SC grip frame module, or Colt LW Cmdr. Over the decades, I've had two what I call "near misses" with perps. I KNEW what was going to happen with 100% certainty. Per Mas Ayoob, "lethal threat management" prevented them from escalating to their intended plan. Didn't have to draw. However, had no thoughts about the suitability of the gun I was carrying at the time. Both in IWB, Sig P229 .40 and Colt LW Cmdr.

Anybody who has routinely carried probably has a large box of old holsters and other leather (and/or Kydex). You just have to actually wear the stuff daily to figure out what works for you. There are no shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Excellent post - spot on

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blindref:
quote:

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Excellent post - spot on

Beer gut spill over results in 3 draw strokes for deep concealment aiwb carry. Lift concealment tissue, establish master grip and start draw, draw and present. Bonus points to dudes that can conceal without a shirt on.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Any pics of the shirtless concealed carry would be best kept to yourself, thank you.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shirtless carry is all a matter of gun selection.

Works fine with my Seecmp .32. Not so fine with my P226.

The obvious solution is to drink more beer. Razz